Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows ME specific f*k-up

• 25-09-2000 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

I recently had the same problem when I upgraded to Win 2000. Soundcard wouldnt work, it was a driver problem.

I found the drivers for it at www.driverguide.com and to save you the hassle of registering the username is "drivers" and password is "all"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Don't upgrade to ME, if you have to install it, do it on a clean box.

Everything I've seen points to ME upgrades and troublesome and pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I installed Windows ME as an upgrade from Win98 SE recently and since doing so my TV card software and my FIFA games won't work. Now as everything else is fine, and I mainly use the PC for net access and 3D FPS games, these are not a major problem but I'd still like to get them working. Does anyone know of any reason why such software would work perfectly in 98SE and not in ME? I'd rather not have to do the whole job of 'downgrading' back to 98 but will if I *really* have to... (just put a 19" monitor on the PC and I'd like to be able to make use of the TV card).

I guess it may be that ME specific drivers are needed for the TV card (which is a pretty standard card... Miro PCTV or something along those lines ... it's at home, Im at work...)

Cheers in advance for any advice,

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It's too late to tell me not to upgrade as I already have done, and I don't *really* want to scratch the box down and reinstall the o/s (AGAIN)... done that enough already. I don't think that it's the upgrade as opposed to a fresh install that was the problem anyway. The Win98SE that I upgraded from was fairly fresh, for one thing.

I dunno- I'd say it's just a driver thing as ME seems to be more of a 98/2K hybrid than just a straght follow on from 98.

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Me has a win 2000 style gui, but its still the win9x core underneath, full of memory leaks and general instablity. Unless you play loads of direct3d games, you should upgrade to win2k.

Advertisement