Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Peeps who use the PC for gaming dont want beat em ups [well most dont] and those that want racing games want full on simulations, which are not available on console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's highly unlikely that we'll see Xbox games on the PC. Nothing to do with Microsoft blocking it - it's simply because actually porting from Xbox to PC would be a bit of a nightmare (unless you're prepared to turn around and say that the base spec for your game is a Geforce3, and even at that...) and publishers don't believe that console type games will sell on Xbox. I tend to agree; the market for a PC beat'em'up just isn't there, imo.

I know a hell of a lot of developers are developing their Xbox games on Geforce3 equipped PCs, then moving it over to the Xbox late in development, but have no intention of ever releasing the PC version despite the fact that it's sitting there. Printing and marketing it would probably cost more money than it'd make on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Well, some games will be on both PC and XBox platforms..

<plug>Such as the wonderful Championship Manager series for example..</plug>

I have both the 'UK' and Jap controllers here in the office - and I have to say while the UK controller is bigger, the buttons on the jap on are very close together and I would find - that with our 'big' hands that you would be hitting more than one button at once - while the big controllers buttons are a nice distance apart..

check out the UK one here, in the top left of the screen...

To correct shinji, its 64 megs of fast DDR ram and not RDRAM – so nerrrrrrr ;)

BTW - don’t forget that dev companies who are doing games exclusively for XBox have gotten lots and lots of nice pressies from MS - such as big discounts on licensing..

So it is, my bad - it's the PS2 that uses RDRAM, MS ditched it a short way into the Xbox spec development because they saw how much it was costing Sony...

still, 128 megs of cheap ram would have been nice given how much the XBox *snigger* 'micro kernal' takes up right away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Tom's Hardware have created an 'everything you ever wanted to know about the X-Box' type article..

Check it out Here.

The stripped win2k kernel is only 12kb or something.

I put my deposit down today in Game Waterford.
    Roll on march 14th....

chernobyl - just cos they said that, dont make it 100% true :)

Should i read between the lines here, or is just a general rule to apply to any MS info?

what is the actual size?

just read between the lines...

Microsoft PR might not tell the 100% truth all the time...

Just like Eircom PR say that the internet is fast and good in Ireland :)

BTW - Our office XBOX and millions of games came in the post yesterday so nerrrr :)

Amped and Halo 0wn me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

euro gamer forums:
    [anthony] - 21-Jan-2002
    you guys are not getting it. The Xbox can cost about 500 dollars if they wanted to because of all the add-on features like 8GB hard drive, ethernet, nVidia, DirectX 8, etc. and with those, you get more than what PS2 offers. The graphics are awesome on the Xbox.

[lite] - 21-Jan-2002
    "you get more than what PS2 offers."

Not to be a fanboy here, but the PS2 offers something that the XBox currently doesn't have...a great library of games.

[nakey] - 21-Jan-2002
    You sir, are an idiot.

but the PS2 offers something that the XBox currently doesn't have...a great library of games.
    right now, thats correct..

But thats because the XBox has not firkin launched yet. Give it 4 or 5 months and the massive list of 3rd party developers will have quality titles out for it.

Well, maybe they will. :)

That's hardly a convincing reason to think about buying one *now* though. You buy a console when it has games you really want to play on it, not beforehand in the vague hope that some day, maybe just maybe you'll want to play something on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Note: I meant Anthony was an idiot. Unfortunately lite posted a fraction of a second before me.

Rob,

All I know is that miles (MD of my company for everyone else) got a hand full of games for our office XBox from Microsoft and several of them are great fun, and damn good games..(Halo, Amped, Microsoft NBA game, *cough*<cheap plug>CM</cheap plug> etc) - I did not sit down and check if they all were day one games :)

While everyone here agrees that SSX Tricky is the only good game for the cube (out of 5 we have), and thats on/gonna be on every platform known to man anyway..

