Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone Interested In Doing Some Skins / Remoddeling / Re-Programming!?

• 11-01-2002 2:25pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Righteo, I know the VAR Mission pack already has a seperate thread, but thats mainly for maps and map details - I doubt anyone would notice my request for a skinner / modeller / programmer at the bottom of two pages containing pics and rants :D

Basically I have a few idea's I'd like to implement in this game if possible, to get things varied...
    Already we've got a chap working on a Different Shotgun, and a Colt, to use in the Mod (Was originally called a Mission Pack until all these offers came about to add new stuff - I love you guys :D )
    so I was hoping that there were other people out there willing to do some decent skins / models (Something I have absolutely no experience with at all)...
    Nothing too drastic... I'll list some things I'd like...

+To convert / Skin / Model the underwater creature in HL (Itchyosaur I believe) into a Shark... Shouldn't be too hard...

+Convert the Grunt into a more formal looking enemy (Possibly a suit or, as suggested by the VAR lads) leather jackets?)

+If possible, a variety of new weaponry - We should be able to get the M1 and M4 in, but it would be nice to have a whole new set of weapons rather than two new ones and all the old ones...

+Convert the HEV Suit into a BP Vest (Bulletproof) and hopefully remove the HEV Sounds... It was done by some other modder, but he never explained HOW he done it - bastard...

+Convert all the HL monsters into new ones...

As for the programming side...

+Would like to convert the barney's into a more formal type of bloke, with more HP and a Deagle as opposed to a stupid 9mm.

+Would like to use the re-skinned grunts as the boss type humans, so I'd like to get them topped up in health and damage respects also...

And any other improvements a programmer thinks he/she could contribute... No more idea's at the present moment...

If you want details on the current progress of the MOD, please check the VAR Mission pack thread... I hope someone out there can help meh!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by RopeDrink

+To convert / Skin / Model the underwater creature in HL (Itchyosaur I believe) into a Shark... Shouldn't be too hard...

I think it'd have to be remodelled from scratch, although i dont have a clue, i'm not a modeller :)

+Convert the Grunt into a more formal looking enemy (Possibly a suit or, as suggested by the VAR lads) leather jackets?)

That's be a reskin then, no changes needed to the model, only the clothes are a skin.

+If possible, a variety of new weaponry - We should be able to get the M1 and M4 in, but it would be nice to have a whole new set of weapons rather than two new ones and all the old ones...

I'd love to help, since i live near RaVeN and he's a 1337 modeller maybe i'll get some tips and make a plasma GUN!!! or maybe just some kind of death bringing gun :p

+Convert the HEV Suit into a BP Vest (Bulletproof) and hopefully remove the HEV Sounds... It was done by some other modder, but he never explained HOW he done it - bastard...

don't have a clue how to do this, i imagine it's somewhere in the code.

+Convert all the HL monsters into new ones...

That'd be a very hard/long/arduous(wtf?) task

As for the programming side...
    I couldn't help you at all, the amount i know about halflife code, or any code in general could fit into a midgets left testicle. [i.e very small thing :D

Anyway, thats about it i think :)
    -DrakE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Rope if you could get pics of the guns that you want it would be alot easier. The pics have to be a side view with reasonably good quality.

Here are a couple of sites:
    http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/gallery.htm
    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/pictures.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

I must start modelling. I have 3d Studio Max 3. Does anybody know any good tutorial sites for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

You know, maybe we should put the Uprising Mod on hold until we hear from Torc (come to mention it, maybe someone should actually confirm we can use their engine?) and start working on Rope's cool MOD/Mission-Pack type thing. I think I could do some of the minor tweaking given enough time, and I'm certain I could make the shark (at least I think I am.) but there are others, far more experienced than I to do it, but thats the whole point. Give us the chance to learn some new/neat stuff. All in favour say, Uber-sk1llz-CS RO><ORS-1LuVjP'sSiSTeR :D

Bring on the sharks,

Ivan,
    P.s If you dont have a sniper rifle I'll have to break off my arms + beat you to death with em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Yes the Uprising MOD has offical permission from Torc Interactive to use thier new engine once it's finished.

Rope as far as removing the sound goes why not just change it to something like the armour sound in CS or picking up a backpack in TFC. All you have to do is get the origninal file name and what /dir it is in, then create a folder in hl/sounds and place your file in there with the same filename as the HEV one. I did'nt explain that too good did I :) Anyway if ya need help give me a shout on IRC.

