Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac Board

• 15-01-2002 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Unix gets one, MS Apps/OS gets one, why not one for all things appley.
    I still use Macs in work a fair bit, and it seems to be a bit of a hole in what is covered in the boards. Not sure how much interest there would be in it tho.
    Anyone think this is a runner?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ain't seen much Mac traffic Dustaz...?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

in the year ive been on boards, ive never seen a post relating to anything apple.

maybe a community board to see if it gets any traffic??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by smak
    in the year ive been on boards, ive never seen a post relating to anything apple.

maybe a community board to see if it gets any traffic??

i have seen about 3 mac questions i nthe last 4 years.
    anyway, everyone knows you just ask hobbes.
    thats his department, or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually I'm sans mac since I came back to Ireland. I don't think there is enough traffic TBH to support the board. I would recommend posting in the Win OS board and annoy them to get the board (after all Bill Gates owns part of Apple ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

I have 2 macs and I think if theres a board people might go to it. <whispering voice> If you build it they will post. <whispering voice/>

I know of a few mac users on boards.ie and I'm sure it will get some good traffic. After all mac users are fanatics.

• Advertisement

After all mac users are fanatics.

Yeah, unlike the Windows and Linux users on these boards... :)

adam

Yeah sandal wearing bearded hippies

http://www.yaromat.com/macos8/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    <whispering voice> If you build it they will post. <whispering voice/>

I'm with ya Marcus :) As a recent convert from Windows-Land (I've seen the future.. and it's sunflower shaped :D ) I'd be keen to see it up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I heartily endorse this product and/or service if only to re-enact some of Usenets classic flamewars of the past.

Seriously though, it could take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Kent Sorensen would heartily approve of such a venture

Snak 3.2.1, (c) Kent Sorensen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Where else would we be able to ask annoying questions such as "How do I get this vbulletin ticker tape working on my OSX?"

Just like the truth ... there are definately a lot more mac users out there. cue the (os) X files spooky soundtrack music.

Either that or add Mac to the MS/apps board title.

I wuv my Mac :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'll be getting a mac in a week or two. I'd be all for this board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I might be getting my hands on a old PPC. WOuldn't mind having a hand. Will be networking my house soon enough i hope. Anyone interested in an AMIGA board? if even just for technical stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Whatever about a Mac board, i'd say an amiga board would get about 0.0001 posts per week.

I'm getting another Mac today. Dunno what the specs are yet but what they heck its free !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Just make a 'Token Bull**** Computer Board' where Mac, Amiga and Amstrad (and got knows whatever else) questions can live together in harmony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by Sico
    Just make a 'Token Bull**** Computer Board' where Mac, Amiga and Amstrad (and got knows whatever else) questions can live together in harmony.

There already is one its called technology, cmon lads get a grip on yourselves, i mean macintosh pffft...

a Big MAC board.
    ummmmmm, mcdonalds....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Arion

How about a general 'other operating systems' board. I have a few questions about OpenVMS That I would like to ask, I suppose for now I could ask them in the Unix catgory.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

There really are rather a lot of us using/stuck on macs you know:)
    (ok, im on an nt machine atm, but if the current client didnt pay as well, id be on a mac ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Originally posted by Dustaz
    There really are rather a lot of us using/stuck on macs you know:)
    (ok, im on an nt machine atm, but if the current client didnt pay as well, id be on a mac ;) )

not to jump at the bait or anything, but are you serious?

I use macs and pc's every day, and know where my preference lies.

I thought the common perception was macs were the poseurs overpriced box of choice?

Re: mac forum. I'd assume about 15% of windows discussion traffic, if you flagged it well enough. Problem is they don't cause many problems :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Yeah, bring on a Mac forum.

Hell, I might even join in and answer some questions :)

Tim (With 3 macs, one with Linux, one with OSX)

Originally posted by alastair

not to jump at the bait or anything, but are you serious?

I use macs and pc's every day, and know where my preference lies.

I thought the common perception was macs were the poseurs overpriced box of choice?

Sorry to dissapoint you, but the better software is running on our nt boxes, its a sad day :(
    I used to be a crazed mac evangelist but ive since seen the benefit of an extra mouse button, ejectable cd's and available software:)
    I still like using macs mind you, and they never cause any trouble:)

C'Mon Dev or Cloud gis a mac board. You know you want to. :D
    Devore: One day these mac enthusiasts might vote for you in a general election remembering how kind you were to set up a mac board for these society misfits.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but the better software is running on our nt boxes, its a sad day :(
    I used to be a crazed mac evangelist but ive since seen the benefit of an extra mouse button, ejectable cd's and available software:)

You don't have to post or even read this forthcoming board if you don't want to!

Anyway, I've got a two button mouse, ejectable cd's and all the software I need. And my computer smiles at me when I start it up...

