Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password protecting a hard drive?

• 13-09-2000 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Lo,

I'm using Win98, and have 2 hard drives partitioned to 6 drives. What I want to know is.. is there anyway of password protecting one of these hard drives. i.e when you try to access d: for example you are prompted for a password. And that nothing will write to the disk unless its left unlocked ?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

why would you want to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Har har, bubbs wants to hide his donkey pr0n collection from his bro's prying eyes wink.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I told u about 2 years ago about PGP disk and how it works

Blade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

No its not for p0rn or anything like that. Its actually for a machine in work.

And blade - i don't want to encrypt it, i want to password protect it. (There might be an option in PGP for that, but I can't install it in work. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

HMMMM, they have a dodgy progy in school, that hides the HD, And control panels.

dodgy though.

John.

I got a smarty Linux programme that turns windows 98 into a Nt machine, I mean to say the way you log on etc. Protects the whole machine very well.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

policy editor methinks, you can disallow access to nearly everything depending on a user profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not in win98 you cant rob.
    theres no security in win98 unless its a third party program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, thats what the programme I have does. Its really good for protecting the whole machine, didnt get into it much, maybe you can pass protect a harddrive.

I'll find the name out for ya.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Not a direct answer, but Norton/Symantec do a package that can completely hide partitions from the OS. I don't know how dynamic it is though (ie. can you hide/unhide it at will during use).
    Other than that, there's no way I know of to protect one locally, over the network it's easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

Have you looked at PD SECURE for locking down a partition? It works brilliantly for locking and securing a hard drive/computer and it's pretty good (stable) with W98.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any idea where to get that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

As some abovee said, you can use poledit.
    Comes free with windows ( what's this about only 3rd party security ?!?! ) It is quite easily oversome if you know that poledit is what is being used, otherwise it's handy.

on the windows cd.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Thanx lads, I'll give some of those a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

You can get PD secure from Compustore in Ireland and it's carried by either Priority Data Solutions or Entropy as well.

Advertisement