Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive problems

• 20-09-2000 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

At the moment i'm trying to install win2k pro. The installation says it can't detect a hard drive.

The bios list of primary, secondary IDE drives etc... doesn't list my hard drive but in a second list that pops up after that it detects my hard drive some sort of UDMA list like
    D0 Maxtor 4 29355 1 - kind of menu

Is this a problem with my hard drive or the bios (it's a new system I bought just a couple of weeks ago piece by piece, the hard drive is a 13.6 gig maxtor which is around 1 year old or so).

I can't get the computer to recognise any hard drives in the bios. Anyone got any ideas how to fix the problem because i'm well fed up with win98 as an OS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It sounds like you have a motherboard with an extra ide controller, like the abit kt7 or similar. ie your motherboard has 4 ide ports. The latest bios for your motherboard should fix it, alternatively plug your hard drive into the ide port1, (the onboard, standard controller. ) make sure the bios is set to autodetect the drive. If this works, I want to know how to get isdn on indigo smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Speaking of controllers, there hard *******s to get, I mean PCI/Ide.

FFS, peats sold me an ISA one( only place in Ireland I could get on) and the ****ing thing was a no brand pile of my balls.

SO I sent the thing back cause It wont work,

Im going to cry, the 40 Gb drive has been sitting there for a month now.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

John, are you sure your system wont support it? Even some pentium 1 machines may be able to support it after a bios upgrade. Failing that, go to the website of the hard drive maker, and download disk manager software. This will let you use the drive on a machine which normally couldnt recognise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

thanks for the suggestions i'll give em a try. Oh btw Gerry i'm afraid there's no secret to getting on indigo with ISDN, U have to pay for a stanking ISDN account .... but that's what my former boss is for smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

BNo, I upgraded the Bios, I worked out that the controller is pants, therefore I went to buy an Additional PCI/IDE device, It was ISA, no driver disk, and no brand. So I sent it back. Im trying to find another branded one.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Gerry - ya suggestion worked perfectly, am now running a 13 gig and 30 giger in the same machine biggrin.gif with windows 2000 on it finally !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

try installing one hard drive.
    when it comes up as your primary ide master install win2k.
    youve prolly got a jumper problem, either that or your hard drives are a pile of junk wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Now that the topic's finished, Phil, if you can't get Indigo to work (haven't tried it myself) you still have a choice of eircom net, oceanfree, unison and buy&sell. I get 48 ping to vishnu on unison, haven't tried british servers much yet, but I hear b&s and oceanfree are the men for the job.

Advertisement