Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A good wife always knows her place

• 11-01-2002 4:33pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

This is a scan from the 1950s magazine "Housekeeping Monthly".
    If only todays women were so obedient ;)

good_wife.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've seen sooo many times but it's still good.
    The best one is:
    Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

r-o-f-f-l-e-m-a-y-o

That is classic. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I wouldn't be supprised if there was a school to teach them aswell.... lol

It is quite funny, how backward people were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Ah there was real men back then.....the law was laid down and if anyone argued there was the flex of the kettle to contend with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭walt

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

originally posted by Dave|STaN

It is quite funny, how backward people were.

I don't know. That article was suprisingly forward thinking.
    from the article

Be a little gay and a little more interesting.

Recommending Lesbian Arousal ??? bring it on :)

Seriously though, it is really hard to imagine (for me at least) that it was really like that for women just 50 years ago!? I guess in other cultures like Afghanistan's it's just as bad for women though, even today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

LOL nice one!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

hehehe. excellent!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OH MY GOD!!! is all I can say to that!
    thank the gods I was not born back then,
    I'd have been done for manslaughter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BigMac

:confused:
    Samson, where did I see that one before???????
    May be you showed it to me yesterday!!!!!!??????
    mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 franco

The proper order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Wow. That's all I can say. WOW

Imagine if that still applied - I could have nothing more in this life to worry about.

Have kids - no problem, I'm designed to do that.

Raise the kids - obviously not an easy one - but hey, I have all the time in the world to do it - I'm in the home, so I don't have to worry about a creche/babysitter/au pair. Plus, chances are, with my constant attention, my children will be a little better behaved because they've never had to compete with 15 other kids to get what they want.

Make the dinner - rocks, I love to cook.

Treat husband like god - why wouldn't I? He earns the money, pays the bills, worrys about the insurance, mortgage, loan repayments, health cover, education fund for the kids etc. etc. etc.

Imagine that, no more work stress. All I have to worry about is making sure I feed the man on time, raise his kids in a respectable fashion and look like the uberbabe in the evening when he wants his jollies.

If that's the job spec - I'm your gal.

What is it they say? The grass is ALWAYS greener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I think understanding that this is taken from a house wife's magazine (ie. for women who do not work outside of the home) this is something you'd expect for that time period.

Yes there WERE classes for this kind of thing.....I remember watching a film on it once I think

/me goes to wash the dishes and touch up makeup

/me returns

Anyway....as I was saying....there are a few decent points there which can be taken out of the shovanistic overall view of the article.

"Don't greet him with complaints and problems" - I think this is a good point on both sides. Someone just returning from work will want to relax for at least a few minutes....but even from experience I know, if someone starts at you with problems the minute you walk through the door you just want to turn around and walk right out again (Which incurrs the late night drinking sessions with the mates).

Give the person 5-10 minutes to relax then talk to them about it. Unless the problem is of a nature such as "Honey I happen to have encases myself in flames and rather than offend your delicate nose with the smell of my burning flesh could you possibly help put me out?" then it can wait those 5-10 minutes.

OK first paragraph....about prepaing the meal.

"This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs"

Again goes both ways.....

Nice when someone shows that they've been thinking about you when you walk in. Eg. Spend the 5 mins and a couple of pound bringing home some flowers for the wife/girlfriend or even the whole - prepare a warm/cold drink reference.

What's wrong with this? You'll get a lot further when you show someone that you DO care and are thinking of them. Hell this may sound sad to som but I SMS my g/f of nearly 4 years every day from work and would do the above.

Funny how it's ludicrous to look at the values of these people then and dismiss them without transmuting them into todays equivalent and actually praising them for their sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

All its missing is something about no footwear and remaining with child constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm telling you, if you think that's outrageous, read this:

http://www.surrenderedwife.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Recommending Lesbian Arousal ??? bring it on

lol

Well worth the 120K image size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

As a matter of interest, where did u find a copy of goodhousekeeping fom the 1950's?

But hey, i'm sure it wasn't all fun and games then in the home

Advertisement