Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sailing in Greece

• 12-01-2002 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

I'm going sailing in Greece this summer for two weeks
    sailing from athens has anyone been sailing around there
    and know any nice places around there to stop over in ?

has anyone been Charter sailing befor any thing to watch out for ?
    I do know how to sail, but is there any thing out of the ordinary to know about sailing in Greece ?

Coyote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Haven't been. My sister and her husband did it a few times.

Be aware that even 'large' yachts can be relatively cramped. My brother in law and his mates would put the heaviest snorer up on deck during the night. Take it easy with thte booze on the boat.

Do not take photos of anything military.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Greece is brilliant. I go there every year and spent most of last summer travelling round there. If you're leaving from Athens it's most likely you're heading towards the Cyclades. Check out the quieter islands like Sifnos, party on Ios for a few nights and definitely watch the sunset on Santorini. If you're heading to the Saronics, Poros is worth a visit, as is rocky Hydra.

'Fraid I can't help you out on sailing tips cos I don't sail. If you're you hiring out a boat with mates I'd be interested in knowing how much that's costing. Sound great.

Whatever you do you'll enjoy it and Greece is still reasonably cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not sure about the sailing either but I have spent a long time in Greece also.

Some great islands to visit are Paros for a mix of wild and quiet areas - Paros has a beautiful valley of the butterflies. The neighbouring island AntiParos has stunning sunsets and occasional hippy/techno parties but it is a very chilled place to be usually.

An ex girlfriend of mine swore that Amorgos which is close by Paros has the cleanest and bluest water beaches she has ever seen, she is Greek and has been to many islands.

A typical one would be Santorini for the lava rock beaches and the sunset but it is very pricey.

If you can hack the long distance an island with many hidden beaches called Patmos is an amazing place. With many islands there is a water shortage and water has to be shipped in, so make sure you get a boat that has water storing capability - if that is possible I dont know much about boats(!)

To be honest, wherever you go, if you are with great people you will have a blast, I was always jealous of the guys on the yachts swimming in the middle of the shark infested waters off Paros bay while I was safe in the shallow of the beach of Parasporos! :D:D

Have a great time mate, give us a shout if you need help with the language entaxei?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

couple of my friends do it every year and they love it.
    as long as you know how to sail i guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I'm going to have too look up loads of the islands that you guys have listed.
    Yea it will be a bit cramped but have been in worse places on holidays so it’s not the end of the world.
    Good point victor about taking photos they are a bit paranoid about that. :)
    as for sailing i do it all the time love it and recommend anyone to try it and see if you like it.

Coyote

• Advertisement
Advertisement