Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems setting up 2 systems running a IEEE802.11b Peer to Peer

• 12-01-2002 2:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

I posted this to the Irishwan forums, might as well post it here too.
    Hiya doing.

At the moment I am setting up a Peer to Peer network at home. I have 2 PC's with Wireless PC Cards at the moment and I will be adding another with a standard card linked to a Access Point as well.

Anyway I have set up the 2 PC's with the PCI Wireless Cards. I have set up one as a Wingate Server and it allocates a IP to the other using DHCP all that is working fine. I can ping both machines.

The problem is bandwidth very little information is getting through. It takes 4 minutes for a basic webpage to load. I cannot share and access either system because it says the network is not available, when I ping each IP I get 30%-50% timeouts. But on checking the Wireless PCI Card configuration utility it tells me that the signal is 100% between the cards.

The Hardware is as follows

System 1 - Running Wingate - AMD 1GHz, 512MB, 20Gb HDD with a
    Linksys WMP11 Wireless PCI Card and an external Zyxel Omni.net plus running W2K Pro (SP2) with a static IP Address

System 2 - Dell PII 450, 384MB, 10GB with a Linksys Linksys WMP11 Wireless PCI Card running W2K Pro (SP2) getting an IP via Wingate DHCP

Both are definately set to the same Workgroup name I have checked this several times now.

There are 2 possibilities as far as I can see.

1. Its a problem with the way I have configured W2K.

2. One or both of the Card are causing a problem.

I'd really appriciate any help with this, cheers.

Gandalf.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hup !

Advertisement