Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica

Options
  • 15-01-2002 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

So. James is out of rehab, but Jason's out of the band. Lars and Kirk both have receeding hair lines. the band members are approaching forty and the band itself is at least twenty. what i wanna know is do you all think they still rock. can they still rock.

i think they still rock. but what i really want to know is when (and if) they come in November, and James is standing on that stage and he asks "C'mon mah friends, ahh yooo reddih?" are you all going to be able to answer with a resounding "foooook yeah!"

or should they quit while they're ahead (however long ago that may have been...)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

I've a lot of respect for the Metallica boys.......always did things their own way....a massive cult following without making a vid....up till One anyway..........and the Best Metal band ever in my opinion .....well from 1983- 1990......yes I still believe their first four albums are as good as metal gets..........I saw them live once 0ct 1988..... Should they call it a Day? .......well I think they've done all their best music ......maybe they should...... they lost me from the Black album onwards .......but gained millions more fans so.................... and if I was asked what one band made me wanna start playing guitar it was definitley Metallica.......... god damn from 83 - 90 they were ****in' untouchable..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Don't stop the rock till your dead.

Long live metallica.

Their not pathetic enough yet to quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

the last few albums have been suspect to say the least.......HOWEVER and it is a big however I have caught them 3 times over the past 9 years, and each show the simply blasted each fan away.

Yes Lars is old, and cant work the drums aswell as he could
    Yes Kirk is looking a lot stranger then when he first joined
    Yes Jason has left the group and become a producer
    Yes James is out of rehab

and big YES - I would say there is still plenty more to come from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Ahh.. what a topic, could go for a decade......could be a "debate of the centuuuuaarrayy"

I lost a lot of respect for the $100 Squiliion each Metallica when they started sueing people for even more dough....selling T shirts at the last gig for £15 a pop an all that....It's truely horrible, how much money does any one person need/ Anyway without sparking the napster thing off again I think that they really and truely did sell their souls......I refer you back to any of Metallica's early interviews and you'll know what Im talking about.

Musically I agree with Anony, after the black album they lost me too, all the stuff before I really liked and thought they had a real sense of pride in the quality of what they recorded.....just look at the structures of the songs, how intricate most of them are...you can tell they weren't just thrash songs.....Now they write rock tunes and its bland and un interesting compared to the older stuff.

Talented fella's without doubt but I think that its too late for them to present themselves as anything other than a band living on its past and sucking the kids dry for everything they can get.

Should they quit....why? There's still $$$$ out there that have Metallica's name written all over them......

With bitter taste - Trev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

here's MEGADETH boy again! Get over it Trev! Kirk Hammet would mince Mustaine in a baby-finger wrestling contest and deep down you know it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

You leave Megadeth outta this you swine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

as AC/DC have proved time and again, age does not matter. nor does receeding hair lines. its all about the music man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

sometimes fans and bands outgrown each other.
    in this case i think metallica outgrew a lot of their fans. they wanted to progress.
    the fans call it selling out becuase their music became more popular.nothing wrong with that.
    i personally like the music. myfav album is still going to be justice, but i love all the new stuff they have done.
    if you dont like the price of the t-shirts, dont buy one.
    if you dont want to be sued, dont break the law.

you are mixing up musical ability with something completely unrelated. i think they still rock, ive seen em 3 times over the last 10 or so years and each time they just got better and better.
    they put on a show for 3 hours and they entertain.
    they are loud and you can jump aropund and enjoy yourself.
    just because a band doesnt do what you want them to do doesnt mean theyve lost it, it means youve just drifted apart, like lost lovers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I agree with WWM.

Love all the pre-Load stuff and actually quite like the stuff they've done since.

Saw them in the Point in '96 and still think it was the best concert i was ever at, even when in the exahulted (if some what differnet genres) company of U2, R.E.M, Prodigy..etc

especially the bit where the guy lighting the explosives caught fire and had to swing on to the stage and i think it was Jason who helped put him out.:D
    And yer man lived happily ever after to i'm not being sadistic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

1st... WWM? i was gonna say that you're taking this all a little too seriously, but then i realised that i sleep with my guitar...

I'm in total agreement hat metallica still Rock and whoever brought Megadeth into this should be shot with a spoon... i was just wondering what the rest of the world thought...

thanks
    or soemthing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Well .. I've been to the last two gigs (1996 and 1999). Anyone who says they're past it and don't rock hasn't been to their gigs.

