Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew WK

Options
  • 15-01-2002 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Can somebody please explain why he is critically acclaimed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

because Kerrang is a pop-rock magazine-they like ALL -including candy-ash's new *stuff*.
    they call it the future of rock-just like they call any band that is semi-goo semi-pop.
    Andy wk is a great pop-type guy,who happens to have a heavier sound.

party hard..so addicxtive-just like other dire songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Arghhh ah grrrr pfffttt tchhhhhh

I hate the saviour of rock and roll. I wonder who his producer is as that seems to be the real andrew wk.

His music reminds me so much of sigue sigue sputnik

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

Andrew WK has one of those songs, which like OPM's heaven is a halfpipe is catchy at first, but grates upon numerous hearings. the fact that kerrang love these guys so much tells us a lot about how kerrang rate and review albums... listen to it once and say just how good you were paid to say it is....

savour of rock and roll?
    and the buddy christ will saveyour soul too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭slash99

Anybody remember Obituary? Take a look at the drummer with Andrew W**K** - I think that's Donald Tardy!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

its party music... the new single, she is beautiful, its just fun happy rock music... I cant see anything wrong with that. lets not waste our time arguing about Andrew WK and we'll just agree that the Revs suck ass... ok?:)

Seán.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

So I'm not the only one who doesn't rate him then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

no.
    i dont rate hm either.
    he is actually the epitome of (nearly)all that is TRIPE and wrong in new music-no talent-no skill-dire...no DIABOLICAL lyrics
    he ryhmes all right with all right 3times in a row in"party hard"
    the only thing he does is make catchy songs.
    jesuys chrying out loud.
    he is pop.

Thanks Gar, I though I was cracking up or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

I was gonna ask whats wrong with pop... but then i thought about it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ellentic

I get to see him on Saturday.... hoorah...

I get to see Lost Prophets and BRMC though, they're ACTUALLY good.... unlike Andrew W.(an)K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

What a loser.

When asked in interviews "what does WK stand for?" he says "I don't know, you know?" trying to be kooel ?

It's his surname, Wilkes-Krier or some such, and Party Hard ? What a load of bollocks

So, is anyone going to defend him, or is this some sort of sick joke by NME and Q. "Lets tell everyone this guy is great ya and see wot happens ya, so wicked". Andrew WK is ****, anytime I hear Party Hard I cringe, then throw something at the TV or the radio. F u c k off Andrew WK.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

*shrug*
    it's fun music. that's all it's supposed to be, it serves it's purpose. haven't heard his album but pary hard is a catchy bastard of a tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

...it IS the drummer from Obituary......

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

Hey whatever u say about Andrew W(an)K(er) is fine coz i dont like him but leave Kerrang! out of it! alot of the reviewers dont like Andrew W(an)K(er) either and apart from that it does give great reviews and articles. i like it so screw u!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

its great beer music, end of story.

the whole album is the same song with differint lyrics... but with a few brews who gives a sh!te ;) .

When there's so much else to complain about in music today, I'd say Andrew WK can slip through. He'll be gone soon enough.

I hope.

..but for now, when it's time to party.. we must party hard.

PARTY HARD

It may be great beer music, but surely that doesn't justify why he is so acclaimed, when there is far better music out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by mixer007
    So, is anyone going to defend him, or is this some sort of sick joke by NME and Q. "Lets tell everyone this guy is great ya and see wot happens ya, so wicked".

I think the Joke extends much further than that.... To the entire music industry actually... I read an article claiming No Doubt's new Album to be a brilliant work of pop genius... citing specifically the greatness of the "Hey Baby" song????

I have seen Linkin Park Championed by the press... Creed etc...

The sad thing is the expriment works... MTV is a testament to this... can anyone say KID ROCK???? Advertise it and people will buy it... I just dont understand why the powers that be cannot at least market quality music.

