Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal: Working Groups - Research

Options
  • 12-01-2002 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Research Working Group

Quite a bit of interest has been expressed in this group. It is clear from the forum that there is an abundance of talent and experience within our membership, and I hope that we can tap into this resource.

1. Purpose
    The purpose of the RWG is to collect and organise facts which can be used to counter arguments against the aims of Ireland Offline.

2. Organisation
    We are in the process of setting up a web site for the group to collate its work and results. This will act as a general resource for the members et al.

We are also looking to set up a mailing list for internal work organisational purposes within the group. We will then use the mailing list to allocate and manage tasks between the group members.

The mailing list is not a replacement for the forum. New Ideas, findings, etc. can and should be posted to the forum at any time. We shall attempt to collate and organise any relevant items from the forum within the web site.

3. Objectives.
    I propose we use this thread over the next few days to establish the key objectives. I have mentioned this previously, but here is an example list to start with (think Objective/Actions):

Counter Eircom claims that Flat-Rate not viable
    - State of infrastructure, history of investment or lack thereof.
    - Technical details of FRIACO arrangements in Britain
    - Comparison of Hull in UK vs rest of UK
    - Market research on effect of FRIACO

Establish case for an 'e-Minister'.
    - Examples of government inaction, ineffectiveness in response to recommendations/complaints, etc.
    - Successes of 'e-Ministers' in other countries.
    - Policy innovations seen in other places but not in Ireland.

Proof that Ireland is going backwards.
    - Telco investment u-turns, business pull-outs, advances elsewhere.

The case for widespread FRIACO/broadband for residential/small biz users.
    - Positive effects on e-commerce, address digital divide, e-market, social good, lower costs

Proof of monopolistic practices and pricing by Irish telcos
    - International price comparisons
    - Unfair marketing tactics, exploitation of dominant position

4. Volunteers
    All those who wish to make themselves available, please email me (fergus@irelandoffline.org) and include a little background (i.e. in what areas you think you can be most helpful).

We realise that some individuals may wish to supply information in
    confidence, or cannot afford to be seen to be associated with IrelandOffline. In such cases, please contact myself or any member of the committee and we can come to a suitable arrangement. We will post PGP Keys to the site shortly to facilitate encrypted email, or alternatively leave a message at my office number +353-1-6247772 and I'll get back to you.

Comments

Advertisement