Sorry for any bad spelling/grammar Im bloody tired :0

• Advertisement

i understand what you mean daz..

rope, yopu need to get pakscape or pak explorer! download them from www.download.com

or maybe i could give them to you on a floppy, they're around 1mb.

opening the pak0.pak in the valve dir will give you the list of sounds/models/everything in the halflife game.

you'll need to make your own .pak to remove the hev logon sounds.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Been a while since I got to check things out...

Ok, here's the drill - I have someone sending me Milkshape and various other proggies that could come in handy, and I've recieve plenty of uber handy tools on CD from Ronan|Raven (Including the pak explorer) so I can create my own .pak for the mod using my own sounds, and the skins / models that all you really helpful people out there are helping me with...

Ok, here's a little listing of things I'd like to try...

MONSTERS
    Skins / Re-Model
    ItchyoSaur - Skin / remodel into a Shark (The model wouldn't need to be edited much, it's the perfect length for a shark, but it'll need to be remodelled to have fins and a huge sharky mouth full of nasty big shiny teeth... Nyom.

Grunts - I'd like to have them a little taller, they look so small. Also, as for the skin, I'd actually prefer them to have some form of business suit and tie (Pretty much like the gman, but pitch black) - It wouldn't suit unless the models were made to be a little taller though...

Barney - The Prime enemy in the game - I'd like them to be made a little taller also, and be reskinned to have a sort of dark blue police suit / uniform and a deagle rather than a ****ty 9mm pistol...

Alien Slave - I'd much prefer to have them skinned pitch black, rather than that crappy green, and have flaring red eyes (Like the Stalkers from my novel) - As for the model, a lot more muscle and broader, but not so tall (They're hunched in the novel, sort of like the freaks from Resident Evil - The Green chaps that try to lob your head off)

Scientist - Would suit the mod if they were skinned to have a sort of Jeans + Denim jacket look, or something very casual - They may have been scientists, but they didn't have to dress like them in this mod... Anything casual really.

Zombie - These will be the secondary prime enemy in the game, so they simply MUST be made to look better... They should be remodelled to be quite a LOT bigger in size, and basically, look like a walking corpse with flesh missing from their joints (Knees, elbows, neck, two or three fingers etc... As for the skin, I doubt they'd actually wear any cloths, so you can imagine the type of skin to apply ;)

Custom - The Spydra...
    Model - This is a creature from the novel - They are basically human spiders - Everything about them is spiderlike, except they have two arms, and a human head rather than a spider one... They're quite long, but not tall, so the legs would go outward, so that when standing up, it's not percieved to be big at all...
    Skin - Blue skin, with nooks and crannies all over it's body (Like tiny pot holes), a cut along their back which shows their greenish blood, a bit of hair all over, lots of muscle on the body, and the legs are tough looking, but thin, and darker than the original skin colour...

Also, I wish to have boss fights thrown around the mod, but it'll be the VAR members you face, rather than big bad bastard creatures, so they might ALL need a seperate model, so that I can assign sounds to them also (Im getting all the VAR lads to record sounds that their character says)
    So I was thinking - If you made the sort of Suit type grunt that I mentioned above, copied / pasted it a rake of times, and added a small change to each and save them under different names, I'd get away with it - I was thinking of having a rank system on the suit, much like the basic one you'd get from Army uniform, so that said I'd need one suit with 5 stripes (On the shoulders), two suits with 4 stripes, four suits with 3 stripes, and four suits with 2 stripes...

Save the 5 stripe as RopeDrink, the two 4 stripe's as ][cEMAN and Occy, the four 3 stripes as Clown, Chief, Tactanni, AngelWhore and the four two stripes as Peyote, Drake, Soop and Samba... I'll apply their voices to the model in the .pak from there :D

WEAPONS
    Skins / Remodel
    Two shotguns - One extremely similar to the M3 in CS (My favourite) and one like this one here - http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1100/1145.htm

Colt Carbine - Similar to the one in CS, but with no silencer...
    (Edit the skin from the CS Colt a little, make it more of a shiny teal / turquoise colour - Took a pic from your Link, RaveN :D
    http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0600/692.htm

A Deagle - Pick any type you like, they're all good, but make it a recent looking one, none of that Dirty Harry 6 Shooter jargan like the HL one, and not like the CS one...

