Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network stuff

• 14-01-2002 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Ok, the system when a pci ( 3com) card is put into it it installs no probs, however when you reboot the system will hang..... then you have to reboot once more and when you check the system devices it says that there is a problem with it, now i've checked out what's using what IRQ and it's fine so i installed a ISA card and i can ping myslef but that's it ... the light on the back of the card comes on but that's about it. Plus everytime you look in the properties of Network it wants to install the same files over and over again ..... anyone go any ideas ????

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

You could try using the 3com configuration utility 3c5*.exe to trun off plug n play in the card
    http://www.gateway2000.ie/ftp/desktop/misc/netcard/3comisa/v51.exe
    I had a similar problem with my 3com isa, it seemed to send out packets but, never receive them and was in some operating systems being picked up twice but using the 10baseT and then bnc ports on different irqs which I guess was strange, seems as if turning off plug n play on the card it self (not the bios) worked, so it might be worth your while trying out this fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

IT was all the network cards i used, they are all fubared .....
    Tryed a brand new one and it worked fine ....
    Hence i'm typing this msg from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I'm using some cheapo (Compex i think) network card, and I get the same problem in bootup...

From a cold boot, it usually won't go and hangs without even a signal coming to the moniter. Usually have to turn the pc on and off three times before it goes.

I tried it in different PCI slots too but same thing...and it works fine without the card. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

kyro that sounds like the card is giving a short .. if everything works when the card is out but when the card is in then the card is fubared ( me thinks of joke where guy says that his arm hurts when he lifts it in the air and the doctor says to stop doing it)
    i'm not being smart honest.... if you can try another network card
    one that you konw works .. or try the other network card on another system if you can .
    hopefuly this will help you narrow down what is going on with the card

Advertisement