If they say Westlife are the great artists of our generation people will believe it. SAD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

WAKE UP! Its a plot .. they dilute alternative/rock/punk with manufactured overproduced bands in order to win the "Alternative Dollar"

I mean just look at some of the bands out, Linkin Park, Andrew WK, Alien Ant Farm etc. They look and even sound a bit like produkt bands .. Frankly I blame Five with thier catchy slightly rocky vibe ;) .. they put the evil merketing dogs on the scent. "Hey Andre, there are massive revenues to be generated in the Alt-teen entertainment sector".

I mean I am a hypocrite, I like many Linkin Park, Alien Ant, Sum41 even Wheatus tunes, I just think we need to be wary not to support the meddling of Pete Waterman types in realm of so called 'Nu'-music or it will be destroyed before we know it.

P.S. I like The Revs but I think releasing a cover of Turning Japenese in this World Cup year is kinda cynical and REEEKS of marketing interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manufractured Individual

The thing about Andrew W.K. is that I've noticed he has appeal to a certain type of person. For example I have friends who are generally into good music but enjoy getting drunk as monkeys every weekend and watching WWF to the point of staying up till ungodly hours to watch it and then stumble throught the whole next day falling asleep on stuff.

They LOVE him. They're going to the gig.

Everyone I know who likes him also likes these and similar things.

Yup. That's right. There was no point to this post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

The two songs that i've heard, She's so beautiful and Party Hard, sound exactly the same.

They use the same melodies (if you can say Andrew WK has any sense of melody)

for example:

Party Hard : "We Do What We Like And We like what We Do!"
    SSB : "Naaaa NaaaaNaaa NaaNaaNaaaNaaNaaaaH!"

and...

Party Hard : "Lets get a Party Goin'!"
    SSB : "She's So Beautiful!"

In other Andrew W.anK. related news...

A guy I know won some tickets. I'm going for the specticle of it all.

Sure isn't it sad that I've nothing better to do of a Saturday night?

going to NME brats
    bringing a sheep
    bringing gasoline
    putting gasoline on sheep
    putting sheep on fire
    putting sheep onstage
    during andrew's set
    accepting thanks
    leaving
    going to bed

Originally posted by irokie
    going to NME brats
    bringing a sheep
    bringing gasoline
    putting gasoline on sheep
    putting sheep on fire
    putting sheep onstage
    during andrew's set
    accepting thanks
    leaving
    going to bed

...Niall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

eh....who cares if hes critically acclaimed or anything. does it really matter? i'm goin to the gig, mainly for lost prophets (saw them last year in the shelter, they were deadly live) but i plan on havin a damn good time during andrew w.k aswell. wouldnt buy his album or anything but its gonna be a fun gig, ever hear of that? he's a joke in the same way marilyn manson is a joke, they just don't know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

When did all music suddenly have to have a deeper meaning? When did all catchy music suddenly become an MTV-generated "ploy"?

Let's just review here, boys and girls..
    A quick perusal of the tracklist of "I get wet":
    1. It's Time to Party
    2. Party Hard

8. Party Til You Puke
    9. Fun Night

Four of the 12 songs are specifically about having a good time - three of them going so far as to contain the word "Party" in their titles. Have we gotten the clue about what type of music this is yet? That's right! It's party music! No deep meanings here. The song "Fun night"? I bet it's about having a fun night.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with instantly accessible, catchy songs, no matter what audience picks up on them, whether they're teenyboppers or NME-reading fucktards.

Haters.

Originally posted by Manufractured Individual

...Niall?

i'm guessing that this can only be sparky...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Gotta disagree with you screamager - sure Andrew WK's music is meaningless, not exactly life-changing blah blah blah, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Marilyn Manson. If you ignore the image, Manson's music is brilliant, and he's got more musical talent in his cruciate ligaments than WK has in his whole body! So there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

i wasn't really talkin bout his music. i just meant that he has a cartoon image, same as andrew WK. how can you ignore Mansons image? ah i dont care.

ObeyGiant hit the nail on the head in his last post anyways.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irokie

i'm guessing that this can only be sparky...

Indeed it is.

*takes a bow*

Advertisement