Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick help needed!!!

• 29-09-2000 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

OK, we got a guy here in work who knows a bit about PCs. Fine. all very nice.

Each of the new pcs here has a 12 gig unformatted free space on the local drive (we keep it as a "spare" bit in case of emergency... the more space people have the more crap they store)..
    Well, Bob (not his real name smile.gif ), decided he wanted that extra space. As London insist that each eprson be set up as the administrator of their own PC (access permissions to certain executables on the network) Bob discover that he can get into the disk manager...

In short.
    New partition goes up.
    Bob makes new, empty partition the active one (he thought that was how you format it),
    restarts PC
    And bingo, boot up stalls when the machine toddles off to look for the Windows NT4 (SP5) OS on the newly formed and active "D" instead of the original and now inactive "C".

Haven't got a boot disk for this PC.

How do I get it to boot up enough so that I can swith C back to active?

/me shakes head slowly and begins to cry...... God is cruel sometimes frown.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

it's OK,

got it sorted.

In an act of desperation, I used a 95 boot disk to access fdisk and switch the active disk settings smile.gif

Sometimes, it's the stupid options that work best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

aww... and I was JUST gonna suggest that too!!!>.. seriously wink.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

"Sometimes, it's the stupid options that work best!" er..... thats what you had to do....fdisk is a great little app...god bless the person that made it

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I know, I was referring to the general idea of using a 95 boot disk in an NT machine.

It was a case of, "well I've tried everything I can think of, I may as well give it a go!" smile.gif

hmmm, maybe it is obvious, but I didn't think so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

A FAT partition is a FAT partition in any OS's language.
    Now if it was NTFS..... Discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

HE HE, I was faced weith something similar, with a NT station running a fibre raid, some muppet installed a serial mouse driver that knocked the system off. No such look booting with the 95 boot disk GOD DAMN NTFS. Anyway ended up that I lost 2 months on editing work, or 90 Gb of video. DUMB BÁSTARDS. Anyway, were well on course now.

John

Advertisement