Forget PS2 for the time being (we all have one of them already anyway), given its 18 month head start its not fair to comapair games right this second.

everyone here agrees that SSX Tricky is the only good game for the cube (out of 5 we have)

This is entirely untrue, since I spoke to Miles about this on Tuesday and he mentioned that he thinks Luigi's Mansion and something else (can't remember - Wave Race possibly) are both blindingly good. :)

Amped and Halo are both day one games, as is CM of course. I'm not pushed on either of them - I don't like snowboarding games so I can't comment on Amped, but I'm a big fan of FPS and I happen to think Halo is totally overhyped and really quite rubbish. The only game that's REALLY got me keen on an Xbox is Wreckless, which is out a few days after launch.

It's worth noting that GC software is outselling Xbox software in the USA, overall. Pikmin and Super Smash Bros have both done stunningly - which is cool, because I think they're both great games, and while I know opinions are divided on SSBM, I've not heard a bad word about Pikmin yet.

Im getting Rallisport challenge and Halo.
    Rallisport is looking pretty special but as for wreckless and the dumb timer, i hope they correct this and allow completely free map roaming.

Halo takes a small bit of time to get used to, the controlls seem a bit mad. But after a few minutes its not too bad. It too a good while to get used to one joypad for left or right and the other for looking. But the guns are fairly easy to use and the levels seem designed to be a bit forgiving.

I think its not RtCW (which Im currently addicted to and stuck in!) or MoH - not by a long shot. But it beats the **** out of Perfect Dark and other FPS type games on consoles, by a long way.

The graphics are not Quake 3 on 32 bit colour amazing, but are quite good. Again using Perfect Dark as a banchmark, its a very good and the best FPS seen on a console in ages (ever?). Its smooth and in the 2 levels I played last night are quite long, lots of baddies, some of them hard ot kill. Best of all was that I did not get frame stuttering.

The AI is quite clever, a logical move up from Half Life and maybe on a par with RtCW - nme's dodge you are clever. They have a shield thing which they dodge behind when you go at them. They hine from you, jump out from dark corners etc etc

One fault, so far anyway, Is that the story and game is quite linear, kinda like Max Payne. There is one story, and in a lot of cases there is only one corridor to go down, as all other options are blocked etc

I played it for 3 hours last night, and indeed prolly will again tonight. Once you get used to the controlls its great. I know some people will see the controls and just give up and say its crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

Just an observation, I don't really care if XBox(MS) does well or not. Checking in Virgin(Blanch S/C) today they have 2 pre-orders for the XBox. Now given that its just over a month away from release this is odd. At this stage of the PS2 release all stores had stopped taking orders notwithstanding the fact that they could'ent fill em anyway. One thing that bothers me is the mention that the 8GB HD will be great for storing "patches". No thanks, please. Games released fully finished has always been one of the advantages of the consoles unlike the pc. Now 8GB for storing/downloading add-on's thats a different thing. Will probably end up buying one anyway but I wonder might they drop in price by Xmas to outdo the competition ala PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by Drakus
    Just an observation, I don't really care if XBox(MS) does well or not. Checking in Virgin(Blanch S/C) today they have 2 pre-orders for the XBox

31 and counting (really isn't that much when you think about it).

• Advertisement

Just as a matter of interest, shinji, is Super smash brothers a launch title? I really loved the original, kicking the bejesus outa all the characters and what not :)

It's not a launch title, no - it'll be on the shelves within a month of launch though. In other words, if it was Sony, they'd fudge the issue and say it was a "Launch Window Title". :)

Starfox Adventures, when?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Hey Shinji do you know about a new game coming out on the X-BOX set in Desert Storm where you control a small group of solders, you have 6 guys who can do diff things ie: sniper, bomb etc. It’s a FPS looks a big like hidden and dangerous

Its called Conflict: Desert Storm iirc. Its also heading to the PC and is out in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

ta NekkidBibleMan I just saw it on TV last night, and out on the PC even better :)

Yea i saw that aswell coy. It looks quite secksy

What programme did you guys see it on?

Probably Thumb Bandits, the only games programme on telly at the moment.

• Advertisement

C4 i assume, well there is Gameone and Game-Network, both 24/7 games channels.

Gameone is french though.

Advertisement