Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion ?

Options
  • 14-01-2002 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

We are, or IOFFL are a bunch people that have formed a body or group of people to represent the every day user of the internet. IOFFL has over 1,300 users at the moment. There are many many more people out there that we need to reach. There are many more people that just dont know about IOFFL or what they are about for one reason or another. We need to reach these people and show them they are not alone. We need to get out there and show them what we are about. A Flyer in every home a poster everywhere you look..whatever. This has to be done. It costs €'s to do this. IOFFL should have a fund to advertise what they are about same as Eircom / ESAT or anybdy else. I know my post will be deleted or knocked for whatever reason deemed to get rid of it. But the fact still remains we need advertisement we need to show people that use the www that IOFFL are here for THEM! and we need support and €'s to do just that. Am i wrong ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I tried about getting support from ISP's abroad, large isps like aol and at&t have foundations who help causes of non-profit organizations tho im not sure for what. I think they offer financial assistance, i dunno. Gaining support and getting the message to the masses is the only solid idea..the largest medium which is being used at the moment..the internet.., its cheaper this way, and everything needed to know can be found here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

and everything needed to know can be found here..

Fair enough, but how many people use the www that still dont know IOFFL exist ? We need some sorth of publicity (scuse spellings ok) that will make each and every user of the internet in Ireland to actually see what they are up against and what they are loosing out on. Not everyone that uses the internet in Ireland comes to these boards but we need them too. And the best way of doing this is 1. Telephone, 2 Telegraph, 3. Tell a woman. LOL! :D Just kidding :). (no ofence ment ok :) ) My first post still stands and i still feel that to get more people involved we have to get the everyday user more involved and more informed as to whats happening. The only way to do this is by letting people that DONT know about IOFFL and what we are about, to actually know where we are on the www. I have spoken to a few friends i know about IOFFL and they were lost! They didnt even know IOFFL existed ? All im saying is that we should advertise on a wider scale that IOFFL are here and where to find them on the www. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Well im not sure its ethical but i run a small pc repair/building bussines from now on ill start setting this forum as new customers homepage instead of eircoms .I know there are a few lads on these boards that build and repair pc,s too.I figure if we all do this people will be become aware of the situation pretty quick :) especial when they realise the Internet isnt all its cracked up to be on a 56k modem and eircom are the reason they have to use such outdated connections.

Stone

What a great idea Stone... nice one mate Thank You :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Stonemason
    Well im not sure its ethical but i run a small pc repair/building bussines from now on ill start setting this forum as new customers homepage instead of eircoms .

Maybe use www.irelandoffline.com as the home page instead of the forum, as the .com site has loads of info on what we're all about.

Nice idea, btw :)

• Advertisement

Fine idea Stone, i work as a web designer , computer repair and maintenance. I could put a link or banner to irelandoffline.com on every website i design and i do alot of web maintainence in schools around my area. Or perhaps the comps i repair, add a link on the desktop to the forum or the website, im sure the customers wouldnt mind, as u said urself Stone, once they see they crap they're connection with. Im sure i could change a few things to turn it our way :) good work guys, keep the ideas coming ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GavinS

Surely a good way of mobilizing support would be to gather information on who works where (voluntarily of course), and if (as i do) they work in a company with a network, send a mail around to everyone telling them the story, alot of people who work with computers are aware of how bad the Internet situation is, but are unaware of IrelandOffline...

Im not talking about spam here, but perhaps mail friends first, and include some info in the initial mail, with a link. And discuss at lunch or something, get people thinking. Get political i guess!

Get sales people who you know, who sell computers to give out about the Net situation in Ireland when selling computers "Will i need a network card?" "No, theres no residential broadband in Ireland so you won't be needing it!"

Main thing is to politicise it i reckon and make it humorous perhaps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

If someone was to design a (decent) eye-catching IOFFL poster/flyer people could pin them up around the place. Schools, businesses and so on. I'd be happy to stick it up in my school.

I emailed Mark Buckley at Scope Communications. Hes in charge of advertising at Techcentral.ie. I asked if he could support us by linking or putting a banner on techcentral.ie. At the moment they're re-designing the website, he said he'd definately take a look at my suggestion when its back up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Psychotic

How about we all create a poster or something and place it up in school, resturant or cybercafe (there because connection at home is tto slow)

From experience though, word of mouth is best, for example, if you get a friend into internet gaming (eg. buy Half-Fife on budget) they will soon realise hoe slow there 56k is when they see fellow Europeans with pings of 25-50 and you are getting slaughtered with a ping of 200-400.

If you put yur mind to it you can think of so many.

If I get any more ideas I will post them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Psychotic

Sry, if u are interest in online-gaming then thats Half-Life I think it is ˆ10 or something

Its about the best online game this is out there.

You can download mods for it ie Counter-Strike, Day Of Defeat etc
    so you can find a game style you like ie team based, deathmatch etc

It also got me interest in the current internet situation in Ireland and why we are so far behind as far as boradband internet is concerned.

Yea interntet cafes are a great place for posters or flyers to be posted, broadband opens up a whole new net experience, including more enjoyable experience of the internet, information quicker and easier. I'll contact the nearest internet cafe..which is in Navan and discuss that, actually i have to go up there on Saturday, so i'll see then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

k these are all very good ideas .esp setting home pages no new comps to IOFFL+ placing ads on ur sites + sites u work on.also eye catching posters that can be downloaded and printed and put up in collages and schools around the countrey .we must have some art students or talanted artists on the boards that could help.also recording info about board users (voluntarily) this would make it realy ez 2 organise events,ads,ressearch or anything else that might help. we could have something like

Name:
    Boards.ie nickname:
    What they are good at\willing to help with:
    Ideas:
    Email:
    they can fill in what they want and all the information could be emailed and held with reputabel IOFFL members.so when an idea is taught of we can contact the member holding the information get contact details of the ppl who could help.it would enable us to work faster and more efective.also i think we should design some small eye catching ads (for sites) then email all irish sites and all web designers/design companies and possible news papers. hopefully we will get some sampathetic people who will put the links on there sites.

i will be the first 2 fill out this form
    Pat Humphreys
    Irishguy
    Limerick
    Central collage limerick [LIT next year]
    ill try my hand at anything
    c above 4 my ideas
    Pa153@hotmail.com

if ye will trust i will offer my services for collecting info and storing it also we will need a few other ppl to hold this info incase one person is unavalibe the information can be obtained from another member.also there are ppl who own/work in net cafes they could set there home pages to IOFFL

--
    Ruu
    --
    Work from home/school/office
    Anything to help either, i like graphic proggies and love experimenting so i could have a go at making a poster if i get a bit of spare time on my hands. I also have plenty of contacts who could help promote us :) internet cafes, computer stores.
    [email]--[/email]

k ill keep a record of the info 4 now but for this realy to work we would need most people to fill in all or part of this form. because it wont be much help if me only have 5 or 10 names. so keep them comming and mabey if this gets IOFFL aprovel we could email all regestered users and ask if they would fill out this form

Totally great idea guys. And no offence ment when i say this. But a lot of people here do not want to disclose who or what they are for one reason or another. If you watch most of the posts. People offer to help any way they can (and do just that) but do not wish to disclose who they are. Not saying everyone should do that, but ..... there is a lot of stuff going on in the background right now. So hold back for a little while ok :)

ya i know that but they could just fill out
    first name:
    boards.ie: nickname
    email:
    what they are willing 2 help with:
    mabey location:
    but realy they could fill out anything on it they want to, thats what i ment

Advertisement