As for everything else, thanks for the info guys - I took a look inside a few pak's to learn about them, and I deducted last light that I could get rid of HEV sounds by simply deleting them from my .pak :D God im a genius etc etc, but also, that I can implement my custom sounds to models straight away (I think) so one burning question remains - How do I assign a .pak to my mod (Or in other words, get it to use MINE rather than the valve / hl one!?) I have many .paks from many new mods, but it only goes as far as pak2 or 3, so is it safe to assume making a pak4 would immediately link it to my mod!? I find that a little hard to believe!

Besides that, another big thanks for the support and interest - The more of it you give, the better this damn thing will be once released...

I've already made three of the arena's you'll fight some of the members of clan VAR in!

I'll get some pics!

Rope instead of making the models taller why don't you make the player smaller in the code?

Check this out if you have the time... it's way easier than me trying to explain it.

http://www.vlatitude.com/tutorials.php?tutID=43

It's for making your mod work in it's own directory like c:/sierra/half-life/varpack - for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Re-skinning models isn't as easy as it sounds... as some artifacts of clothing/equipment that appear on the skin also have lumps on the model to match them... eg: ammo belts, holsters, various straps and clothing elements... try re-skinning and you'll come across loads of them, luckily they're easy enough to remove from the reference model, but the point is - don't go skinning a model and expect not to get your hands dirty.

Check out this 'Camp Butch Barney' model I was playing around with... to put him in a sleeveless shirt took a few minutes of vertex welding around his wrists to get rid of the cuffs etc.
    campbarny.jpg
    *giggle* @ the camp animations I made for him too :P

• Advertisement

I wish to have boss fights thrown around the mod, but it'll be the VAR members you face
    Pfft, that'd be too easy :/
    Put dNC.Timo as the end boss :P

*/me headshots Mr_Clown_Man with knife****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 |dNC|Timo

:D

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Now now Santa, we've gotten a lot better as of late, and seeing as this is a mod rather than a real life extraction, I'll make damn sure you'll have quite a hard time trying to fend off four of the VAR members in almost pitch black surroundings with minimal cover etc :D

The boss fights are actually going to be very interesting... Once I get my new mic, I'll be making quite a LOT of recordings - I've got the lads working on a script + sounds to be used by the characters in the same style as the HL ones did, i.e. they'll communicate with eachother, so you'll find the actual clan members in the mod having small discussions, and having seperate sounds for when being shot in the toe by a deagle, or when they actually see you crawling around the area like a cornered rat... It'll be fun more than anything, but it all depends on if I can get seperate models for each member, so that i can rename them all and link the sounds to them...

So far I have three or four arena's done for the boss battles - There'll be none of this "The monster gets bigger and bigger as you progress", you'll be fighting higher rank players as you go along, and find them just that extra bit tougher.

Im working very hard on this, and wish to see the whole thing through - And with the help Im getting from the Game Editing Community, it'll add quite a lot of spice to this mod... I've learned a lot from Worldcraft since starting this mod, seeing as I have to map things I wouldn't even consider on a normal day... I have quite a nice looking freighter going, and it's bloody HUGE - The atmosphere is great, with all the ambient sounds...

That aside, I've got a few more things I'd like to add at some stage...

Dog's - The "They Hunger" mod changed the "Houndeye" enemy into a dog, so if you were to edit that model from the pak it should be quite easy to make a vicious bugger of a dog. I have sounds for it at home. A nice pitbull terrior would spice up ANY mod ;)

And now for something completely different.

I hate the crowbar... One thing that attracted me to the "They Hunger" series was the variation of melee weapons... Rather than the ole Crowbar, you had the TFC Umbrella, a nice shovel, Spanner etc... What do I want!? I want a chairleg + Nails... Yep, it's a provisional weapon, it's not there for comedy... If you think you can make one, then please do so :D

As for editing the code to make models smaller, I would if I knew how, but im a hopeless individual altogether...

More idea's soon. Again, cheers for the help / criticism :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Or instead of the crowbar you could use a giant Spoon! and stir your opponents to death :D

I'd prefer a brick, to be quite honest, but sadly I've chosen to create a rather realistic feel to a mod, so the Chairleg + Nails is the only slightly OTT Item you'll find...

Still, spoons are good for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by SantaHoe

Pfft, that'd be too easy :/

*/me headshots Mr_Clown_Man with knife****

??? Have you ever played against us? Cause if you haven't then WTF? and if you have then you can't have made a very big impression cause I can't remember you.

