Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Blackout?

Options
  • 12-01-2002 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Do any of you think there would be much point in another Irelandoffline Blackout? This time I think lent would be as good a time as any. If we could get it going for a week or so as opposed to a day. Now I know that it would be a little too much to ask of a business to cut the internet access for a week, but maybe some of us home users could do it. Id be up for it anyway. Any thoughts before I elaborate?

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i think it was good the first time, but knew ideas would be better.
    the black out could be an annual thing, as i think it should

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»

the black out could be an annual thing, as i think it should

ah comon, an annual thing ?? no, I think there should be one every 2 months.... even if we don't get the numbers of people, I think we will get a good bit of media attention, like the first blackout we did, the telco's said they noticed no difference in internet traffic, but the publicity we got from it was amazing.
    I think doing another blackout is a great idea, and we should go ahead with one (i hope the ppl on the trials are going to be involved iswell) !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

going off line for a week would be unworkable but its good to see the suggestion all the same

What if you demonstrated your grievience this way

If the same 500 people got the phones they are renting from eircom and sent them back choosing to use one that they buy in their local electrical store.

You would even manage to save yourself money too

You could say pick a day for all ireland offline members to do this say April 1 and add add the catchphrase "your not fooling us" or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Very good idea about the rented phones idea. If we could get a number of people to do this in front of Eircoms headquarters and have media present as well that would make for a very good exposure and would be quite embarressing for Eircom as well.

I personally have a phone that I will be sending back to Eircom. If I actually sat down and worked out how much I have spent on a piece of equipment that cost them maximum €20 over the years, I could have probably afforded a whole phone system.

Any comments from Adam on this one ?

Gandalf.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

hey,
    This is my first post here so maybe I'm not as informed as the rest of you on the pros and cons of a blackout, but here are my views:

I think blackouts should be more frequent than annualy perhaps every 2 months as mentioned already.

In my opinion the weakest point of this strategy is the lack of public awareness of the cause and ideals fueling it.A poster or flyer campaign should be initiated by the members in order to increase the awareness of those people who complain about their connection speed but haven't the organization to pose any real threat: power in numbers.

I realise that the production of posters and flyers is a costly activity so,alternatively, I suggest an internet campaign.Perhaps spreading the word through Irish internet chat rooms and other forums. I realise this may be seen as spamming but if it the subject was approached in a respectable manner perhaps people would listen to what you have to say.

I realise that this is unbelievably long winded and that you have probably ran over these ideas and if this is the case I apologise for wasting this space.

Thank you for your time.
    DREGIN-X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

There isnt a lot of point doing another blackout.

The blackouts main success was in the publicity generated which was enourmous. I would very much doubt if it had any impact on revenues. So for financial reasons, theres not much point in doing one again or for longer.
    In terms of publicity, well people and the news media are fickle. If its been done, then its usually a case of 'So What'. Theres no point in repeating something purely for publicity reasons.

Having said that, the rental phones idea is gold! Great idea fcdunne :)
    Id definitly do that and its a great chance for publicity. It has great symbolism plus the added advantage that it concentrates the activity in on tangigble spot (50 people outside eircom with phones makes a great picture).

Any thoughts from the committee on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

By the way April 1 would not be a good date to choose for the obvious reasons.

[bah that press release was wrong]

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

A poster or flyer campaign should be initiated by the members in order to increase the awareness of those people who complain about their connection speed but haven't the organization to pose any real threat

I still think this is a great idea.
    I realise that the production of posters and flyers is a costly activity

Would it be a bad idea to ask members if they would like to subscribe towords the funding to produce 1,000's of Flyer's / Posters. I dont know how much it would cost for Bill Boards but i could check that out too ? What do ye think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

An added bonus of this rented phone idea is that you could be making people who havent heard of Ireland Offline aware that by handing in their phone and buying one in say argos they would be reducing their bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by fcddunne
    An added bonus of this rented phone idea is that you could be making people who havent heard of Ireland Offline aware that by handing in their phone and buying one in say argos they would be reducing their bill.
    You could also use it to highlight the recent increase in equipment rental. It might be worth raising the issue of handing back the phones in a new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

I know a mate whos da owns a printing company. If you could give me the size of any posters/flyers I could forward them onto him and get a price if you like.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

The phone rental fee must rank amongst the greatest cons of all time. However, how does protesting about it help us achieve our goals? We want cheap Internet access but we're unhappy with phone rental?!?! Granted it might create a bit of bad PR for a day but that's it. Even worse, they could spin it around and abolish the rental for those still paying it. Where does that leave us? Thanking Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Originally posted by fcddunne
    If the same 500 people got the phones they are renting from eircom and sent them back choosing to use one that they buy in their local electrical store.

You would even manage to save yourself money too

You could say pick a day for all ireland offline members to do this say April 1 and add add the catchphrase "your not fooling us" or something like that

The return of these phones is a great suggestion! The date would need to be co-ordinated for maximum effect.

In relation to awareness for a blackout, it is very easy to use an automatic signature in all outgoing mail to highlight this, keeps costs down and gets the message across.

For the another black-out, why not look at it on an increasing level i.e. 1 Day on first month, 2 Days on second month, 3 Days on third month..... etc.

Keep up the Good work!

Peter
    Academy Hotel, Supporting Ireland off-line
    http:www.academy-hotel.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Any comments from Adam on this one ?

It's being discussed on the committee mailing list Gandalf. It's definitely something that appeals, although as you suggest, it would need to be co-ordinated to ensure that Eircom, and the media of course, know that the initiative was being organised by IrelandOffline. I think this is something for the Membership WG to discuss.

On the subject of the Blackout, I've been lax to comment because I don't want to disrupt the current activity. Ultimately though, as Dustaz points out, I don't there's a hell of a lot to be gained from another Blackout so soon - at least relatively - after the last one. From the PR standpoint, it's highly unlikely we could replicate the last initiative. From the business standpoint, the last initiative has demonstrated that is wasn't particularly disruptive (it wasn't meant to be).

I think we're better off concentrating on the Working Groups, and reorganising IrelandOffline in general. The Working Groups are a sea-change for our organisation, and I think one that will be beneficial to us in finally getting ourselves sorted out with genuine targets and tangible achievements. There's a lot of work involved in organising it in the background though, and I think branching off into organising another Blackout would detract from that.

Perhaps when we get the Working Groups settled down, we can discuss it again. In the meantime, the return of equipment to Eircom is something the Membership WG can get started on.

Yes?

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

BTW, thanks for your message of support Peteer. If you would like to PM or email me with details of your involvement with the Academy Hotel, and how you believe flat-rate or broadband services would benefit your organisation, it would be most welcome. My email address is adam@irelandoffline.org.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I think there should be one every 2 months.... even if we don't get the numbers

i agree with this. if it becomes a regular thing, we will get media coverage about it. the press will do anything for a story, and they can make a story out of having repeated blackouts

it will be hard to keep the numbers up with the businesses as it affects them too much but you will raise the attention of more people, who may take part, it wont really affect the telecom companies financialy but the bad press will.
    Even worse, they could spin it around and abolish the rental for hose still paying it. Where does that leave us? Thanking Eircom?

at least we will not be paying Eircon for their con.

Brilliant idea. i am willing to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

I know a mate whos da owns a printing company. If you could give me the size of any posters/flyers I could forward them onto him and get a price if you like.

It seems to have fallen on deaf ears Matt. Best off to just let it be and play along with the big boys. But i know some people too and if i can help let me know ok.

Advertisement