Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

%thisdirname%

Options
  • 13-01-2002 4:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

[Original Post Deleted]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

[Original Post Deleted]

Completely irrelevant to the original post but mebbe I can earn kudos by not starting a new one :cool:

Two weeks ago my PC started up fine. Within 30 seconds of pressing the On button I was happily tapping away. This week it takes up to 5 minutes, often freezing completely and taunting me with Blue Screens of Death and Random ASCII Scrambling. I didn't do any major tweaking or install anything horribly large to do this. Only 2Gb of the 12Gb drive is used. I've ScanDisk'd, Defragged, QuickCleaned, wiped Temp folders but still I can save the world and compose an opera in the time it takes to load. I've tried disabling every startup item from Msconfig. No result.
    :confused::confused: I'm completely lost on this one :confused::confused: perhaps my brain is just too highly trained ;)
    Please help.
    Please.
    If you have any shred of mercy or humanity.
    Please.
    Help.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
    I didn't do any major tweaking or install anything horribly large to do this.

No 'major' tweaking? Give us details of any minor tweaks, plus what you installed. How Old is the HDD? :)

DOH... What I meant (I think; long day) was no actual tweaking. I regularly run QuickClean and aside from uninstalling a couple of games that's it. Would some stuff from msconfig help? The workings of Windows aren't really my specialty (nothing is ;) )
    The HDD is.. erm... would be 2 and a half years old now.

Argh just remembered - a bit before the problems started I installed a NIC. It's not connected to any network (which is why I forgot about it) but could it be slowing the boot down that much? If so how would I temporarily disable it to test this? And erm... if it is causing the problem what do I do, after all I want the computer to load in reasonable time but I still want to use my network (connecting it to new comp this weekend). :confused:
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

You may have tried these already but have you tried a registry cleaning program and defrag your HD?

I find these 2 always speed up my machine a decent bit (because I am constantly installing and un-installing proggys ;)

Gamb

• Advertisement
Advertisement