Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Stuff from the U.S. ?

• 15-01-2002 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend places to buy online from the states (parts to build a system). Is VAT applicable ? Delivery costs ? etc.
    Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Although I've never bought from the US, I'm pretty sure that you'll probably have to pay Delivery, VAT and Exise Duty for importing from outside the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

wat parts ?

why not buy from UK ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    wat parts ? to build a system as already stated

why not buy from UK ? Because it's more expensive, duh.

Fid, that site seems hopelessly out of date. Have you used them recently ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

By the time the extra Vat, Exise Duties and Delivery are added, the price difference might have reduced significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Posted to the above sticky. Read my post there for more info.

http://www.just-mi-computers.com/

Postage was expensive, but still big savings to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

Trust me, you wont have to pay any excise etc. i have bouht Thousand's of pounds worth (haven't bought anything since the funny money caame into force) from teh states without any probs. Only thing is, I was buying off a mate and not from a company, so I can't reccoment the co...sowwy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If you buy from a company, you will have to pay excise and vat as they will mark the package as Fragile, computer components. Its only if you can get some one to send it to you as a "gift" that you can get out of it.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

No Cana, a friend of mine ordered a few hundred pounds worth of components off them in October and the stuff arrived just before Christmas day. There seemed to be a huge backlog since September 11th for obvious reasons.

Although, from just checking the site, it does seem fairly out dated. Apart from the P4 1.8 chip, everything else seems to be years old. Sorry 'bout that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure, but a guy who used to work in Motorola in Swords (RIP) said that they could import part excise-free as 'raw materials'. But if customs get a sniff that you are importing a lot of stuff (and 'a lot' might be anything over a tenner) you'll end up with

basic price x 1.04 (excise) x 1.2 (VAT)

VAT to increase on 1 March to 21%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The purchased as a "gift" exemption does still work if you get the company shipping the goods into the EU to go along with it.

Its simply not worth it to buy from the US, even if slightly lower prices, given the risk of shipping if no insurance and returning the good iof faulty. Stick to the Eurozone IMO:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Advertisement