Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fps

• 11-01-2002 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

What kind of fps in half-life should i be getting with a 32mb Geforce 2 GTS, 1 ghz Pentium 3 and 320 ram? I have a via chipset if that means anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You should be getting 99.9 fps, no excuses for anything less.
    If you're getting crappy fps with that machine, you should try a lower resolution (800x600 should be fine)... and start hl.exe with the "-bpp 16" command.
    Your fps will also be limited to your monitors refresh rate, so make sure you're running at a refresh rate of 100Hz or over for best results.
    Check your "fps_max" and "fps_modem" settings in the console, both should be at 100 if you want maximum fps.

I get a solid 100fps at 800x600(16bit) on an 800MHz Duron + Geforce2 MX 400.
    What fps are you getting right now? and what OS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Make sure you turn off vsync too. You'll find that in your display control panel, probably under advanced settings-> GeForce2 GTS-> OpenGL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Shouldn't have to with a PC like that, at least not if you can get 100fps with vsync on, which you should :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

what fps should i be getting with

an nvidia tnt2 m64
    512mb ram
    p3 750

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

well i'm getting a max of 85 fps and lower if theres any bots and i have win 98.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Raven get NVmax,use the readme file to tweak it for ure own needs eg some games work better with vsync on/off.

Id suggest running a benchmark prog aswell,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Same problem here

os[Windows 98 (4.10 - 2222)] uptime[5h 41m 30s] cpu[1-AMD Athlon K7, 756MHz] mem[Usage: 211/448MB (47.10%) [|||||-----]]

With a Geforce 256 DDR, i play tfc in 800 x 600 with the old models and yet i still get 20fps looking over the pit on openfire in a multiplayer server, i think it could be my connection causing the bad fps. Ill see when i get my isdn i suppose.

Feels like my fps have dropped, don't ever remember it being so noticably bad, maybe its me getting picky or my connection getting worse causing my fps to flop. Damn annoying all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

i have an AMD DURON, 1ghz 64mb ram 56k modem and some **** SIS 8mb video graphics card-(just got d computer). i get a fps of around 20. i increased my "fps_max" and "fps_modem" both to 100 and still get this **** framerate. any ideas or can i do anything in d meantime while i wait for my gf2 g/c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

ConZ it wont matter if ya put fps_max 100 etc because if ure PC cant achieve that anyway it wont do any better,

wots g/c ??

Best thing to do is to hope ya get ure GFX card faster! are ya buying it online?

well i finally got 100 fps after messing with NVmax but when i add 31 bots is goes down to about 40 - 50 is that alright do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Raven - that's normal. Each bot adds more and more load to your CPU, that's why your framerate is dropping.

Try it with fewer bots and it should be alright.

Thanks for all your help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

what bots are you using? Use simpler bots, or like steve said, less. Make sure you're running in OpenGL if you've got a GeForce.

Advertisement