Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****e fps in quake/quake2 great in Quake3

• 08-09-2000 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I bought myself a new puter recently. It's an AMD Thunderbird 1ghz, 128ram and a geforce ddr.

At the moment it puts out 170fps in timedemo in Quake3. In Quake and Quake2 it puts out between 75-85 fps.

Anyone know wtf is up with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Sounds like the time the Nethouse comps gave 100-odd fps in Q3 and 52 or so in GLQW. Which was this morning.

Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em
    Clan Acid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yeah, if they had 72 fps I woulda beaten sam, easy money.

oh yeah mike, the only thing I can think off is that vsync is turned on in quake 1 and 2. Someone else maybe able to help you turn it off. I think its gl_swapinterval 0 at the console or something. Probably completely wrong though. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Are you using the right opengl32.dll in your quake folder?
    The Geforce has a full opengl imp doesn't it?

bah!

Dead{o}Santa <--- knows nothing about geforce cards.

Even still 85fps is pretty nice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If memory serves, 74fps was the standard max in GL-QuakeWorld...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

72 kharn. And this is timedemos where that restriction is removed. So he should get huge framerates. And the geforce has a full open gl implementation. And I've no idea why its bent on your pc frown.gif MIne gives deadly qw framerates. CAck in q3 as my cpu chokes it
    frown.gif bah. need p3
    quozl
    Try reinstalling glquake. You didnt have a diff open gl card before did you?

In qw mike, you should be getting something similar to 400 fps, which is what I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

what is the command in q3 to make a timedemo where at the end of it , the console gives you your fps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the timedemo command in quake1 was and is ****ed so pay no attention to it.
    why would anyone want 400fps ffs? a steady 72 is all you need in gl to do all the necessary jumps.

I know kali, it is capped at 72, but I can run rc5 in the background or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I had this problem. What I did was turn V-Sync to always off in the diaplay properties/ advanced settings/ GeForce DDR(or whatever card u have)/ additional properties/ OpenGL setings. Sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Just to let ye all know what Sickboy said fixed the problem perfectly. Loads of ****in fps now biggrin.gif

Sico - it would probably also fix ya problem with gl quake in nethouse.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

nah newer drivers, or different driver settings might fix it in nethouse, but not vsync.
    cos i was running my monitor at 120hz , and still slowing down to 40fps in fights (so was sico)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Any downsides to having vsync off in glquake? My monitor runs at 85 hz for glquake, so any advantage in vsync off?
    quozl

No advantage, since the screen is going to be updated a max of 72 times per second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

That's presuming your FPS will pretty closely match your refresh rate with Vsync on. That's not always the case.
    Vsync doesn't just limit your FPS to refresh, it is also affected by the time the Vid card has to wait for the screen to be refreshed. ie. The vidcard finsihes frame 27, checks the screen redraw and sees it's only started, so it waits and then sends the frame for the next redraw.
    Sometimes you will actually get an improvement in FPS wih Vsync off even if your monitor refresh is a good deal higher than your usual FPS.
    The dif. isn't huge though.

Advertisement