Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL, and will you keep it.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

yeh pie. Imagine if EVERYONE on the dsl network was downloading constantly. Pings would go to crap, dl speeds would suffer.
    Thats why i dont really have a huge problem with the idea of a cap. The problem is that 3 gigs is laughable. 10 gigs would be closer to the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

True, but I reckon I'm only downloading so much because I can. The novelty is already wearing off and the true convenience is starting to be more important than download speeds.

But I'd still like to know how do the... say... Scandinavian ISP's manage to handle thousands of people with 2mb/4mb/10mb/whatever DSL lines? To be honest I think it's the ISP's problem if they cant handle the amount of bandwidth being used. But of course in Ireland it's our problem too, cos we can't exactly switch DSL ISP's too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmm, i have adsl for 40 quid a month and no cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

NOT worth over €70 with a cap.
    Perhaps €70 without - but it would be a reluctant exeptance, knowing I'm being ripped off, and that the situation may improve....

Yes It's nice to have high speeds (anyone else have problems uploading?? Limited to aobut 15k, and seems to drop my connection when it stays at 15 k for too long), however i can definately live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

No probs uploading. Odd thing is, doing a ping to www.eircom.net , I get an average of about 50ms. A mate, over in Manchester on BY gets an average response time of 35ms.

Are these things that us testers should be reporting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well I assumed Upload was affected the same way as Download speeds, i.e. 512k/s will get you between 50-60k/s on average. Therefore an Upload speed of 128k/s will get you between 12-15k/s.

That's what I thought anyway, dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

NTL have uploads of double that - yeah?
    Is there a reason y DSL should be slower? - Or is just another annoying silly limit put there by eircom?

If no problems reaching 15k - just "drops" the connection after a while. Says I'm connected but i cant ping out etc.

Yep - there do seem to be pauses (but not drops) in data flow - be it upstream or downstream, here as well. If I could find their support number, I'd give them a bell.

i havent had this problem with the connection pausing? Hmm, come to think of it, I had something similar a good while ago. I traced it to a problem with RASPPPOE - are you using that?

Afaik, NTL's cable service is also 512/128 so uploads would not be any faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    No probs uploading. Odd thing is, doing a ping to www.eircom.net , I get an average of about 50ms. A mate, over in Manchester on BY gets an average response time of 35ms.

Are these things that us testers should be reporting?

Post up a traceroute here, I get a 20ms ping on ISDN.

• Advertisement

Tracing route to www.eircom.net [159.134.237.56]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 50 ms 40 ms 40 ms r96-1.bas1.srl.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.96.1]
    2 40 ms 50 ms 261 ms fa0-1.edge1.srl.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.73]
    3 40 ms 50 ms 50 ms pos4-0.btr1.cra.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.129]
    4 * 50 ms 40 ms 159.134.125.5
    5 40 ms 50 ms 50 ms fa0-0.service2.cra.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.191.71]
    6 40 ms 60 ms 50 ms www.eircom.net [159.134.237.56]
    Trace complete.

*mutter*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

The reason your ping to www.eircom.net is higher than your friend's in the UK is because on Eircom's ADSL service the latency is quite high.

Everybody I know on the trial has got around the same latency, I'm not sure if a lot of you play any online games but my ping in Counterstrike when using I-Stream was around 80-100, compared to an average of 60-70 with ISDN while dialled up to Eircom. (This was to Irish servers)

This is however the only ADSL service I've ever been on so I can't really compare to to other ones but there's a good article about "latency Vs bandwidth" here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/faq/all#694 which basically makes the point that just because your download speed is great, that doesn't mean your ping will be great also.

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Son of Blam
    This is however the only ADSL service I've ever been on so I can't really compare to to other ones but there's a good article about "latency Vs bandwidth" here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/faq/all#694 which basically makes the point that just because your download speed is great, that doesn't mean your ping will be great also.
    According to that article, DSL should, in theory, have less lag than ISDN:

Ethernet .3ms
    Analog Modem 100-200ms
    ISDN 15-30ms
    DSL/Cable 10-20ms
    Satellite >100ms
    DS1/T1 2-5ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Well that article is more of a guide for connections than an actual factsheet, but what *is* an actual fact is that your latency on I-Stream is probably going to be higher than your latency on an Irish ISDN connection. Not very good for people like me trying to get low pings in Counterstrike.....but better than a 56k analogue connection. (And obviously a lot better for downloading large files)

-Son of Blam

After a bit of tweaking, i now get pings of 40-50 on irish cs servers. I dont really trust the pings CS gives you tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

I got my ADSL here in France over the Christmas holidays - special rates were going for the modem and I was dying with the bills for our snail pace system - so - I will never turn back - but 75 euros no way - here in France with France Telecom it costs 45 euros for unlimited usage - what is Eircom up to - it is only 1 000 kms from Paris - dont tell me that it costs nearly double the price in Ireland . it is no wonder that you are all unhappy - WITH THE PRICE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by apiou
    I got my ADSL here in France over the Christmas holidays - special rates were going for the modem and I was dying with the bills for our snail pace system - so - I will never turn back - but 75 euros no way.
    Where did you hear it was as little as 75 euros. The proposed price (including VAT) is 132 euros. That is almost three times the price in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hey were did this come from, anyway i think hes talking about what the rest of us would agree is exceptable

Advertisement