The FULL master of puppets (1999) was crazy, and "the thing that should not be" has to be "felt" to be believed!! F*ck me that was crazy! I was up in the pit ALL night last gig, and up against he barriers for the 1996 gig. I was deaf aftrer both gigs

And "Whiskey in the Jar" rocked like a b*tch in heat! :D

i was there in 99 and there was someone crowdsurfing in the balcony... nuff said

i also met them in 99...

Originally posted by irokie
    there was someone crowdsurfing in the balcony

F*cking maniac!! :D
    i also met them in 99...

2 things spring to mind here:

1) YOU JAMMY BASTID!!! :p
    2) HOW did you manage that? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"i was there in 99 and there was someone crowdsurfing in the balcony"

yeah, the ****er landed on me.

i)as to the person crowdsurfing in the balcony, he landed on me too, and nearly went off... twas great.
    ii) i met them cos i know people who know people...

is there a conspiratorial smiley i could use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KAYNINE70

Never too old to Rock N' Roll,
    Never too young to DIE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ryuji

mmmmmkay.....but they're oldskool metal, not Rock N' Roll, YOU ...BLASPHEMER!

Metallica are my gods! Favourite band they are!

Originally posted by KAYNINE70
    Never too old to Rock N' Roll,
    Never too young to DIE.

If its too loud you're too old!! ;)

Originally posted by Ryuji
    mmmmmkay.....but they're oldskool metal, not Rock N' Roll, YOU ...BLASPHEMER!

i'm right, listen to the band talk about their music and they call it rock and roll. they are also my gods (didn't you read the rest of the thread?) and if you wanna get techy they're thrash (or were)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭insanebadgergirljess

quit while they're ahead, quit while they're ahead!!!!! though admittedly i never really considered them to be ahead.i think irokie's right,they're technically stadium rock or something,but i'm not too good with the whole genres thingy.

• Advertisement

my dearest jessica, everyone else on this string says they rock and should continue to do so... so nyah yah!

or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

BLAH... I was a fan back in the day... they lost someting along the way...from the black album on really I think something was gone....nothing has matched Master of Puppets...

BUT

In spite of being rich ass...anti digital media...box set producing...aging wussie multimillionaires they are still better than all that new-metal crap that is clogging the universe of music so they may as well continue on along with Ozzie... They will never match their prime... but still they are basically quality compared to any of the nu-metal shyte.

Master of Puppets! Best album ever!

Love Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em all too.

And S&M too!

My favourite band!

Rock N' Roll? But Elvis sounds completely different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

When the age of the people who are making the music starts to matter, (Dang Good Music at that), its a sure sign that we have gone to the S H I T E S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because they have natuarally less hair and their teeth have gone to Shi_te, does that mean that the music sucks or is old or boring, these people made this music so it could last forever because as people they will die but who they were lives on in their music!!!!

To all those people who think metallica and the like suck cause their older suck, i say this - "How many million record have you sold A S S H O L E ??!!"

Its about the music, remember that man.

ONE LOVE:mad:

ferdi

Originally posted by ferdi
    To all those people who think metallica and the like suck cause their older suck, i say this - "How many million record have you sold A S S H O L E ??!!"

Its about the music, remember that man.

So eloquently put :D

i think it was Jaymz Hetfield put it best:
    "excuse me, we've come here tonight to...KICK YOUR ASS!"

and so on for 2 and more hours of pain inducing rock in the flesh.

ferdi is right all the way!

Personnally, my favourite bands are the so-called 'old' bands like
    Metallica(naturally), Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Pantera(some people call them old), Guns N Roses and AC/DC.

They rule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Engor

Metallica are my Gods too... Metallica is not just a band any more. It's a legend, a state of mind. They will never be too old-sorta like *shudders saying the name* Iggy Pop...
    Even after death, they will live on as the Kings of Rock.

Long live the Kings.

i just took out kill 'em all and realised (again) just how good it is.

if all the little twits hanging around temple bar would grab a hold of some sense and decide that they're going to start listening to the bands that are on their hoodies... and they listened to this sh*t, the world'd be a better place and slipknot would have released a much better album instead of iowa

i'm gonna get a firestorm for insulting the kids in temple bar amn't i...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BlackMagic

Metallica are a great band , never get tired listening to them

Advertisement