Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exe not good enough (VB Coder)

Options
  • 15-01-2002 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi Folks,

I have developed this exe to act as a scheduler, it has a timer component etc, and does certain things at certain intervals.

Problem,

The companies that we install our software in (Web based N-Tiered) wont all me to install any exes onto the server. They only will let me install objects into COM+. How can I redevelop this object so that I can install it in COM + and it runs all the time on the server.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm assuming this is Visual Basic. Ok, change it from an EXE to an ActiveX dll. A pain I know but it seems you have to do it. Then before you compile you set the MTSTransaction mode to a non zero value in properties. You'll have to find out which value is actually required. Then compile the dll.

The server in question is Microsoft Transaction Server. You install COM+ applications from within the Component Services Managment Console on W2k, dunno about NT, to run on MTS. This will register them too, don't use regsvr32.exe to register them. I'll leave you to work out what options you require here, but if you get stuck give us a shout back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bwoods

When I create my MTS DLL, and install it in COM+ I need that component running all the time, and never to time out.

Is that possible?

Cheers for the Help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

MTS will run it indefinitely, and your welcome :)

Advertisement