Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking AMD DURON

Options
  • 12-01-2002 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

i have an AMD Duron 1Ghz and want to overclock it. i dont have a clue about this. how would i go about overclocking it? - do i need any new hware or anything to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by conZ
    i have an AMD Duron 1Ghz and want to overclock it. i dont have a clue about this. how would i go about overclocking it? - do i need any new hware or anything to do this?

A pencil, a steady hand, and maybe a magnifying glass.

It might also be useful to check this out:

http://www.amdworld.co.uk/oc2.htm or http://www.hardwaremaniac.com/reviews/Duronoc/duron01.htm

EDIT:

There was a site with close ups of the L1 bridges, but it seems to have been taken down. I'm sure someone else will have a few nice URLs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

a word of warning : your chip is likely to have a locked multiplyer - so you will have to overclock by increasing the buss speed

this can also effect the pci interface and your hard drives so be careful

personally - with chips being cheep - and concidering you wont get a decent performance gain - i wouldnt overclock

the great overclocking stories of the net generally involve unlocked multiplier chips and serious cooling systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

if your realy adventureous goto

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Beware i tried to over clock my Duron 750,well just kinda did a bit of recon see wot the bridges were like and that,when turn Pc on,actully it didnt tunr on, on some boards i think ya can just change the FSB by jumper settings

Odian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

mine was clocked to 1ghz anyways but i put in a new video card and it went back to 667mhz.
    should be ok ya?!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well then you aren't overclocking it, are you? You just need to increase the bus speed from 66mhz to the normal 100mhz. Overclocking would be going beyond the 100mhz.

would that make it faster??
    is it easier
    ?
    thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by conZ
    would that make it faster??
    is it easier
    ?
    thx.
    yes
    easier then what
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I had my 800 duron running at 1267.
    using the KK266+R mobo and a Mechatronincs 80mmdb fan.
    I put it back to 900 and left it with a normal fan as the Bleedin noise of the Mechatronics was unreal.
    The KK266 has a great little feature for upping the clock speed.
    But the whole getting a fan and then this and that put me off so i just boght a 1900xp and couldnt be a**ed getting a pencil to it.
    Better off going to the mobo website and seeing what type of CPU it can handle .then just buy the fastest one.

Kdja

PS anybody want a Mechatronics Fan which im convinced was used in the Helicopter Prototype:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

You said that it was originally a 1000mhz chip.
    Then you said that you put in a new graphics card, and it went down to 667mhz.
    Surely the first thing is to get it running at its proper speed of 1000mhz.
    This is NOT overclocking.

Running it beyond its rated speed of 1000mhz is overclocking, and YES, it will make it faster.

kdja, it is possible to get quiet cooling for an overclocked chip. I don't see the point in running out and buying the fastest chip, if a chip €100 - €150 cheaper will clock up to the same speed.

"But the whole getting a fan and then this and that"

Its terrible ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the athlon/duron's never had a 66mhz bus, so that problem is just odd :confused:

Duron's never used a 133 bus, and neither did they ship at a speed of 667 (it was 650/700/750 etc..). bit bizarre problem really.

(talks of next gen duron's using the 133 bus tho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

"Next-gen Durons" are actually current going to be Thoroughbred/Barton-based chips. Athlons, like.

The "Next-gen" Athlons will be ClawHammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...if I remember correctly, the 1GHz+ Durons are based on the Morgan (derivative of the Athlon 4/MP/XP) core, whereas all the other (<1GHz) models are based on the Spitfire (derivative of the Thunderbird) core. As far as I know, the 1GHz+ Durons have a slot cut under the bridges so that the old "pencil trick" doesn't work anymore. The usual mechanism I've seen is to fill the gap with epoxy/super glue and then use conductive paint (the kind used for rear windscreen heaters) across the bridges.

Happy hunting...
    Gadget

well i bought the comp off this guy and it was 1ghz.
    i dont know if it was clocked up to that already, but when i put in the new g/card it wen down to 667mhz.:?
    and i wont need a new fan...

so...
    what do i need to put it back up to 1ghz or higher??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

1) Your motherboard manual
    2) An understanding of how to configure the jumpers for 10x Clock multiplier and 100mhz fsb. Failing that it will be in your bios.

Advertisement