Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mensa

Options
  • 14-01-2002 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Just out of interest I was wondering how many people who went to CTYI were in Mensa.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

i am!
    yeah me. Go Podge!!
    :-p

Yes yes pretentious ba'tard....
    Is Cormac on the boards yet? if he is he'll be calling me a pretentious... in no time, again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

Not me, i find mensa a bit of a waste of time if your in CTYI, why be in a group for intelligent people when you can be in a much cooler intelligent group.

P.S. And if anyone thinks that I say this because i couldn't get into Mensa you're quite wrong.

-Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Some mensa people tend to be very stuck up (no offence podge)

They are like ctyi people who are on an ego trip (or in the case of some, an even bigger ego trip)

I have a feeling i am going to get flamed by mensa people now, so i will depart and remove my email from my profile. farewell

I would agree, neil. Most people in mensa think they are great but are just stuck up old people with high IQ's (No offense to Podge).

-Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

Well i think that generalising members of mensa is a bit unfair as i talked to members in the RDS last weekend and they seemed like really down-to-earth, sound people.

but maybe they were the only ones :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

i was invited to join mensa but i decided since i would be paying my cheques to "Mensa Ltd." it was something that i just didnt want to be part of.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

i haven't met any Mensa ppl.
    I joined cause im too old for CTYI.
    i need a replacement, of sorts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Personally I'm of the opinion that for alot of people in Mensa thats its a matter of being in a club that lets other people know you're intelligent. I've yet to see any real benfits to someone from being a member of it. Plus any society that makes you pay to see if you can get in is, in my opinion, just trying bull****.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i'm sure mensa is good or worthwhile or something,but i just have this mental image of a load of people sitting around playing word games so that's why i haven't joined.
    i don't like word games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

just for the record, i said some of the people i had
    talked to, so i didn't really generalise.

I'm sure some of them are very sound and down to
    earth, but not for the most part the ones i had talked to.

Also, i would never join as it requires both an expenditure
    of time and effort, which i seem to be allergic to, judging by the rash.

anyone got a lotion for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

... saying that, for a fixed amount, i can increase my job prospects? make an impression? give off an air of intelligence?

:O

and if the web****e says you should ask to join, should you ask to join? does it blatantly lie to you in an attempt to get hits ?

and how much moneys is it anyway?

and in anyone's experience *does* it help with jobs :?

and do i have to *do* anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by saik
    ... saying that, for a fixed amount, i can increase my job prospects? make an impression? give off an air of intelligence?

:O

and if the web****e says you should ask to join, should you ask to join? does it blatantly lie to you in an attempt to get hits ?

and how much moneys is it anyway?

and in anyone's experience *does* it help with jobs :?

and do i have to *do* anything?

in job interviews people tend to go for well rounded people - that is why people put down sports - if somone puts down mensa and computergames as their interests they are more likely to have trouble fitting in - so i dont think it will help getting jobs - that is my humble opinion.

oh and you have to do a 6 hour test to get in.

yeah i heard that about the test too. I was thinking of joining to see what it was like, i decided to disregard the stuck up people and give it a go. Then I read a bit more into the brochure, 6 hour test........The SAT was four hours long and I hope that I never have to sit through it again (Though I am going for it again this year.). Six hours of my...ahem..'valuable' time, so I could get into a society that I didn't really want to join. I don't think so.

-Rob

Advertisement