Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! - Connecting Apple monitor to PC

• 18-09-2000 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I KNOW this can be done- I just need to be pointed in the right direction as to where to get the converter for it... i.e.: what store (in Dublin)... I'd also need the converter going the other way (PC monitor on a mac machine) but that one's easier to get anyway...

any idea's?

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

oh... by the way--...

its a nice 19" Apple Multiscan 20 Display (with a very large viewable area), so I'd essentially need a DB-15 Female to HD-15 Male converter.

Anyone?

Bard
    _____
    -me-

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 18-09-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Peats??

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yah, I'd also say Peats, they usualy have all sorts of knick-knacks like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Must be an old monitor? As the more recent Apples connect to any monitor.

Actually you can probably buy the converter at any Mac store. But Peats will probably do it too.

actually, from looking at the on-line stores, Maplin's seem to have what I'm looking for and Peats don't (I'll give 'em a buzz)... the monitor is a 1994 model, so I guess that's old enough to be using the DB-15 connector, I guess...

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

get an orange.
    not compatible with apples, but hey, dont work on pcs either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

get an orange.
    not compatible with apples, but hey, dont work on pcs either

why that's hilarious, WWMan... truly inspired... tongue.gif

Anyways... TypeTec (near the Naas Rd.) sorted me out- they've got the adapters I need and are gurriering (couriering) them over to me as I type...

Net Quake & DVD movies on a big-ass apple screen tonight, wahey! biggrin.gif Sorted!

Bard
    _____
    -me-

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 19-09-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

what are the refresh rates like on those Multiscans? think i might be able to pick one up for next to nothing... could be useful.

No idea really, sorry, - heard that they're pretty good- I'll check the label on the back of the monitor this evening and let you know tomorrow. Just took delivery of the adapters... hooray smile.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Advertisement

Ok- I dunno about the refresh rates, sorry (I think its something like up to 80Hz?) - the picture is absolutely brilliant on it, definition very high, - takes the highest resolution my gfx card can pump out (which is 1600xsomething... I dunno- I just leave it on 1152x864) - which my old monitor *couldn't* handle.

My dad tells me it used to be used on a Mac that was used for high-end video editing, and with such a good quality output I can see why...

Playing Q3A takes a bit of getting used to now, as I'm used to it on a slightly smaller screen wink.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Originally posted by Lucutus:
    Yer also used too losing! :P

naturally that depends on the competition in question and the amount of practise (and/or cans of lager) I've had at the time biggrin.gif

and nahhh... I'm not that used to losing, although when playing on the LAN against your good self... well... heh... wink.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 20-09-2000).]

Originally posted by Dustaz:
    Whats the adapter you need to connect em to a pc? I might ask our IT guy if theres any chance of the old ones cheap....

I needed a DB-15 female to HD-15 male adapter to connect the apple monitor to the PC and the reverse to connect the PC monitor to the Mac.

If you're interested, the part info. on these is as follows:

DB15 female to HD15 male (Mac monitor to PC)
    part # VID001 , price £9.50 ex. VAT

HD15 female to DB15 male (PC monitor to Mac)
    part # 922-3764 , price £12.00 ex. VAT

Total for both, including VAT: £26.02
    Courier delivery was £6.00 within Dublin

This was from TypeTec Ltd., who's contact details can be seen here.

Talk to Christina in TypeTec, - she knows her stuff (another lady in there tried to sell me adapters for £20 and £40).

Bard
    _____
    -me-

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 20-09-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by Bard:

Playing Q3A takes a bit of getting used to now, as I'm used to it on a slightly smaller screen wink.gif

Yer also used too losing! :P

Lucutus of Borg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Bard:

My dad tells me it used to be used on a Mac that was used for high-end video editing, and with such a good quality output I can see why...

Im staring at 2 of them right now smile.gif (2x21" Mitsubishis) Whats the adapter you need to connect em to a pc? I might ask our IT guy if theres any chance of the old ones cheap....

Advertisement