Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have, I want

• 19-09-2000 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Currently have a 440bx board running a celeron 300a and now I want to upgrade.

I want something in the 600-700mhz range, but I also want to keep my 192MB PC100 ram.

What are my motherboard/cpu options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Check your motherboard manual, if it can supply a voltage of 1.65 volts, then all you need is the latest bios and a p3 coppermine should work grand on it. For that you would be talking about £200-£250 for a 650-700 chip. If you need a new motherboard. they are about £120-£130 upwards. I would be going for the abit be6-2, which is also a 440bx chipset board, but the bx is still the best chipset. If you could reply telling us what make and model of board you have, I should be able to tell you if a new p3 will work on it. You will be able to keep your ram either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I have a bx and recently bought celeron II 600 and sloket for £120 Stg. Overclocked to 927mhz. Sweeet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

motherboard is an MSI-6119, can't go above PIII 500mhz.

I know f all about hardware these days, if I had an abit be6-2 and copermine, can I still use my PC100 RAM?

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah, u can still use pc100 ram with a be6-2. I cant find microstars homepage, but the specs i have seen on other pages make it highly inlikely your current board supports coppermine.

Advertisement