Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many mp3s have you got ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

OJ what program will i use 2 list them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by tibor

love that low quality sound.

Well, tbh, even at 128kbps on my sh|tty speakers they sound great. at 160-192kbps you'd need finely tuned ears (and equipment to really differentiate between them and CDs.

Besides, if it's true audio clarity you'd be using Super Audio CD, DVD-Audio or DAT tape connected to lots of Hi-Fi equipment imported from some little know Japanese hand-crafted-in-the-home type speakers where they make the paneling from little trees exactly the same size as the speaker.
    Much like Aprés Match's Cianti Moon Boot.

Course, you'd have em hooked up using Fibre-optic the whole way, or triple shielded depleted uranium coated silken-main-of-the-mythical-unicorn type connections.
    If you were serious about it.
    Heck, even 96kbps is ok.

hmm.... Fibre-optic, triple shielded depleted uranium coated silken-main-of-the-mythical-unicorn connectors i must have a look in compustore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Oh, btw, I have about 4000 mp3s scattered on many CDs in many .tar files.
    Thank god for linux, AGSat and a fast net connection :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

You can use Winamp
    or search for a program called "list files"
    or "list mp3 files"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Originally posted by SyxPak

Well, tbh, even at 128kbps on my sh|tty speakers they sound great.

****ty speakers. theres ur problem.

at 160-192kbps you'd need finely tuned ears (and equipment to really differentiate between them and CDs.

it's quite blatant on my comp(sound blaster live card and boston acoustics ba7500 speakers) the difference between 192kbps mp3s and cds. it's even more blatant if you go from playin a cd on a decent hifi setup to the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

pfffft not been into mp3's much
    about 5-6k tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I thought that i was doing well with 700+ mp3s. :(

As for those that say they have 10,000 and 12,000, well im skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I wouldn't say I'm skeptical, I'm just in awe at the waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

i have around 700/800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

In answer to the sceptisism and the waste of space issues, i do have almost 12,000 i posted a link to a list of the albums in another thread here recently, and I don't keep them on a harddrive, i keep them on what is currently 88 CDR's but if I get a big enough harddrive I'll throw them on to it.

Also it seems a lot of ppl are saying how many they've lost rather than how many they have, perhaps you should all look into storing them on CD yourselves and this wouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

One thousand.

And two.

_- and about 250 CD's waiting to be encoded for DJ'ing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by phaxx

http://www.sleepygeek.org/stuff/mp3list.txt (240k)

In true beardy linux man format, plain text.

Given the Plethora of good music on your HD, I cant believe you dont have any Stone Temple Pilots:rolleyes:

STP....Suck 'em and See:)

[Please forgive Shameless plug]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Only 500ish :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

1781 mp3 files locally... and a similar amount available on a network drive.

Woo.

(btw, i use my hi-fi as my computer's speakers, nice sound :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

only 57

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What kbps are your mp3s in? I find that if you are gonna brun the mp3s the kbps should be at least 160, preferably 192

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most of mine (ones that I ripped from my own cd's) are encoding using variable bit rates, which gives quite good quality. I'd say its somewhat similar to 160kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

15000 ... grows by a coupld hundred every day ...

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~hostyle/catalog.txt

i think that needs updating though ...

/me hates the flu ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

nice collection hostyle... i can safely say i've never seen so many marylin manson mp3s. Whether thats good or bad is another matter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by hostyle
    15000 ... grows by a coupld hundred every day ...

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~hostyle/catalog.txt

You see there is a man with the Stone Temple Pilots on his HD. Good Stuff hostyle- Like most of your tunes BTW:)

[Sorry...Shameless Plug No.2 in the same thread.....Apologies once again!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

I have none. Not a single one, and wouldn't know what to do with it if i had. I have hundreds of CD's though and I still buy some vinyl (remember that!), and I love them all like they are my children. And if you can find me a digitally encoded 2 bit hd lunar phizer as beautiful as my yellow and black marbled vinyl Lemonheads 7" single, or then I will eat my hat and your computer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Don't knock MP3 it's a wonderful way for people to discover new music and for musicians to have their music discovered.

and don't laugh at my lack of MP3 nerdiness

it's also a great way to steal music but theres none of that going on at all...

no there is none of that here i purchased ill by cds all 1000 no 2000 no 3000 i swear it cost me hundereds no no no thosands ££
    Posted by mr decisive

you know if you actually bought 3000 albums on cd, with an album going for roughly £18 thats £ not €, it would run you up about £54,000

what can i say i get a lot of pocket money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

and lets say he bought them over two years..... then it only really cost him £27,000, which is really just "chump change".

• Advertisement

what can i say, we are poor my parents can only give me what they have to spare. i know its not much but ill have 2 make do with it ;)

Advertisement