Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/Eircom update

• 19-09-2000 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

2 weeks......
    Yeh right, thats what they said two weeks ago.
    By the sounds of things , unless you live in Tallaght or Terenure in dublin, you wont have bubkas till November by the earliest, and even then thats if your in the next area to be upgraded.

As for Eircom , i was talking to someone whos actually working in the 'new fangled hitech' division and he reckons thre wont be any dsl till January at the earliest (he didnt mention if it was january of next year tho wink.gif )
    so no luck there.
    bugger

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed - NTL have been doing work fairly close by to my house, so here's hoping... wink.gif

Thanks for the update!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Kilkenny is supposed to be connect by Irish multichannels by end of november, and there doing work to back it up.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

2598899 bytes sent@ 42667 bps
    ...waiting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Terenure Road East...Woohooo!
    Ahem.

So that's what all those digging folk were doing.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well NTL are all over the camp. There's hardly a road from Dun Laoghaire to Tallaght that isn't apologising for any inconvience.

Dunno about the Northside, and I certainly don't care!

Also a friend of a friend of a friend sez that NTL are chucking bucketloads of cash into the infrastructure. Which is nice.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Does anyone know how long it will take for NTL's DSL line to come to galway? How much does their cable modem cost, how much it will cost per min online at peak times and after 6????

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want DSL :)

Originally posted by Sniipe:
    Does anyone know how long it will take for NTL's DSL line to come to galway? How much does their cable modem cost, how much it will cost per min online at peak times and after 6????

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want DSL smile.gif
    Ntl dont provide DSL, ntl will give you a cable connection, ie thru the same socket your TV connects to. Eircom are working on DSL trials. this will connect thru the socket your telephone connects to.
    now idea how much Ntl's cable modem will cost (somewhere around 200 quid? not sure) but you only have to pay about 50 pounds per month for the cable access. there is no call charge since you arent going thru Eircoms phone network.
    When Eircom launch thier DSL, i would be pretty sure that this too will be 'always on' ie no call charge at all, just a monthly fee.
    /me also really really really really wants DSL or cable (looks like a long wait tho frown.gif )

Dustaz, where are you getting this info?

I mailed them and got a reply today stating that they were still a bit away from rollout (No specific dates).

Also, if they launched it all today, why is there nothing on their site about it?

Don't get me wrong, I want you to be right, but there's a lot of conflicting info......

Emm, i rang em :grin
    Yer man on the phone told me that today was the launch (and i asked if tallaght was ready to go and they said yes).
    He didnt seem too switched on tho, he spent a while trying to tell me that thier dialup was a good deal. I pointed out that without flatrate on weeknights it was pretty pointless, oh well.
    Extra note, i was also told that if you want to get a cable modem from thier authorised people and have it installed for you , its gonna cost ye 350 squids (modem, ethernet card, installation). If youve got a card and are happy to install it yourself, then the modem is about 250 apperently. Again, this is all according to the geezer on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well if that's their idea of offpeak access, we can also say goodbye to offpeak isdn frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Hows it going!

I am one of those so called lucky people who live in the wonderful place they call Tallaght. I got me NTL flyer today.

This is what they offer it's ok I think. 20 quid for cable, free internet access 7days a week and 24 hours a day and 2 telephone lines!!!Now the problem being if you enroll for this deal your existing phone number will change! so you'll be left with 2 new numbers.

They also offer cable internet access at 50 quid a month not including your modem. so bascially you pay whatever price a cable modem costs!

I hope the above info help.

Latest Update! NTL Launch!
    They launched all thier stuff today, so its good news for those in Tallaght and possibly Terenure, as those areas are ready to go.
    Other areas which havent been upgraded can avail of new services tho.
    Instead of paying 9 pounds per month for yer tv channels , you can now pay 15 ppm for TV, your call charges thru ntl and free offpeak access thru ntl (Weekends ONLY). If your already on Surf No Limits there doesnt seem to be any point cos with ntl your going to get charged for mon-fri offpeak access.

Meanwhile the next areas to get 2 way cable are :
    Coolock, Clondalkin, Kilmainham, Glasnevin, Blanchardstown, Sallynoggin.
    Apparently they are waiting for planning Permission to dig up the roads in some of them. If your not in these areas your going to have to wait at least 6 months for cable nirvana.
    since my area is not in there, all i can say is BUGGER.

I think their idea of 'Free Internet Access' is that you dont pay ISP Subs, its not free calls frown.gif thats what they told me on the phone anyway and i drilled them wink.gif
    but your in tallaght! Get the CABLE!! smile.gif
    Dustaz
    PS Ill pay for half if i can come round yer gaff every day wink.gif

Dustaz!

Unfortunatly I am a poor Student I cannot afford it as much I as would love to have it! I have used cable before in Canada and I fell in love with it! The download rates are amasing!

