Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Trip To Your Fair City

Options
  • 15-01-2002 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Ah, your fair city!

Should I write this as a travelogue? hmmm

I arrived in Dublin Airport at 8:00 and by half 9, was on the No. 41 bus proceeding toward the fair city's center, observing the mentally disturbed, the poor and abandoned whose lives have been wrought from a quarry of suffering.

Or should I just bullet this with quick and sharp blurbs of insight like you find on the back of a tea box?

took the 41 from the airport to somewhere north of the Liffey, near Abbott St., I suppose. Walked to my hotel at Temple Bar and then launched into exploration of the city. It was a Thursday. Not many people on the streets. The city smelled like diesel, hopps and some kind of European standard deodorant.

Gosh, I don't know. I'm still a tad fatigued from my trip. So I'll have to reflect some more about this. Perhaps I can whet your appetite though with some initial thoughts.

*Up until Sunday, the friendliest person was the Pakastani lad who served me Haagen Daz over in Temple Bar. I engaged him in conversation and he responded warmly (mental note: he was Pakistani and I American and we conversed without referring to Osama). *Sunday afternoon was a beautiful day of weather. I actually could see blue sky and the sun was spilling over everything like Guinness cream over a bar. *I liked the book of Kells. *I liked the Guinness but preferred Harp (and got all kinds of insight about how stupid that was of me by a nice chap on Sunday afternoon). *The coast at Bray was quite lovely. I can make a better ham and cheese sandwich than the one served to me in the pub at Bray. *Dublin is full of young people and has such a history and is so ancient--these two characteristics intrigue me to no end. *The music at Christ Church is better than the music at St. Patrick's. *Someone should clean the pigeon **** off O'Connell's statue--what kind of way is that to treat a statue of the liberator? *television sucks in Ireland, just like here. If the soap operas I watched are any indication then Irish people are really screwed up (one "My Fair City" and the other one, some emergency room soap that killed a poor guy because the main doc was incompetent and the doctor who was competent had been suspended for being unethical and some other soap that had a couple having a baby and the father hated his father and let him hold the baby and then told him to leave because he wasn't there for the birth). *More later.

Advertisement