Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime

• 16-01-2002 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I was just wondering if there was alot of Manga / Anime fans on these forums? If so, maybe we should have a new forum just for Anime and/or Manga...
    I go to Trinity, so I tought it would be really cool to have an Anime society there (... any otakus from TCD here??)

If anyone is even remotely interested in anime, please reply to this thread.

It's a pity that Anime has had so little exposure here in Ireland; thank God I can download hundrets of episodes of various series from the web :)

Btw, my favourite series atm is Ranma 1/2, and I'm currently trying to download all the episodes of InuYasha :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Errr thanks for the site...
    It would be nice to have irish forums though.

Oh well... maybe I'm just greedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I think it may actually be hosted on this very server. Could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Here's one I did earlier... the character is a guy I redrew from some Japanese book/comic called Endless Waltz...

waltz.jpg

Wow, you drew that yourself? Very nice drawing.
    That could make a nice background image. I hope you keep up the good work :)

• Advertisement

Cheers, dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Hi Lord of Terror -

The mangatoanime site is Irish in that I run it, but we do have members from other countries besides Ireland.

If you'd like to moderate an Irish fan forum on the site it is something I'd be happy to add.

John.
    --

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

are there much anime/manga resources in ireland itself?

i know forbidden planet stock a few anime dvd's and vids, but is there anything in the rest of the country?

i know i've seen the odd anime dvd in carlow (bought ninja scroll in golden discs there), but i've yet to see anything up here in galway, or anywhere else.

there doesn't seem to be much interest.

{edit} oh, and i'd be willing to aid lord of terror in moderating the irish fan forum on mangatoanime, if he needs any :),

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

That's because when video stores do get around to importing some, they're usually hideously expensive (as far as video's go like) and go unsold :(

• Advertisement

yeah, i noticed the prices of the vids in f.planet.
    i wouldn't mind paying that kinda money for a once off, if it's good.
    but to pay it for a vid whenb it's part of a series? .. you'd end up spending *alot* of money.

ezydvd.co.au are good for anime dvd's, cheap too.

Originally posted by Cloud
    Hi Lord of Terror -

The mangatoanime site is Irish in that I run it, but we do have members from other countries besides Ireland.

If you'd like to moderate an Irish fan forum on the site it is something I'd be happy to add.

John.
    --

Hi Cloud,
    That sounds like a very interesting idea, but do you think there would be enough irish otakus to post there?
    Mordeth
    {edit} oh, and i'd be willing to aid lord of terror in moderating the irish fan forum on mangatoanime, if he needs any

I don't know as much about anime/manga as I'd like to, so any help would be great :)
    Would any other boards.ie poster out there visit the forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

You'll find that there are a good few manga/anime fans on Boards.ie and I think some are also members of MangaToAnime (myself included).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

The guy in your pic is Heero Yui from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, and did you really draw that free hand or is it a screen grab, it looks like a screen grab, from a DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MetroDuck

Sky Digital have been broadcasting a lot of anime/mange recently.

Cartoon Network have been showing programmes such as Tenchi Muyo, Gundam Wing (I believe they also showed the movie Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz last month) , and Dragonball Z.

Also the sci-fi channel(on sky digital) show a manga movie every Saturday at midnight...

And I think fox kids have beed showing Card Captors every weekend morning...

The only problem being that you need digital.

Dave,

I don't lie about my art. As i said, it's redrawn from a book (I know fúck all about it - was brought back from Japan for me by a friend... and I don't have a DVD drive :)). I drew it at about A5 size, scanned it and edited it in Photoshop (mostly just adding colour and shades). Then did the image around it.

-Ross

Cartoon Network also showed Blue Sub 6 last month - interesting.

If Mord and LOT are still up for moderating an Irish Otakus board, register at the M2A site and I'll set it up.

cloud, i'm registered there :)

i have sky digital thankfully :) and i know sc-fi used to show the odd anime flick, didn't know they still did though.
    the only trouble is i have digital back home in castledermot, not here in galway :(

I've just set up an account at M2A with the same username.
    What would you think would be a good name for the forum? Maybe it shouldnt contain the word "Otaku" as it is considered so offensive in japan.

Pity I don't have sky digital... I'm living by myself so it would be too expensive for me :(

paddyslair
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Beaver,

Anychance you'd post a quick tutorial on how you shaded that, I drew a picture and scanned it in, I shaded it in photoshop, but it looked nowhere near as good as yours. Here's my effort...

anime2.jpg

Will do, Dave. Gimme a day or two though.

Your style is much more sketchy (in that you've got more thinner lines whereas I've got a few heavier lines) than mine here. I'm wondering if the shading would work as well on your image. Whenever I've attempted manga-style pieces I've pretty much always adopted an approach of using as few lines as possible...

Cool! I've added a forum called Ireland for now, but I think we can get a better name later on.

I've found a site called Eirtaku from UCC so I'll see if we can get them on board.

www.mangatoanime.com

neet, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Someone explain to me, what the fup is an Otaku? :D

in this context, anime/manga fan i guess
    :)
    means obsessive or something in japanese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeah, I'd be interested too......Otaku?

Saw Wind of Amnesia over in my cousin's house one nighht on Sci-Fi about 6 months ago.

have a good few anime divxes from the GLans. liked them alot.

Animation is so far above western stuff, specially the movement and character interaction with background.

"have a good few anime divxes from the GLans. liked them alot.
    "

why didn't ya say that at the time! gimme! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Anyone know if the series is available here on DVD yet?

I have discs 1 and 2. Need 3 - 8.

Will pay what is necessary! If necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I'm a huge fan of anime, Im currently trying to find somebody who would be interested in teaching me how to do it myself... so I can make flash movies and be one of the very few irish anime artists :)

oh, and those films that are on sci fi on sat midnight are class

Advertisement