About the internet access. They told me that I would not have to pay for calls and that they are included in the 20 quid a month! I will call them again and drill them like you did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

NTL to offer IEP20 Internet service

NTL's long-awaited cable Internet service, which will be bundled with home telephony and cable television access, is to be priced at IEP20 monthly, according to a report in the Irish Times. The paper said the IEP20 service will cover 24-hour Internet service, voice and basic cable; as IEP15 service offering the same service, but with free Internet access limited to weekends and calls at IEP.035 at other times.

from electricnews.net

Holy Misinformation Batman!
    If this is true then Esat can ask me b*llix!
    /me dials ntl again
    Edit: It turns out were both right. If your in an Upgraded area , you can get 24-7 flat rate dialup for 20iep per month. If your area has not been upgraded, then you only get the poxy weekends only 15iep deal.
    damn and blast. Anyone know of any flats going in tallaght? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Dustaz (edited 26-09-2000).]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Dustaz: You still have to be in an NTL cabled area for the 24 hour service, the dial up weekened only one is what their offering everyone else including those unfortunate enough like myself to be in an NTL MMDS area.

Just to make something else clear before people start getting too excited, NTL will NOT be adding new cable for at least a few more years, their main priority now is to upgrade their existing network for 2 way, so unless your in an already cabled area you may aswell forget it and wait for ADSL which is due out early next year. If your an NTL MMDS customer or in an NTL MMDS licensed area you may also forget it because those areas won't be cabled for years nor do they have any intentions of using 2 way MMDS systems even though the technology has been used in the States for a few years already.

I'm in an NTL MMDS area so I just ordered ISDN to tie me over till ADSL comes.

Blade

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Lads, what's the phone number? I wanna ring them and see if I'm covered in Cabinteely - they've been doing work this last couple of weeks in the area...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

ISDN? bend over and grab your ankles frown.gif
    I was seriously thinking about it cos i crave the bandwith, but it would just stick in my throat too much paying so much for such a low performance 'hi-speed' service. Maybe if snl offered 128k connections, but they dont frown.gif

Dustaz

Phone them up and give them a good drilling!!!
    Hopefully I'll be signing up tonight. One last thing I was talking to an NTL telephone rep last night and apparently they disconnect you after 2 hours. So just phone them and double check that?

Dustaz.........is there a such thing as flats in tallaght?? I've seen none in my 22 year history there!

• Advertisement

Blade,

How much does ISDN cost with those wonderfull people at NTL?

Originally posted by spanner_head:
    One last thing I was talking to an NTL telephone rep last night and apparently they disconnect you after 2 hours.

Ack! I can just see it now, youve run thru 120 enemies with a flag on the FPS game of your choice, your 5 feet away from capping it when *Click* your two hours runs out wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Gave up all hope of ADSL coming in before I die in 900 years time long ago. best thing to do is go back to Uni and just use one of the 24hr labs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

So I live in an NTL cabled area in Dublin, im not on MMDS .... does that mean I can avail of the 24/7 flat rate ISP service ? Also does it support isdn.

Mike

I think your best bet is to phone them up and ask them. As far as I know Tallaght is only 'juiced' up at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Tallaght , who the **** is in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

just two small points
    NTL:the cable will be dialup upstream and cable downstream = ok dl speed caped at 256K but you will still have to use eircoms lines as the cable can not take two way info even where they have been doing work, they have not been changeing the cable to the houses there jsut getting the main bandwiht cables setup.

ADSL: is at best 1 year away. even if eircom started selling it right now there is not enuf trained people to put it in more that 100 peoples houses a week, and if england is any thing to go by there will be 10,000 people wanting it. eircom does not want to bring it out it's makeing too much money from the lease line busness. and when ADSL comes out it will be priced very high like 75-100 quid a month (this is from the eircom mangers seting up the prices) they do not want to give high speed access to people they will lost money and will not do it till they are forsed by other comanys which just under cut eircom by a little bit, why ? well they do not have to do any better and they will still get your money. (NTL could set the dl cap at 2mb not 256K but why ? well it would cost them money in bandwith out of ireland and 256K is better that eircom or esat is giveing so why give 2mb dl)

Coyote

Originally posted by Coyote:
    just two small points
    NTL:the cable will be dialup upstream and cable downstream = ok dl speed caped at 256K but you will still have to use eircoms lines as the cable can not take two way info even where they have been doing work, they have not been changeing the cable to the houses there jsut getting the main bandwiht cables setup.
    Coyote
    Are you sure? i know someone in ternure and theyve had blokes in there house tooling with thier cable box and running cable to it from the main one.
    Plus the ppl on the phone said it was two way when i asked.

Coyote, I think you're mixing some things up. Here's the response I got from them by mail.
    The area in question BTW is Terenure East.

Our Indirect telephony (Eircom line needed) and dial up Internet service
    will be available to you shortly and digital tv in the last quarter of this
    year.

The cable modem service and direct telephony (Eircom line not needed) will
    become available when your area is upgraded and no date has been fixed for
    your area. Prices for all services will be available as they launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

What all us millions of people who live outside Tallaght want to know is details of their dial-up service. They should easily be able to under-cut SNL with their 20+vat a month increasingly **** service.

Advertisement