Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Macs and Win2k over CAT5

Options
  • 16-01-2002 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I need to connect several macs (which afaik are allready networked) running between OS8.5 and 9.1 over CAT5 using TCP/IP to a Win2k machine mainly for filesharing and backup and stuff.

Can it be done??

On a side note, if a G4 with Quake3 was assigned an IP and connected to a switch with a load of PCs(again all with manually set IPs) playing Quake, could it join in using TCP/IP???

I'm repeating this question in Technology and Nets/Comms because I need an answer fast and I feel it applies to these three boards.
    Mods, delete as you wish :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Hmmm, if it was just for Printing you could install AppleTalk on the Win2K box, but afaik you can't share files with a windows machine for pre MacOSX systems unless you use a shareware program called "Dave "

Hmmmm, wheres my Imac for Dummies book .....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Balls.

I think they have some Mac software for networking. Don't have a clue what it's called or what it can do though :(

I saw the Appletalk protocall in Win2k Network Properties, and surely there is some way to get them talking over TCP/IP???
    If the Internet can do it why not a LAN?

Oh they can talk using the tcp/ip protocol, the whole "I see you baby " is going on, but sharing files and folders is a MS windows protocol not a standard one.

The shareware called Dave handles this. U can however install samba on MacOSX and that will work, if u wish.

They only have OS8.5 and 9.1.
    The 9.1 is a G4 and the 8.5s are PPCs afaik.
    Not a hope of them touching OSX cos they have all this swish software very nicely setup allready and their whole business kinda depends on it.

Hows your linux skills ? I dunno would it work but you may be able to configure a linux machine to act as a go between for the machines.

I'm just wondering would Virtual PC on the mac work for the sharing idea ? Hmmm

/me goes to check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I know NT4 used to have an option to create a MacShare that could be access by both PCs and Macs.. Haven't tried it in 2K tho so not sure what options there are for it. NT4 Server worked brilliantly tho..

Gamb

There's a slight chance it *could* be Win2K Server. A slight chance.
    And yes, it has to be Win2k :(

Linux is not an option. No spare machine, and no-one there know linux. As though the fact they use MACs didn't give it away......
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

in my bordum i googled and found this

http://www.darryl.com/winmacfaq/winmacfaq-5.html

it should help

Advertisement