Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power net users in for a nasty surprise this year

Options
  • 15-01-2002 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

The powernet service in Limerick was a trial run its a shame they didnt tell anyone

Take a look at the prices they intend to offer residential customers.

At least they got the issue of having two accounts at one address sorted kind of

>
    Original Message
    > From: Sarah Lawless
    > Sent: 14 January 2002 15:02
    > To: 'francisdunne@eircom.net'
    > Cc: Susan curtin
    > Subject: FW: PowerNet for residential customers
    >
    > Dear Francis,
    >
    > Thank you for your email. I tried to call you today at 14.14pm but the
    > phone rang out so I have addressed certain points below in some detail.
    >
    > 1. Residential availability of product
    >
    > PowerNet has been on "trial" phase from early 2001 until December 2001-
    > while we tested the product spec, configuration, support methods and
    > pricing points. We ceased to sell it at a residential rate in December
    > 2001, as it is (and was developed as) a Business Service. It was always
    > intended to offer high speed Internet connectivity to teleworkers and
    > small LAN office workers. A home user may still purchase it, but they
    > will pay the minimum charge of £199 installation and £80 per month (Or EUR
    > equivalent)
    >
    > 2. License obligations
    >
    > The license does not stipulate a timeframe by which we offer individual
    > products- or what part relates to business and residential customers.
    > Chorus plans to develop a lower-spec version of PowerNet via cable and
    > wireless (where we have infrastructure) to offer at a residential rate.
    > The capacity and monthly traffic rates would be lower than the existing
    > product. The ODTR realises that the rollout of all of the products in our
    > agreement require considerable investment and time and we have done well
    > to broaden the product range thus far. PowerNet was planned to be
    > available at a lower spec for residential at the same time as business,
    > but after the year of trials we now know we must have a separate product
    > for residential with e completely different technical configuration.
    >
    > 3. "Discriminatory" policies
    >
    > There is a system issue whereby if your address is registered for a
    > residential product (TV) and you wish to add a Business (PowerNet/ PRI/
    > INternet Leased Line) product, the system will not allow it. However, we
    > can set up a new, separate account to register you as a new PowerNet user,
    > if required.
    >
    > Here are the PowerNet details, please feel free to mail me with any
    > comments/questions you may have.
    >
    > Single PC £250 install, £80 per month, up to 1mb downstream, up to
    > 256K Upstream
    > LAN £299 install, £200 per month, up to 2Mb downstream, up to
    > 512K Upstream
    >
    > As it is based on direct line of sight to our wireless base station, I can
    > advise that you are probably in the range, but the height of your premises
    > and those around you will dictate serviceability.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Sarah
    >
    >
    > Sarah Lawless
    > National Sales Manager
    > Chorus Business Services
    >

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

To me that still sounds like a very sweet deal for 1mb down and 256K upstream.

I would buy the 2mb one even if that was all they were selling.

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

not if you knew that residential customers were paying $40 for a better service

Im waiting to find out if those same residential customers are going to have their current connection ripped out and replaced with either the lower spec service or will they receive a bill of 80 notes when they were expecting one for 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Since Chorus started offering their residential Powernet service I actually had a modicum of admiration for them. How foolish I was :o

Since this is "business" pricing I am assuming VAT is not included.

Will existing customers be allowed to continue to use it indefinitely, or get the new service for £40.

Powernet had a 12 month contract as I recall. Does it work both ways: If Chorus installed it in November 2001 must they supply it until November 2002?

Could their initial pricing have been based on the assumption that Eircom would now be offering FRIACO and ADSL for £20 and £40? Now that it seems likely that Eircom will get away with > €125 for ADSL, if it ever arrives, have Chorus decided to revise their products and pricing to compete with that?
    Originally posted by fcddunne
    The license does not stipulate a timeframe by which we offer individual
    > products- or what part relates to business and residential customers.
    > The ODTR realises that the rollout of all of the products in our
    > agreement require considerable investment and time and we have done well
    > to broaden the product range thus far.

I feel that this reflects poorly on the ODTR for several reasons. Firstly, was the ODTR aware that this was just a trial? Secondly the license seems to be poorly worded if they are allowed to offer one product for several months, perhaps long enough to develop a dependence on it, and then replace it with a product that costs twice the price. Chorus have a national license and, as far as I know, they've placed a transmitter on a single mast in Limerick. Is this pace acceptable to the ODTR?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i have to agree with fcddunne, 80 quid for 1mbps always on connection ... man, thats sweet !

I know how much a 1Mb leased line to the internet costs .. so 80 quid a month is by far, much MUCH better !

any news about chorus launching powernet in dublin yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Agreed, £80 is very good for 1Mb. Very favourable when compared to other countries.

However, as nice as it is, how many people need a 1Mb connection? The entire college of UCC with about 15000 people has a 10Mb* connection!

Surely it would make more sense to spread it out. Even double the intake at 256k for £40

*old information

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by ando
    I know how much a 1Mb leased line to the internet costs .. so 80 quid a month is by far, much MUCH better !

I was reading some emails I got from Chorus in April about Powernet. At that time the £80pm service had a 6GB cap (and 2p per MB after that) and the £150pm service had a 10GB cap (and 1p per MB after that). Also, I notice that their email says up to certain speeds. I wonder how it would compare with a leased line rated at the same speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by timod
    The entire college of UCC with about 15000 people has a 10Mb* connection!

*old information

Its 26mb now Tim, which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

In the email they seem to be stating that they are under no obligation to offer this service though. How long have we been waiting already for this service ?

Delay delay FUD delay FUD empty promise delay FUD

Chorus should be renamed by popular opnion to Curse Us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

i have the residentual package for about 6 months and i am still paying £40 a month and i have not been informed that they are increasing the price or cutting me off. my friend just got the last residentual instalation that they were doing, about a week ago so it doesnt look like they will b cutting off existing customers or charging us more but if they do i will crack up i love my net connect O MY GOD i can bear 2 loose it !!!!!!! [think happy taughts happy taughts]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

have the residentual package for about 6 months and i am still paying £40 a month and i have not been informed that they are increasing the price or cutting me off. my friend just got the last residentual instalation that they were doing, about a week ago so it doesnt look like they will b cutting off existing customers or charging us more but if they do i will crack up i love my net connect O MY GOD i can bear 2 loose it !!!!!!! [think happy taughts happy taughts]

This is what I am on about why should I be expected to pay £80 a month when people like this are only paying £40

• Advertisement
Advertisement