Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone Interested In Doing Some Skins / Remoddeling / Re-Programming!?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

nice, but change the bullets so that they are dearker and change the top of the bullets to blaack, not red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Actually its gonna be kinda stupid if you out of ammo and theres still a whole clip in the skin. Never mind i'll put some text or something over it.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Ouchies - Looks very nice, that model does - Nyommor...

Right, I didn't get the chance to show ye much at the LAN, but as for GalwayLAN3, there'll be LOTS more time to have a little tour...

Heck I might throw in some proper enemies and let you go on a killing spree...

My latest map looks rather sweet... Now that I've fixed some of the doors, I can finally complete the station map, which I'm sure Drakeypoo's would like to test out!

Im trying to map a type of forest level, but it's too difficult with my current texture pak's etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

U gonna use Brushes or Models for the trees on that map? I'm sure raven could make some nice tree models, or you could just download some.

I figured out how to put the cs arms on models today so i'm gonna put it into cs and see how it looks. Heres the latest pic. I took out the bullets and put an intentation instead.
    .tec-9%20with%20arms.jpg
    Also Rope i tried to make a forest lvl b4 and it takes so long making the trees and bushes

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

That looks absolutely fantasmic0r.
    Absolutely gorgeously nyommity!

This mod is going to be the next thing since unsliced bread lads!

Raven, here's a new project for you if you ever get bored...

Do you think you could model a, wait for it...

...a Long bow!?

Seeing as the majority of the levels will be old style type castles / temple areas I'd likeat least one old fashioned weapon - If you don't think you can do this, do you think you could reskin the original crossbow to look wooden rather than metalic!?

Other than that please keep up the amazing work!

Ok i'll try but first whats a longbow?
    Will i try and do both or just try and do one.
    Also i there a weapon list yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

A longbow is I think like a crossbow. I think thats what he means anyway :P

Oeh My Godd0r - You don't have any idea what a longbow is!?

/me has vivid images of archer chaps with the long chunk of curved wood, with the ends tied together by a thin cord... The wood is held whilst the archer puts the arrow against the wood and the end of the arrow rests on the string - THE ARCHER PULLS THE ARROW BACK UNTIL THE BOW HAS FULLY CURVED / STRING IS AS FAR BACK AS IT CAN GO, AND THEN THE ARCHER LETS GO OF THE ARROW AND IT GOES "PEOOOOOIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG" AND HITS SOME POOR CHAP IN THE FOREHEAD!

Ok, Im sure I went overboard there but it's 9:40am and im very ill - To be more specific, the longbow is basically a very long / tall version of your basic Bow & Arrow, the extra length gives the arrow greater range... SO Basically, if you were to model one, you'd only really see the middle of the bow on the screen, and a hand holding the arrow... The bow is so bloody large it was usually the size of the person using it...

It can't be hard to model at all at all...

Daz a longbow is most definately NOT a crossbow mate, shesh I thought yall knew these things :D

Ok here's the weapons list off the top of my head...

-Melee - Metal Baseball bat or a Chairleg with loads of nails in the end... (Replaces the Crowbar - You can make whichever pleases you the most ;) )

-Pistol - P228 - Just like the Sig Handgun from CS (Replaces that ****ty bullcrud 9mm handgun in HL)

-Shotgun - Benelli M3 Super 90! Oh ****ing hell yes wan ta thx - My personal favourite!

-Sub-MachineGun - The Tec-9

-Sub-MachineGun2- Probably an MP5 Navy or something a little chunkier - If you can find a nice fat machine gun in the link to the weapons site you gave me earlier then try it out, but it'll need a mounted gren launcher and different colouring (Replaces the basic 9mm Machine Gun)

Long Bow - Replaces the Crossbow - This means the "Arrow" model for the crossbow will also have to be changed (Should be made thinner, longer, and have a Quill on the rear end, a wooden skin, and a really nice sharp looking front end for piercing brain with!)

Grenades - I'd ask for the same type of HE from CS, but then the MOD would be TOO much like CS so I was thinking of possibly having either a Gas Canister (But that would mean a new sprite animation would have to be made for the explosion), and exploding Ball (Similar to those that the Samurai or Japenese warriors would have used back in their day - It'd be simple to make - It's like a Small, Evil Red Ball that you lob! LOL!

Hmm Those are the only real solid weapons I have listed so far - I haven't thought up of any more other than:

Possibly a Flare Gun!? (Would replace the Deagle in HL)

Possibly a Mortar, to replace the Rocket launcher - Think about it - The main character actually carrying a Mortar, minus the bipods, under his arm and launching shells into Grunts Faces...

Possibly an Old Fashioned Rifle - A little like the Mauser Rifle in Wolfenstein - Infact some form of old fashioned Long rifle would be excellent - Would make a good semi-sniping rifle...

Thats all I can think of for now... My head hurts...

• Advertisement

ok i'll try the long bow. For the second sub-machine gun what weapon should it be? Does it have to have a gren launcher?
    I don't think there are many mp5's with gren launchers or maybe there is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i think he means a gren launcher for the second funstion on the standard hl mp5 :/

it has a grenade when right clic

Guys, you do realise that a gren launcher can be mounted onto almost any reasonably sized firearm or weapon...

There were many discussions on the CS Forums (The Official One, not the Boards.ie CS Board) about mounting a grenade launcher onto an M3 for crying out loud...

