Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Macs and Win2k over TCP/IP

Options
  • 16-01-2002 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I need to connect several macs (which afaik are allready networked) running between OS8.5 and 9.1 over CAT5 using TCP/IP to a Win2k machine mainly for filesharing and backup and stuff.

Can it be done??

On a side note, if a G4 with Quake3 was assigned an IP and connected to a switch with a load of PCs(again all with manually set IPs) playing Quake, could it join in using TCP/IP???

I'm repeating this question in Technology and MS OS because I need an answer fast and I feel it applies to these three boards.
    Mods, delete as you wish :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

slick piece of software called PC MacLan that you can get. It actually creates an AppleTalk environment for your PC and Mac's.

You can download a trial @ http://www.miramar.com/

I don't think you can do it over TCP/IP easily; You will be able to do it a lot easier in OS X but I'm only starting to learn about that now so I'm no use to you.

On the side note; I'm fairly sure that no, the programs are fundamentally different. So you can't join a PC game from a Mac computer and vice versa.

[on edit] it seems I might be wrong about Quake; I only really remember this from Civilisation 2 being fundamentally different (obviously a bit of difference in the way the games are set up)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you can MacShare in NT server, but other wise i dont know of any way.
    macshare is under server manager for domains.
    sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

thanks for the replies lads. pity about it.......

I'm just 'researching' this for a friend, so I'm not quite sure what setups they have. None have MacOSX anyways......

Shame about Quake3 too :( I think it was SeanGandalf who wanted to come to the GalwayLAN3, but he only had a Mac [:snigger:].

Ah well....onto check the Tech board...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Where i work we have pc's, macs linux and irix boxes all sharing the same network. It can be done, not sure how tho. I know all our servers are linux if that helps.

I used to play quakeworld on a mac all the time (before the nasty firewall was installed). Is there a difference between connecting to an internet game via tcp and connecting to a lan game via tcp? The internet is just a big network. The server doesnt care where the tcp packets are coming from, just that they are quake tcp packets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

everything you need to know about connecting a windows box to a mac may be found at http://www.macwindows.com

piece of piss using pcmaclan/dave or other utilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Class lads. I have downloaded the PCMACLAN thing allready. I don't think the guy wants to use shareware just yet. He might though. I'll talk to him tomorrow.

Knew i could reliy on 'Deh Boards' for this. :)

/me is a happy networking camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Well G'Wan over to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39128 and support the idea of a Mac forum.

Advertisement