Originally posted by timod

You don't have to post or even read this forthcoming board if you don't want to!

WTF!!!

If this was in response to dustaz i'd like to point out the fact that he actually asked for the board...

Yeah, I know, but he starting dissin the Macs, talkin' about lack of software and stuff, sayin NT was better etc...

That's just plain wrong... :)

*In a world without walls and fences why do you need windows and gates?

Hey, you know what? Maybe we need a Mac board...

• Advertisement

hehe, this is classic:)

Timod, reread my posts please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ho ho ho, the wackiness of Mac users eh!

Bring on the Mac board!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Originally posted by Sico

Please don't neglect the Commodore 'VIC 20'

oh for god sake get serious.
    lets put up a 'oh, ive lost my socks' board while we're at it.
    anyone for a tennis board.

look theres 10 people who talk about macs and theres over 5000 users. does that mean we should have a mac board? no.

i bet 99% of users here wánk, why dont we have a wánk board, and i can moderator?

get a fúcking life.

hmmmmmmmmmmm, its called the after hours board wwm

lets put up a 'oh, ive lost my socks' board while we're at it.

I heartily endorse this product and/or service.

I also wish to request a "Problems Encountered While Descaling The Kettle" board.

adam

• Advertisement

woah, way to alienate people. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ive seen about 5 threads in Technology mac related since it started.. mostly "ooh look at this design" and not problem related at all, probably due to the fact that theres rarely too many problems with them :)

then again theres the waynes world philosophy...
    "if you make it they will come" ..
    but i for one wouldnt want any smelly mac heads around here anyway saying their all more intuitive and stuff hehe :)

Originally posted by Kali
    then again theres the waynes world philosophy...
    "if you make it they will come" ..

is that not the field of dreams philosophy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm NOT a mac evangelist, but have used them for 13 years now (!) and gave in the the inevitable and had a pc join my mac last year. I still use macs for most of my work (graphic designer for print and digital stuff), but have also tested and tweaked on win 2000 and now xp for a while now.

I like macs 'cause i know them best. I don't have too much grief with them, and when i have a problem it's usually easily resolved without too much heartache. The gui (os9 anyway) is better designed than any flavour of windows, up til xp dealing with peripherals was much easier on a mac, and as a designer i need the typographic control and flexibility that the mac platform allows me to date.

lack of multitasking, crappy dvd playback, and the other hiccups of the apple world are not too much of a burden. You can whack a multi button mouse on if you want, and you don't pay THAT much more than a 'brand name' windows box. There is enough software for all my needs (3D modelling, mp3 download apps, games, and financial stuff are a bit sparse I'd admit). All the mainstream stuff is much of a muchness on either platform though.

I think windows has come on in leaps and bounds. I don't dislike using xp on my pc box. It's quieter and in some cases faster than my dual 800 G4, but I just can't warm to it like a mac. Probably because I'm a designer, not a programmer/ techie type. And they still look a million times nicer than any body else's boxes :-)

I reckon a forum would support itseldf well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

For a person that's NOT a Mac Evangelist you sure go on about them. ;)

Me, I'm not even a Mac user and to be honest the whole concept of just the one mouse button scares the bejesus out of me, but I really think a Mac board would take off.

And I'm not sure why. As a lot of people have said (as have I in the past about other proposed boards) there's not many posts about Macs. But in this case, I think that the "if you build it they will come" concept could work.

Besides, it feels wrong to have the beardy board, the Ms /os board and not a Mac board.

In closing, ask yourselves the question: Even if you don't use a Mac, how many people do you know who do? I know 3.

• Advertisement

Just to stray back off topic for a minute..

I agree with a some of what your saying alaistair, but facts are facts.
    I used a mac to edit video for 7 years and loved it most of the time. Recently we switched to NT and the difference is fairly huge. The software is faster and crashes a LOT less. I can live with the unwieldy OS features (like ctrl instead of apple - thats REALLY annoying) and not being able to get the copyright symbol easily for the speed gained by the windows platform. We charge more for the PCs cos they run better versions of the same software, simple as that. Id love to see the same standard of software on a Mac, but it just doesnt seem to be possible. So im stuck with hitting the windows key every 10 seconds because it should be alt (7 years of habit is hard to break!) :)

I still edit on macs and i still like them a lot, but apple allowed kinda shot themselves in the foot when it came to the Desktop video market by alienating Avid to promote Final Cut Pro (imho...)

Originally posted by Baz_

is that not the field of dreams philosophy :)

actually, field of dreams was if you build it they will come.

waynes world 2 was 'if you book them, they will come'

i watched waynes world 2 on paramount last night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Well, where's our feckin Mac Board??

Now, now now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

just give them a community board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Very well. Mac board now in Misc. Let that be an end to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement