Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin drinking...

• 11-01-2002 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Dublin in many Irish and foreign people's eyes is the best city in the world to out drinking in.
    This may have been true at one point but I have to say that in my experience it’s a loud of crap.

Dublin's pubs and clubs have become overpriced and overrated.

Not only this but if you go out for a night in Dublin weather you will get into a place or not becomes a concern not because you're too young or because your not dressed well enough but because the doorman just says no.

Dublin is the only place I have ever been asked for i.d. in and the only place I have ever been refused entry to a pub or club (except for one place in New Zealand but I was so drunk I don’t remember:)) and in those cases no explanation was forthcoming.

The clubs in Dublin with one or two exceptions are very small compared to other places and there are never any deals for drinks i.e. buy one get one free.

The music in the clubs is by and large ok but we don’t have that many big name DJ's. During the daytime Dublin could be said to be the best city to go out drinking in but not at night.

Doc.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Doc
    Dublin in many Irish and foreign people's eyes is the best city in the world to out drinking in.
    This may have been true at one point but I have to say that in my experience it’s a loud of crap.

I don't know who thinks Dublin's the best city in the world to go out on the beer....!! No one's ever said this to me.... aside from that, I agree with you... I've been out on the piss in London and New York and both were a far better buzz, later opening hours and more choice of venue to go to, but I think the theory is that the Irish people are very friendly and we drink alot (please don't get angry with me for sayin that!) so that's where the buzz is.

Personally I'd rather go on the píss in Galway then Dublin, but then again, doesn't everyone like being somewhere else than their hometown!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Doc
    Dublin's pubs and clubs have become overpriced and overrated.

become overpriced? Dublin was always overpriced. Horribly.

I dunno about it being the best city in the world to go out in, but Dublin has been one of the top 3 European weekend destinations for the past few years. Its a fun city to go out in - especially if you're not a resident in the place.
    Not only this but if you go out for a night in Dublin weather you will get into a place or not becomes a concern not because you're too young or because your not dressed well enough but because the doorman just says no.
    First off, I agree 100% with bars not letting in people because they're too young. I even agreed with it when I was too young to be let in.

As to being well-dressed and/or doormen refusing you...I dont see it as an issue. I dont consider myself a well-dressed person, but I've never had any hassle getting in anywhere on dress-code, because I do the simple things. They dont want runners, they dont want football jerseys, they dont want a number of things....so I dont wear them. How hard can that be? Also, I have found most other "party" towns I've ben to to be the exact same or even more strict in these respects.
    Dublin is the only place I have ever been asked for i.d.
    Explain why this is a bad facet of Dublin? Are you saying that pubs shouldnt be concerned about age limits???

I would agree that Dublin clubs are mostly crap - but Dublin was never really a clubbing town - its a pubbing town.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Originally posted by bonkey
    Explain why this is a bad facet of Dublin? Are you saying that pubs shouldnt be concerned about age limits???

No not at all I think they should ask for I.D. but I'm 21 and don't look under 18 at all. Most of the time I'm out in Dublin I'm with friends who in no way look under 18 ether so it kind of bugs me when I'm asked here but not anywhere else.

The point I was making about being too young or being dressed inappropriately is that I would understand if a person is refused on those basses but on the occasions when i have been turned away from places in Dublin this was not the case.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Overpriced - Totally, Overrated - Mostly(esp. Pod and Red Box :rolleyes: what ****e!!)

Personally, I have never been refused from a pub since I've had legal I.D., except for being very drunk once, and turning up at 1am when the place was busting at the seams, both of which are perfect excuses. Imo, I'd enjoy going out at the weekend waaay more, if pubs weren't so fookin packed!! Turn up any later than 9 o clock and your chances of getting a seat in a pub are nil, and then you have to endure drunk ****ers bumping into you for the next 5 hours. Drives me mental!!!

I can't stand DJ's so the whole big name DJ thing doesn't bother me(too many dance clubs in Dublin imo :rolleyes: ), but more clubs should play just chart music - that would be at least bearable. I have never,ever,ever,ever been refused from somewhere for not being dressed properly. In fact, when I did wear shoes + respectable shirt (when I was <18), I was refused. I have never bought a pair of white runners (ming), or worn tight jeans/ shellsuits. Maybe this is why people get refused. I never wear shoes and regularly wear baggy jeans and can get in pretty much anywhere worth getting into.

Just my 2c :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Well about the ID issue... they have to ask for it if they even suspect that you may be underage. They can get fines of €2000+ and shut down for a few days for having underage drinkers in there. (hehe, didnt stop me though)

Personally i think dublin is a great place to go out, but you have to know what you like and where to get it. There a quite a few themed bars (for the laugh), the classic irish oul lads pub, the disco/bars (from dance to chart to RnB to rock =/ ), then the clubs. It all depends where you go and when you go.

Its the research into things like that that pays off... i personally read the papers for upcoming clubbing events and i read reviews and website to find out about promotional nights. Researching may seem lame or whatever, but it pays off. (not wasting a night out etc)

Go where the locals go is the best tip you can get.

About prices, you just have to get slighly pissed before going to the bar/club and so cutting down on the cost. I've never done it, but my 'not so rich' friends do. hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Dublin is a venue with a lot of atmospheric pubs, which have a bit of life and character, which cannot be easily bought or duplicated.

Also it is socially acceptable to have a few beers here. In places my mates have been, eg. New York, if you are visibly affected by alchol, it is frowed on as socially unaccepable. I'm not taling about loutish behaviour, just that pleasant stagger, that friendly mumbling of words, that one can so need after a long week.

