Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolf Tones-Music or Provo Propaganda?

Options
  • 16-01-2002 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno about you but I had'nt given the BlunderTones
    a thought for years until it was announced they were they break up and plough thier owns forrows or whatever an off-duty Tone does.

Were they little more than a Provo house band or were they simple part of the long saga of trad musos banging on about how bloody awful its been for everyone?

Are you sorry to see them leave the stage or is this a good day for music?

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fintan O'Toole wrote a nice piece in the Irish Times last Saturday, effectively dancing on their collective graves.

As for the rabid republicanism, they wrote a song about the disputed Rockall Island, invoking seagulls to peck out British eyes. A real touch of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

It seems that republicanism amongst the youth is with O'Leary in the grave. Its important that our generation doesn't forget there were good reasons why a lot of ppl our age and younger went to have themselves blown to ickle pieces in 1916 and have a balanced view of our past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is'nt much balanced about the Wolf Tones lyrics is there?

Mike.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Perhaps they'll get their own gable end in west Belfast now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

A quality Irish trad band or sectarian rabble-rousers supported by drunken Celtic-shirt-wearing sk*ngers? In my opinion, it's more of the latter than the former.

But at least no one can deny the Dylan-like quality of their lyrics... :p

"Grafitti on the walls just as the sun was going down,
    I seen graffitti on the walls( Of the CELTS, Of the CELTS),
    Graffitti on the walls that says we're Magic, We're Magic,
    Graffiti on the walls.......Graffiti on the walls........
    And it said..............
    Ooh ah up the Ra, say ooh ah up the Ra (x6)."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

been forced to listen to that rubbish for far too long in a previous job. i dont mind traditional or republican songs.
    but you get bored of go home british soldier go on home when its played constantly.
    the songs are there to remind of the old days etc, but when they start to go on and on and on about a load of old cobblers it gets on my títs.
    im with reefbreak on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The Wolftones are a bit too silly alright. The point i was beating arpund was that there is a trendy unionist type element doing the rounds in the third level institutions that sounds a little too like bad revisionism for my liking.

There's also something far more cynical in the third level institutions: intelligent, educated and astute students. Down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Thomas from Presence
    The Wolftones are a bit too silly alright. The point i was beating arpund was that there is a trendy unionist type element doing the rounds in the third level institutions that sounds a little too like bad revisionism for my liking.

I don't thinks it's 'Unionism', I think it's called 'balance' and 'respect'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Plain Skanger music.
    Aimed at people in Celtic jerseys with "Eire 32"(bit ironic) printed on the back type ****e.
    Not even good music.
    Should all be shot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Plain Skanger music.
    Aimed at people in Celtic jerseys with "Eire 32"(bit ironic) printed on the back type ****e.
    Not even good music.
    Should all be shot

Better check beneath your car, Ahamah. ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

["Grafitti on the walls just as the sun was going down,
    I seen graffitti on the walls( Of the CELTS, Of the CELTS),
    Graffitti on the walls that says we're Magic, We're Magic,
    Graffiti on the walls.......Graffiti on the walls........
    And it said..............
    Ooh ah up the Ra, say ooh ah up the Ra (x6)."

That song is so repetitive you would swear Delores O'Riardan wrote it

and I thought "Steps" breaking up was the best thing that happened to music.

The wolfe tones were people who were making money by promoting hatred and I for one am glad to see the back of them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Provo Propaganda.

Thought that years ago and haven't changed my mind since.

(there's also something worrying about the disco in Mallow that plays the Wolfe Tones at half-one (every Saturday night or so I was told when I asked). And the fact that everyone on the dance-floor jumps up and down singing the oo-aah, up the plonkers bit)

Advertisement