Funny thing is a lot of people who haven't played us seem to feel they can easily make a comment on the clan. Well don't.

Come play and put your money where your mouth is and we'll see from there.

A few have played us on a LAN and those who have KNOW that we're not apushover.

Just can't wait for the CPL :) yum yum own some!

What ][cE is trying to say is, "Hi Santa! You're a bold boy for saying such nasty little comments, but hello anyway - Come for a few pints with us sometime ta thx gg!"

LOL - ][cE mate, he was pulling your leg... Well at least I hope he was :(

The following is a statement from my lawyer....
    My Client who will be refered to in the following as ][cEMAN, is in a bad mood today....

He does not wish to offend but he is a sleeping dawg and somebody should have let him lay.

He would like to take no responsibility for any comments previous or further taken in and around 16/01/02 and any response should be, and will be, directed through his solicitors VAR Legal Inc.

Any likness to the name ][cEMAN or the insults brought forward by him are Copywrite ][cEMAN © and any replication wether for means of personal or public viewing will be taken seriously and reported to the poper authorities. I.e. Arsebandits Anonymous.

Iceman, you don't know me because:
    [A] I don't play much CS anymore, only for "fun"... TFC is my game
    I don't use this nick for CS, I use a different name every time I play.

I've played hundreds of times on pub servers with VAR peeps (omg clownman uses a headshot script, and tactanni is clearly a camper).
    No need to get so serious about it Ice... rope knows I'm only havin' a larf :P

Yeah sorry I know......I caught on when I actually re-read your post.

That's why I posted that second one. I h8 having to correct myself so I don't touch my original posts.

• Advertisement

...Was about to pull off one of my famous, amazing rant's, but I see that all the children are now friends, and are now playing together...

Back to the topic, I placed a rake of unused HL models into the VAR one, so there's SOME variety to start with...

Finished another arena (Four done now), plus I've really improved the ship...

I'll be giving a test .bsp of the ship soon.
    With the rate im going, I'll only need another, pffft, 2 months of mapping before Im remotely finished... Then again, im soon to have other mapping committments, so there might be massive delays, but that would give people time to think of criticism, new idea's, skins and models to give me (That is, if people are feeling generous :D )

Im off now. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    I'm soon to have other mapping committments,

oh yeah?

spill the beans pls k thx :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

HIS FIGHT WAS GOOD (in joke :D )

Originally posted by veonix
    HIS FIGHT WAS GOOD (in joke :D )
    I don't get it.

It's actually a personal matter, and will stay that way...

Anyhow, Update (Again):

Created the third Arena were you fight meh, but after another influencial bash at "RTCW" (Return To Castle Wolfenstein) I destroyed the map and started afresh... It would seem that too many boss fights are mainly just against the clan members, so Im going to spice up three or four of the end ones, and have already 75% completed the very last battle (Which really is a catchy piece of work, considering you get to hear my rather strange, weirdly annoying yet tantalizing voice via speaker all over the level while you attempt to contend with the "Hazards!" I've put out for you - Nuff said, you can alllllll wait until the mod is created...

As for MilkShape 3D, I got a limited version off Santa (Cheers, yet it's a pity I only have, what, 35days before It's rendered un-usable) and I can't even load a stupid HL model into it...

Enough about that, I must say that things are running smoothly, but it's alway nice to recieve criticism / idea's + if anyone feels they want to contribute, fire up a post...

Thanks for your time.

Heres what i did :

[IMG]http://www.smackdownwrestling.com/Benelli M3.jpg[/IMG]

carbine.jpg

And what i'm currently working on (its a Tec-9):

Tec-9.jpg

very nice m4, but i dont like the smoth shaded on the tec-9...imo it just looks stretched/gay.

the m3 is nice also, if maybe a little to light grey :/

make a laser gun that shoots lasers. I once made a mod for quake 2 with star wars style lasers but i didn't make a model i just modified the blaster code using the laser code allready in the q2 source code. nevermind. i was (still am) a **** porgrammer.

raven, tell us where u got the tutorials for 3dsmax? i found some really **** ones that are **** and useless. give us an URL for some good ones, i've no money for a book on max.

• Advertisement

Raven, those models are simply gorgeous - Love the M3...