Hense travellers enjoy sampling the night out in Dublin.

As for dress codes, I've never been stopped, for any reason, since about the age of 22 (except in that pithole Tamango's).

Like bonkey already said, dont give them a reason to stop you. Anticipate what could be reasonably needed to get in.

As for being refused for reason of age, carry proof.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Xterminator
    Also it is socially acceptable to have a few beers here. In places my mates have been, eg. New York, if you are visibly affected by alchol, it is frowed on as socially unaccepable. I'm not taling about loutish behaviour, just that pleasant stagger, that friendly mumbling of words, that one can so need after a long week.

I was in New York and I was well tanked up most nights... I was never frowned upon, I was given out to for taking tips back off the bar... but that's cos all the money looks the same and I lashed down $10 instead of $1.... hee hee.... also there was sawdust on the floor!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Speaking as someone working in London now, going out in Dublin is great - I look forward to going out every time I come back, and not just because I get a chance to meet up with people I haven't seen for a while. The pub scene in Dublin is much, much better than in London or anywhere in the States I've been; more relaxed pubs with much more atmosphere and general "craic".

Yes, the bouncers can be a pain, but most nights I'd rather have 'em there than have to put up with some of the shite I've seen in London pubs.

As for the club scene... Pff. Given most people are langers once they go clubbing, who cares about the DJ really? You can walk into a decent enough club in any city in the world, but you can only walk into a Dublin pub in, well, Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

The strangest one was i showed them my driving licence and they told me they couldn't except that as it can be forged !!!!!:eek: and they told me that they would only except pasports... I asked that they can be forged they told me if i had a problem to go get a Garda to get me in ..... so i did, ( BTW this was at the Turk's head) he was walking right past and i explained what the story was and he told them that they can't refuse any form of goverment I.D. unless they can prove it's a fake ..... so i got in and wandered over to where my GF was i went up and bought a drink wandered over to were she was sitting with her friends and as i got the the bounce bumped into me i dropped my pint and then he told me i was too drunk and threw me out :mad: :(
    so my GF came out to me and i told her what happend and with that she went back in and told what happend to her friends they all got up and left so with throwing me out they lost the best part of about 55 people ( everyone from her course)

NOw i know they pubs don't give a **** but now when i'm going to DNC for a lan i always walk by the turks head and have a little laugh to myself ...

I don't think you should HAVE to bring out your passport as id, driving licence or student card or something should do.
    Anyway i've given up pubs for the next while as i'm saving to move to Finland, and that brings me on to another point, saying that you can't get a atmos like dublin is untrue ....
    !. Aint nothing but 20a Kingsley st London - my Fav bar anywhere !!!! :D
    It's a blues bar and i always have a great time there.

2. Dublin - Turku ( Finland) Has a real irish feel to it and i have to say it Finnish people are great very friendly and love to get aresholed as much as us irish !!!!!

Well that's my 3c ( 2 pennys old money) worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is illegal to carry your passport around unless you are planning to leave the country (although that could be an urban myth). I've never tried it, but if it was true, and bouncers said 'passports only' you could (in theory) have them arrested for inciting people to break the law (is that the way to phrase it?).

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

its illegal to carry your passport around WTF!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Afaik you can't be asked to show your passport as a form of ID because it's a state issued document, or something along those lines, so I've heard anyway.

I'll probably get myself one of those National age card things, nice size to fit in the wallet with other cards and I've never heard of anyone I know being refused with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Thats because it is actually illegal to refuse a person with one of those national age card dealies.
    For some reason clubs dont accept college cards because according to them they can be forged, but if you actually look at a college card nowadays they are not that easy to forge at all. Made of plastic, holograph, barcode and metallic strip at the back, also pictures are super imposed onto the cards they're not stuck on anymore. These really should be acceptable. It's not the best idea to have to carry your passport around with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

brainfreeze!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

getting into some places is like a lottery.
    does anyone know why bouncers refuse people who have id?

on a tangent, why are bouncers always the most ignorant idiotic people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    on a tangent, why are bouncers always the most ignorant idiotic people?

when was the last time you heard of bouncer school?

there is an amazing need for more pubs/clubs/bars in dublin. people are being refused entry into places left, right and centre and are given shi**y excuses (fake ids, dodgy clothes, youre too drunk etc.) all because the place is either full or they just dont like to see you have a good time while they are outside having a powertrip.

i know a good number of people that cringe when someone mentions the idea of going to city centre in dublin on a saturday/friday night because of bad experiences with bouncers.

more bars/pubs/clubs mean more options and space for the punters/tourists and your local drunks. more places would mean that bouncers may even become extinct.

if i ever get arsed to open up my own bar, i'll make sure that i have preety young ladies outside attending the door, and keep the security staff inside. hell, ill just get a shotgun, its cheaper and more effective :)

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Only some bouncers are bad.... ok the majority. I work as a bouncer in england at the moment and I worked in Ireland before I came her for college. The way I look at it is that if the bouncers don't want you in the pub, they will find some way to refuse you, weather it by id or dress if they don't want you in, then you ain't getting in. The way it works about the whole not being dressed properly is that if you are asked for ID and you can provide an age card or passport or what ever, well then the bouncer cannot turn around and tell you that you are not dressed well enough. However normally people are so pissed that they dont bother doing anything about it.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

em i just had to post this, but after seamus said that it was illegal to carry your passport around, I did some checking, I mailed the passport office, and its not illegal to carry it. But they dont recommend it either as its a sensitive document but its not illegal thats the main point.

Advertisement