Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a DVD drive - Need advice

• 26-09-2000 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

Yep , make sure there is not hardware region lock on the drive - can be sneaky. I don't think Toshiba's are hardware locked (At least not up the the 6x drives anyway). If you're stuck you could try overclockers.co.uk , they have non-locked pioneer 10x drives.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

DVD drive are so expensive though. I can sell u the complete creative 6x kit for about £150. You can then watch dvd's on the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

peats have a Toshiba for 100 and i have that running on my p2 400 with a g-force its working just fine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Currently running CeleronII @ 927mhz. Tnt2 32mb gfx card. 256 MB ram. Want to buy a DVD drive and would appreciate advice recomendations. Will software be enough with this config or do I need a hardware decoder ?
    How much am I looking at spending ? Where should I buy ?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

A 400+mhz machine is good enough for software mpeg-2 decoding so no need for a hardware decoder. You're machine is fast enough for mpeg-4 decoding too. Just go find the cheapest, non-hardware region coded dvd-drive i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Chubby is right - your machine should be well fast enough to use software decoding.

I forget the name of my drive but it's a Tosiba Combo drive. It had no hardware region settings, it can copy to CD-Rs and CD-RWs and came with a good bunch of software (saved me downloading which would take days with my connection), a movie player with built-in software decoder, plus Direct CD and Easy CD for making - you've guessed it........CDs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Cheers folks.

I dont really think peats have a drive for 100. It looks like 140 on their website for an 8x drive. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I bought a very good DVD drive (don't remember the speed but think it was 6x) about a year or so ago from MCI in Tallaght. (Phone 4511325) The price was £70+VAT at the time, albeit that that was a trade price, but I'm very sure they could sort you out with a damn good deal. They're a trade only organisation, so if you have to buy retail, you could try a dealer of theirs, like ACS in Malahide (Phone 8464200).

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Thats pretty good, even considering it was a while ago. There have been major shortages ongoing since around christmas, which pushed the price stupidly high. I think people like peats are content to let it sit at that high level. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

searches recipts for price of his dvd ............................ a yes it was a cople of months back but it was 100 . without software or any othere stuff .

• Advertisement

So technically, they DON'T have a dvd drive for 100, and it was quite a few months ago. gg.

Advertisement