As you'd expect, I protested and fought against all idea's about mounted gren launchers on ANY weapon seeing as CS would be spoiled with things such as gren launchers, tear gas (Which WAS discussed on our CS Board) and other such sad things, but this isn't CS, it's the VAR Mod, and to be quite honest, I don't think it should go without the grenade launcher feature from Half-Life...

But, now that I think of it, maybe things would run smoother without complicating model designs... I think I'll leave the gren launcher out of the MOD altogether...

As for the Sub-Machine Gun, I'll let you decide on that... Seeing as your doing so much work for the mod I'll let you choose which sub takes your fancy :D

Working on lots of .wav's at the moment, the most recent being the "Trap.wav" which comes with all the lovely custom traps / obstacles I'll be throwing in, rather than your basic "Oh noe, the floor is falling out from under me, and I'll end up in pools of nasty acid!!!" feeling from Halflife...

If you've played Diablo II, it's the same type of theme - Opening boxes / blowing up crates can be quite a painful experience if you trigger the bad one in the bunch ;):D

Well i was thinking of dual mac-10's with an extended clip so each gun would have 40-50 bullets. It would tear ass easily no?
    Maybe that could be like a secret weapon or something but there are alot of weapons out there and i can't really think of anything that isn't in a game already. So any suggestions?

a long bow is basically a big mad long bow and arrow type thingumybob right?

Check my previous posts for my view on the longbow Thrax...

Dual Mac10's!?

Wouldn't be bad - Infact that would spice the game up nicely...
    What i suggest we do is we'll keep all the work you do together and, possibly at one of the LAN's when you feel you've done your duty, we'll take a look at all the models and I'll let the majority of peeps decide what they want... Im not too pushed, but one things for certain - The LongBow, M3, Melee weapon (Whichever is picked) and the nade's stay - Anything else is touch and go really - We could always throw in special weapons like you said Raven - Would give the Mod Lastability (i.e. make the players go over the mod again to see what they've missed) so whatever work you do, keep it and we'll all give it a thought...

Here's something else I've been thinking of...

Im trying to determine wether I can use a TFC / CS Style scoring system to give the MOD an RPG feel...

The more monsters you kill, the higher the score (Experience if you will) and the tougher you become... Just a thought, and if it gets any good acclaim, I'll have to start asking for programmers if needs be, although Im sure I can figure out a way to do it using the Basic HL Engine alone...

Any thoughts!?

• Advertisement

Sounds good. I'll try and get as many done b4 the next lan.

R u gonna make any multiplayer maps for it?

That would be a great little addition to add a little extra something to it and add to its longevity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    The more monsters you kill, the higher the score (Experience if you will) and the tougher you become... Just a thought, and if it gets any good acclaim, I'll have to start asking for programmers if needs be, although Im sure I can figure out a way to do it using the Basic HL Engine alone...

Any thoughts!?
    Sounds good, something like the experience/skills feature in DeusEx ... I'd imagine adding such a feature would be difficult though... unless you can find some úber coder type.
    And while we're on the subject... will headshots be fatal like in CS?

Yes they should be fatal. Make them fatal Ropey!

Yep, there are hitboxes and I found out how to adjust the damage inflicted by shooting certain parts of the body so I'll make headshots the best way to kill human enemies but I'll alter the rest to spice things up...

Because of this, I might be able to throw in rakes and rakes of enemies without the game being too difficult - I mean, I've seen a single person wipe out a hole Human team on CS Online, surely 50 Computer controlled enemies are easy to kill in a row!? ;):D

You better buff up your aiming and Colt Carbine Skills because this mod will be **** hard and a little scary, but of course, loads of fun!

As for the scoring system, I could add a simple "Overview" for when levels are completed, but the RPG element will NEED a coder or programmer - All I need is something that can alter the skill.txt after certain points are required ingame and the RPG element is complete!

• Advertisement

There is a tutorial on the net on how to introduce a skill rating system. I tried it out and got it working in multiplayer but not single player because I dunno where ta put it for the single player game :)

Ahhh now Daz, if only you'd put a link in there for me to check...
    Life would have been sooooooooo much easier ;) ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Just wondering if you mean skills, in a Firearms type of way.

Marksmanship I and II, agility, reloading and the rest or did you mean something else?

If there was a way I could implement them I'd do it straight away - Sadly the only real ones that I know I could "Possibly Edit" are your resistance to damage recieved, Damage you can Inflict, armour and health ammounts and things along those lines... Possibly even the ammount of maximum ammo you can carry, characters speed and jumping ability - Heck, if I was real lucky, maybe a stamina bar...

Wishful thinking until i find someone who has any idea how to put them in properly - Last thing I want to do is tinker with HL too much and screw it up like I did last time...

Any idea's people!?

Goto Planet Halflife ya lazy fecker :P You will find the site in - Hosting / Editing

Life would be so much easier with net conn at home...

Oh the days of IOL No Limits...

Anyway, cheers Daz mate!

Daz mate if you can pin-point a place specifically, can you please do so!?

Took a browse of Planet Half-Life and it's too vast to find what I want - And some of the site's are closed... if you have any spare links lying around I'd really appreciate the help :D

I really want to add a scoreboard or assessment page, but I woudn't know where to start!

Rope how are you editing the code? Do u have the Hl Sdk?

A few good tutorials, a few dont work tho, and would need editing.
    http://www.planethalflife.com/hlprogramming/tutorials.asp

What your looking for SHOULD be here
    http://hlpp.valveworld.com/tutorial.htm

I love you Daz, *sniff*

Tank jo0 berry mucho's

• Advertisement
Advertisement