Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A plug kicker by TCP/IP ???

• 21-09-2000 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for something that will kick the power (kind of like hard rebooting a machine) by remote via TCP/IP.

Anyone know of anything? I was thinking maybe making one up using the COM port but I want it to be independant of the machine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

sms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    sms?

got a link? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 21-09-2000).]

eek.gif I posted my Password! Too late I changed it tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 21-09-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

With the resource pack for NT you get RReboot.exe. Allows you to remote reboot an NT PC at least, once your own is on the domain somehow (And you have admin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

How could you post your password you nonce tongue.gif

Ah well I didn't get to see how original and inventive it was, 'tis a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

You can do anything on your PC remotely as if you're sitting in front of it, - including re-booting with pcAnywhere. (although if you're using it to reboot, make sure you put pcAnywhere in the startup group, and that it launches the host automatically on loading)

See http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/ for more info.

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

vnc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

restart.vbs in win2000 resource kit has the ability to shutdown, poweroff, logoff and restart a machine. It's a vbscript so code is included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

as regards winnt 4. I think there is a bug in the code whereby, you send a certai type of packet to the machine it will restart. RTE use linux machines to do this when there NT servers kick the bucket. www.linux.ie have it.

Gav

Originally posted by Hecate:
    vnc?

My problem is where the machine has crashed and can no longer be responded too. Which happens with VNC.

I'll try RREBOOT. Now anyone know why IIS in NT4 option pack keeps crashing? >:/

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Now anyone know why IIS in NT4 option pack keeps crashing? >:/

Could be that there's a sh|tload of mtx.exe processes running... that'll mess IIS up a tad... do you have visual studio installed? AFAIK the only ways of killing off extra mtx's (cos they wont usually die with an end process call from taskman) is to reboot or debug them and close the debugger.

Bard
    _____
    -me-

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 22-09-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

it keeps crashing because its not apache smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Yeah, close the buggers.

Originally posted by Kali:
    it keeps crashing because its not apache smile.gif

Give me an Apache server which properly supports ASP and connections to SQL and Access and I'll gladly switch wink.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Originally posted by Canaboid:
    Yeah, close the buggers.

They aren't there.

First off the web site that was there the program now doesn't serve it. I get Incorrect function if they try to view the site, despite there being no code in the page (only HTML).

Second, the sample pages do show but incorrectly and if any page that has scripts on it is served it fails on the client end and I get a crash on the NT box.

bleeding annoying. Oh yea and the transaction server took up 100% resources on inetinfo. I shut that down.

mad.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I'd say its time to employ the old fist-desk interface smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ah...Good old percussive tuning....So much more fun when it's someone else's equipment.... smile.gif

Advertisement