Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weapons in Q2 vs weapond in Q3

Options
  • 12-01-2002 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or do the Q3 weapons suck badly? They ruined the look of the railgun by removing that cool blue corkscrew effect at the last moment. I remember seeing it in earlier builds and it looked fantastic.

The super shotgun was a very cool weapon in Q2 but in Q3 it's only for extremely short range.

The Q2 rocket launcher looked so much better and was more satisfying to use. THe way the rockets slided into place with the "cluh chunk" sound effect was inspiring.

The only thing I think Q3 did well was giving you a more effective starting weapon. It it makes it somewhat possible to make a comeback when someones dominating with the rocket launcher and cannon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

my god above in heaven. What are you talking about.

You can have the rail coils in quake 3 using cg_oldrail (or is it cg_oldrailtrail? just use yer tab key) the q2 rocket launcher is ****ty and slow compared to the leet fast q3 one (not as fast as the qw one though). I do admit that the q2 super shotgun ownz but so does the q3 one. The railgun in q3 is better looking too, I use the rail coils myself because I am also a fan of q2. But the q2 rocket launcher DID NOT looke better than the q3 one. It was all blurry and wussy lookin' and the trail used the pants q2 particle effects. And it sounded mediocre compared to the smooth looking and sounding q3 rocket launcher.

Bottom line: the q3 weapons are not sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Forget Quake 3....for the weapons are Sibireian Ostrich droppings......the Q3 rail gun is exellent because it hasnt changed but the rest are so unbalanced and not siuted to the arena..which turns into rocket arenas with random machine gun fire.......

Where as Q2 arenas gives a frantic arena of well balanced weapons where users can vary weapon choice without effecting thier overall frag rate...(thats if they are good enough with the weapon, i love going around with the grenade launcher)....
    The Q2 rocket launcher is good cause it doesnt dominate the arena and the Q3 shotgun is the same as the Q2 shotgun but not as impressive looking

Q2 weapons beat Q3 neDAY!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

quake 3 has perfect weapon balance, including the fact that in tdm the machine gun does less damafe compared to ffa. the only overpowered weapon is the bfg, which is reflected in it only being in specific maps.

the only negative aspect of the quake 3 weapons imo is the underpowered GL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

3.railgun

2.rocket Launcher

1.The Gauntlet <===yes the gauntlet

why u say...? because i like playing with my food >;)

ok ok i know this not on about the railgun thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

the thing about the q2 weapons were that they were woefully imbalanced, this was the fun element - when you *had* the weapons that is. spawn rape was much more prevalent - q2dm1 often became a case of first frag/ best spawn wins. anyone who says q2 had balanced weapons can suck my d*ck. sh*tetalkers. :)

The weapons themselves are also much more powerful in the hands of a newbie than their q3 equivalents.

I miss the q2 SSG,CG,Nades, and RG yeah, the RG has lost its position as the one true weapon, but q2 wasn't all about great weapons, was it?

In q3 there is no time wasted pissing about with a pathetic popgun (blaster,shotgun), only to get repeatedly rail-raped by belgian lpb scum. q3 weapons are more balanced - as a result duels and tdm are more balanced, which is great. the thing that people dont like is that balance becomes tedious. oh, and also by balancing the weapons ffa becomes an issue of skill , rather than whoring. some people don't like that either.

so, just stick with the q3 weapons, with time they really start to shine.

to dbc:
    watch some fatal1ty demos,you'll see how *underpowered* the GL is ;>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

the Q3 rail gun is exellent because it hasnt changed
    you sure you've played both Q2 and Q3? the rail gun in Q2 kills an unarmoured player with one shot, the railgun in Q3 takes two shots. The one fault i'd have with the Q2 RL is the fact it's so slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

such bull.

First off, like Thrax said you can u can have your fancy rail back if you use cg_oldrail 1. Personally, I have all the trails in the railgun turned off because they are a distraction and an inaccurate picture of where your slug is going, all you need is the dot.

The shotgun in Quake3 is an extremely effective weapon, if you dont think so, then you can't use it.

The Quake2 rocket launcher is slow and boring compared to the QW RL, so is the Quake3 RL but not as much.

As for imbalance of weapons, that's utter bullsh1t, a guy can choose from an array of weapons when entering a room and kill very effectively, be it shaft, rl, plasma, rail, whatever. If you want imbalance I'll quote beast (Huge Insect) in saying that once you get the q2 chaingun its game over.

/me nods in zero's/ beast's direction.

zero, sometimes the rail trail gives ya a good idea where youre being sniped from :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

or you can use your monitor to tell you where youre being sniped from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

saying that the q2 game is over when the chaingun is got is just the kind of ilogical **** that Huge_Insect would spout (like his venom (his q2 rail back in the day was like his fatal insect venom)). however, i'm sure he'd now agree with me that q2 contains the best weapon balance of all 3 quakes.

p.s. this post is coming from a nerd who should know.

• Advertisement

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=balance

i like quake 2 and all but......
    take q2dm1...

if you spawned beside the cg, grab the ya's and the mega and i spawn beside the machine gun, we are "balanced". and then you rip through me with the cg.

then i spawn beside the water, go in for a rail, and your cg blows chunks outta me, you grab my rail, then i spawn beside the grenades upstairs....

you rail me dead, you having taken the mega, and the yellows, and i respawn with a blaster beside the super shotgun that we are on equal footing?

yeah, right.
    4-0, all thanks to some nice spawns.
    thats rape, not balance

(also coming from a nerd who should know)

balance isnt the be all and end all in a game either, not total balance. take instagib for example, that's balanced. boring as **** after a while.

its not that i dont like q2,
    im just saying that quake 2 isnt balanced :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

it's not that you're right, it's that you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by saik
    http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=balance

i like quake 2 and all but......
    take q2dm1...

if you spawned beside the cg, grab the ya's and the mega and i spawn beside the machine gun, we are "balanced". and then you rip through me with the cg.

then i spawn beside the water, go in for a rail, and your cg blows chunks outta me, you grab my rail, then i spawn beside the grenades upstairs....

you rail me dead, you having taken the mega, and the yellows, and i respawn with a blaster beside the super shotgun that we are on equal footing?

yeah, right.
    4-0, all thanks to some nice spawns.
    thats rape, not balance

(also coming from a nerd who should know)

balance isnt the be all and end all in a game either, not total balance. take instagib for example, that's balanced. boring as **** after a while.

its not that i dont like q2,
    im just saying that quake 2 isnt balanced :)

thas because you are a crap player who plays q2dm1 all the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

I like Q2

...but fuuck it, coz its weapons are as balanced as meats diet. Quake 3's weapons are much better balanced and they look better. The fact that the weapons in q3 were balanced better was one of the things that ID wanted to have in quake 3 to imrove on the quake 2 one. The only way i can see that anybody would think the q3 weapons are crap and unbalanced is if they hardly ever play q3 or just run around the maps not using the fuucking things! If u knew how to use them efficiently then you would see how much more balanced the weapons are over the old and frankly crap balance of weapons in q2.

yes koopa...
    rheumat-, flow, watery discharge from the body

very interesting

Advertisement