I don't think the third one looks too "Stretched / gay" as Drake stated, but that is, entirely, my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

The last model is waiting to be skinned lads so give him a chance ;) A great skin makes a good model a great model :)

The only modelling tut you'll ever need as far as half-life is concerned.
    http://www.titaniumfrag.freeserve.co.uk/

Heres a few pic sites though your better off going to google and searching for the name of a gun.
    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/pictures.html

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/gallery.htm

http://www.recguns.com/gunPictures.html

I learn't to skin from different tuts on different sites so i don't have a particular tut to give you :(

Btw models look better smooth shaded
    http://www.smackdownwrestling.com/tec_unsmooth.jpg

ah well, if he posts a non smooth shaded tec-9 it's looks so much better :)

Rope, that idea isn't bad, and since i just started mapping again yesterday, i think i've rekindled the old mapping spark i once had :p

check out my mk23 first ever 3ds max model

one with blue texture so u can see the shape better

• Advertisement

nice thrax :)

Told you it was a good tut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I love it :D nice work on the models, gwan!

...and I am also a dirty rotten stinkin camper, just like snaggle :rolleyes:

To be quite honest Drake mate, I never actually knew you had given up on the world of mapping until you text me the last night and said you wanted to come back to it... Shesh...

Forgot to bring my disks in today, so I can't show my current progress, but I can tell you one thing - Im working on a very attractive old style village map, and it's going very well - The Freighter is basically finished, the majority of the voices have been recorded, story line is set and Im going to edit the skill values of the nasties, so that even without any new skins, the grunts will most definately be in boss form (WAY harder to kill)

Rope what do the bosses look like?
    Are the machines or monsters or people?

• Advertisement

i actually didnt use those tutorials raven, i found a different tutorial on ghost recon platoon, it was a **** tutorial but i figured most of it out myself, thanks for the sites with the gun pictures though. I'm working on a CZ 75 Automatic at the moment.

Rope are you going to add new enemy models to the mod?

The bosses are basically upgraded versions of the grunts, although you'll find some of them having simple changes to their structure such as metal plating grafted to their torso, or other simple variations from your basic grunt...

They'll be using our voice wavs, so they have to be treated as seperate models / enemies, and must all have an easy to notice difference to their look...

Overview Voice:
    Sort of like Commentary - If You achieve certain goals, find objects or secrets, arrive to a boss stage you'll here a whispery type voice notify you of this... Might sound sad, but it's actually quite fun and spices things up. I currently have one for finding a secret, and it owns - Quite spooky but also very... Sharp... *geeooaauurroonngg - SECRET -* It'll be included with the demo I'll be making for ye soon :D

PAK File:
    Currently have all sprites, and env/shell files in it plus sounds from
    Me, AngelWhore, Iceman and a rake of custom ambient and custom enemy sounds, thanks to me... Oh, and music :D

I'll be editing the main screen and HEV sounds, which will give the main character his own voice i.e. for being hit, failing to open doors etc etc - That'd be interesting - Anyone want to loan their voice to me!?

Will be making vast changes in sound linking to models - It's all avaliable in Milkshape3D, so I wont need have any real programming done bar what I edit in the models qc file...

Rakes of Textures - Lifted some from various .wad's and put them into three seperate ones... these include a chopped up garbageman wad, de_torn wad, a few TFC textures lifted also, and quite a lot of nice things put together...

I'd love to get my mitts on the Max Payne Wad but without a conn that's near impossible for me... Anyone got any handy, but small, texture wads, or can reccomend any!?

Will ya have a demonstration for us at the lan on friday?

if you're at the lan rope, i'll give you the max payne wad

Well I don't know about a proper demonstration, but I'll give you some insight...

I'll try give you guys a basic tour around a few of my layout maps and possibly show you some of the sounds that'll be used. None of the maps are officially completed, but some WILL be used pretty much indifferent to the way they are now...

If you want to see a few things about the MOD at the LAN then remind me on the day... Sure I'll be mostly mapping anyhow so you'll see me at work :D

And Drake, cheers mate - Im hoping to get some dirty city / castle type maps - Im going to link the Underground labs to the Island Chapel, so it looks like the temple I made will get the scrap... It'll give me a few prefabs though...

yay! mapp0ring!

i must finish my q3 map. Havn't worked on it for about 2 weeks now. And I have to finish my CZ 75 Automatic.

Raven will u be at the lan on friday?

i hope

ok heres the tec-9 i showed you b4. Its a little different as in its been re done. Also the skins been done.

tec-9%20with%20barrel%20extension.jpg

The clip doesn't suit it i just noticed so i'll redo it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement