Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computers In Cork?

• 14-01-2002 3:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

I hope do be doing something in computers next year but have utterly no idea of which course to put down as a first preference on my CAO form which was to be dutifully filled out by the end of Februry. Since i live in Cork and have no desire whatsoever too go to Dublin i was wondering could any of you guys give me some info on what my options for studying computers in Cork are.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

need more info

such as cert/dip/degree
    any particular aspect of omputing you are interested in ?

i guess the first place to start is cit and ucc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

That's the problem i'm not entirely sure of what kind o computing i'd like to do, i have basic programming knowledge already in VB and C++, there are a few degrees that interest me. Software Develpment or Computer Applications in CIT and Computer Science and Electronic Engineering in UCC, i have Honours Maths, Applied Maths and Physics so entry to any of them shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I hope do be doing something in computers next year but have utterly no idea of which course to put down as a first preference on my CAO form which was to be dutifully filled out by the end of Februry.

We were told end of january, or 1st of february, if I have another month to get it filled in this is good news :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As far as I know, February 1st is the deadline for CAO applications. Doesnt really matter anyway, since you can just fill out a change of mind form in a couple of months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Honours Maths, Applied Maths and Physics

sweet jebus !!

nehoo theres a new course on the way in CIT [ill miss it id say, wont be ready in time]

Systems Administration and Management. Its exactly wat id love to have a degree in, as im not into that programming malarky. should be ready for next year tho. thats in CIT

im sure you'll have no troublke gettin watever u want, as u said

• Advertisement

I'll explode a common myth concerning people who do Hon Maths, Applied Maths and Physics using simple logic :)

Applied Maths/Hon Maths are very difficult subjects

Geography and Economics etc will give you more points for less work

Therefore people who do Applied Maths and Hon Maths are *lovely people who like a challenge*

The real *lazy but thinking* people are those that do Geography/Economics etc

Be a good boy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Heres my opinion on Comp Sci and Elec Eng in UCC, both of which I have dabled in. Elec Eng is a far far better course.

The comp sci course should really be renamed Java programming. Everything is thought through java, you meet a small bit of c but its not presented well at all.

The java you learn in first year is some sort of pseudo java that should not be taught at all as it only leads to confusion. There are only a few good lecturers in Comp Sci. You'll meet one in 2nd year. http://www.cs.ucc.ie/dbridge.html He teaches you more than lectures you and you will find it so refreshing that he is so prepared. All the lectures are online before the college term even starts. http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~dgb/courses/swd01/lectures.html

Many of the lecturers are only there to justify their research/teaching grant and would rather be somewhere else and it shows. You'll also find lecturers who can barely speak englih and are following the notes of somebody else and you're expected to interpret what they are on about. Sometimes you might think you are doing a lingusitics course...

3rd and 4th year aren't too stressful with many group projects and work experience.

Moving on to Elec Eng in UCC. If you want a challenging course this is it. There is a lot of mathematical content too and a heck of a lot of projects. This course is one of the most difficult in the country though the points from last year do not seem to reflect this. You'll find yourself in college for more than 40 hours a week either attending lectures, practicals or working on projects in the labs after 6.

This is a really good course but again the lack of good lecturers is a drawback. You'll be stressed out a good deal but you will come out with a very good degree. The technicians are dead on but some of the postgrad lab demonstartors would want to relax a little. The Elec building is also nice and comfy with some really good artwork on the wall. The Dept Head is a bit of a tyrant but he is producing some top class engineers.

The job market for Elec is far better than Comp Sci.

Lump : I was poking fun at myself for having picked such difficult subjects so there was no need to moderate that one..

You're not the only person who has spoke ill of Comp Sci in UCC, anywho it doesn't look like i am going to pick it now.

Electric/Electronic Eng seems really interesting but what i'd like to know is the course frustratingly difficult even if you work like the clappers or is it managable if you work hard? I don't want something that is going to be just so frustratingly difficult that i will just lose interest in it, what is the dropout rate?

Daveirl : i'd be interested if you could anything of note to this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well, I'm just making yourself feel good about picking the subjects...... I didnt really moderate it, just reworded it ;)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Ive done the Computer Applications Degree at CIT. It is really excellent. When I first started The programming the introduced you too was Pascal but I think First years now get thought Java.

Its a far more practical course than the one the UCC Computer Science Degree I think. From speaking to a some1 who studied it at UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Sorry to be off topic but I have a few friends who are going to UCC and i recently visited it while on a trip to Cork. The place looks real nice and i was wondering (i know i can find this info elsewhere but while i'm here i'll ask) how much is it to stay in the houses/flats near by? I'm not talkin about living on campus cause i'm going to ITTralee (TIT). I'm talking about houses/flats down the road. An average price range will do. The reason i ask is that i'm considering moving to Cork city during the summer to get a job and some cash for sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

The language you start on in first year is now C++, not java as someone mentioned.
    Im not in a position to compare this course to comp sci in ucc as i dont know that much about the ucc course.
    I'm a first year btw.
    But what i can say is that i find computer apps to be overall quite an interesting course, not bogged down in theory or anything( not just yet anyway), although you will (and i'll personally guarantee this :) ) get extremely p1ssed off with accounting and people & systems(business basically) which waste 6 hours ( almost a quarter of your college week !!) of your week every week.

It's mainly down to yourself though, and what you find interesting.
    Personally i really enjoy Programming and Computer Systems( architecture, assembly programming) thats what keeps me attending.

enjoy whatever you pursue anyway,
    goodluck

Advertisement