Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Harry the Drug Fiend

Options
  • 13-01-2002 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

For the first time in a long time, I've been following the news about the royal family and Prince Harry's 'drug problem' and today, two things struck me:

1]
    No single news station has thought to mention (or chosen to mention) the fact that his mother died in an horrific accident which was subsequently splashed all over the media. Journalists are happy to moralise about his regal role and responsibility but when it comes to the human factor of someone's mother dying and it being sensationalised, I'm not surprised Harry has turned to booze and hash.

2]
    As mentioned above, journalists have mentioned his 'responsibility' to the public - he should have led an example to the youth of Britain and steered clear of this kind of thing. I suspect the public's reaction to the whole affair is: 'he's just a kid, a person like you or me and everyone makes mistakes'. I think that's most people's reaction, in stark contrast to the press who need a story. If this is the case, then this whole incident just goes to show how obsolete the royal family is in Britain and what little role, if any, they hold over the British public. Clearly Harry nor his father or brother has any real role (partly due to the demystification of the royal family due to policy and the media) and thus no responsibility to act in any real figurehead manner, with no responsibility to the public. Since their role is to please themselves and, afterall, they're 'just people', why not scrap them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I heard the News of the World hack who wrote the scoop
    on Radio 4 this morning describing Harry as a "latch key kid"
    last summer, with no-one to keep and eye on him what with Mum dead, dad on royal duty and big brother off on his gap year, did'nt anyone think to ask themselves "whats Harry up to on his own?"

A fair point I think, I dont usually agree with anything the News of the Screws says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hes just doing what generations of his family did, all he has to do now is marry a cousin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

The only responsibility journalists have is to maul people in the media, because thats what they do. Imagine it, one of your relatives goes up for a political post for example and next thing it is splashed all over the media that you once were arrested for smoking hash in Stephens Green. It's exactly the kind of thing that happens to people regularly in the media, so why is it any different when it is a member of the British royal family. Don't get me wrong royality is a farce, but the guy is a person and while yes he is in the public eye sure, whatever, the young fella deserves to do the sort of stupid things fellas his age do, because getting drunk and stoned is the kind of moronic thing you do when you are his age and so what? Imagine if everytime you used the toilet your life was turned into a three ring circus by the media, which tires, convicts and executes you for three or four days before moving on to someone else to humiliate and embarrass?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

there was a good comment on sky defending him as the product of a broken home;

leave the kid alone, his mother is dead, and his dads unemployed
    :)

maybe him and tony blairs son should go out on the town together...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

jaysis the lad does what a lot of teenagers his age do, gets trollied and smokes a few joints with his mates.

I'd say he's MORE in touch with his subjects as a result then any of the Royals :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I heard Harry's supplier is the Queens Mother.... Thats why she's in hospital all the time, getting friendly with all the doctors, letting them sponge bath her and in return she gets anything she wants on perscription.

But on a serious note, Harry does seem to be more in touch with people than any of the older Royles, probably because Diana brought in some fresh DNA into the family, to help get rid of the effect of 100 years inbreeding that occured in the family..

Ears like that just arn't right....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm suprised that when, as a very young looking 16 year old, in his local pub, with a face as recognisable as his, they still served him booze. Perhaps the barman was after an OBE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have an image of Mien Host leaning across the bar and saying "Oi Harry, you're not old enough have anymore than a shandy, now hopit!"

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Originally posted by Robbo
    I'm suprised that when, as a very young looking 16 year old, in his local pub, with a face as recognisable as his, they still served him booze. Perhaps the barman was after an OBE?

Whats even more remarkable is the relationship with his 'permanent' bodyguard. Apparently in order to develop genuine trust between the two it's accepted practise for the bodyguard to turn a blind eye to these practises and maintain silence to even Charles! (As reported by Sky). The policy is that nothing that the young lad gets up to under the bodyguards care is reported on and Harry is largely given free reign by him (bar getting himself killed of course :) ) I.E. It's none of the bodyguards business to tell-tales.. purely to protect...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

sometimes people need protecting from themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

sometimes people need to be allowed to be what the are. teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

"Member of Royal Family suspected of being normal human being; British society crumbles."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Shinji
    "Member of Royal Family suspected of being normal human being; British society crumbles."

rofl :)

Oh yeh, harrys an arsenal fan too. Im with harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'd vote for him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Its a shame that the media wont leave the poor lad alone after all hes just doing what most other teenagers his age are doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement