Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Macs and Win2k over CAT5

• 16-01-2002 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I need to connect several macs (which afaik are allready networked) running between OS8.5 and 9.1 over CAT5 using TCP/IP to a Win2k machine mainly for filesharing and backup and stuff.

Can it be done??

On a side note, if a G4 with Quake3 was assigned an IP and connected to a switch with a load of PCs(again all with manually set IPs) playing Quake, could it join in using TCP/IP???

I'm repeating this question in Nets/Comms and MS OS because I need an answer fast and I feel it applies to these three boards.
    Mods, delete as you wish :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Get PC MACLAN here www.miramar.com

dont know about games

jbkenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I need to connect several macs (which afaik are allready networked) running between OS8.5 and 9.1 over CAT5 using TCP/IP to a Win2k machine mainly for filesharing and backup and stuff.

Yes this is damn easy if you have Win2k Server, just enable Services for Macintosh. If it's only Win2k professional then i'm not sure. Win2k has support for Appletalk but dunno if you'll need a third party app off hand.

On a side note, if a G4 with Quake3 was assigned an IP and connected to a switch with a load of PCs(again all with manually set IPs) playing Quake, could it join in using TCP/IP???

To my knowledge as long as all the Quake versions are the same then this should be no problem at all.

gl Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

meglome

knows more about this then me *LOL*

(see my reply on the other Net/Comms board)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah I was thinking much the same Meg, about all the above.
    Think it's only Pro, but I honestly don't know.
    He has something on the macs for networking, don't know what it's called or what it does though.

Thanks for the help people.

That miramar thing should be good.
    Is it available in Ireland?

/me goes off looking for one of those 'security' sites.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

but I'm sure there are other people out there. One thing is that it is fairly smart software; you can't buy one copy and use if for all the PCs (although my memory is that you can use it for as many macs as you like).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I've my gfs mac cube networked to our 3 pc network at home. I use maclan as Win2kPro doesn't have the appletalk server whick win2k server and advanced server have. Maclan is pretty sweet though. Drop me a mail for extra info logic1(at)esatclear.ie.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Sorry I missed this bit:

PC Maclan is basically needed for file sharing as you need some sort of apple talk layer for macs but as far as straight connectivity goes I believe you could assign ips to a mac and join a quake game. For instance the mac at home gets it's ip via dhcp then can access the internet through our pc gateway without pcmaclan so my guess is a mac with an ip on a network could most likely join a network game of quake with the pcs.

.logic.

Win2kPro has the AppleTalk protocall doesn't it? Not the fileserver thing.

I've downloaded MACLAN and the PDF manual.
    I won't be using it myself, but can I pass on your email to my friend?
    Twould be more direct :)

Do Macs do UDP/IP and/or IPX/SPX aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

What kind of network do ye want to set up?
    Peer-to-peer or have you got a server?

Pretty much Peer To Peer afaik. Might be using the Win2K machine as a temporary file storage and/or backup. I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Much more importantly, did you get quake running?:)

Advertisement