Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CAO Deadline is getting closer......

Options
  • 16-01-2002 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

OK, for most of you doing your leaving, you will have aspirations to go on to some form of college course. This means the good old CAO. I'm not going to bother with a big long post. You (should) have your CAO handbook, which tells you everything you need to know. I strongly advise reading the whole thing cover to cover. Read it on the toilet or on the bus, what else have you got to do? That's how I familiarised myself with it. :)

Seeing as it's the 16th of January, and the deadline is the 1st of February, I strongly advise sending it out ASAP. Next Monday(21st) at the latest. The CAO get thousands of applications every year, so you have to give plenty of time for yours to get there, and for you to get a confirmation slip back (OK, plenty of time would have been last week, but Monday's fine.)

Don't really know what you want to do? It doesn't matter. Pick what you think is the most likely thing you would like to do and send it out - you can change your mind later, when you're not being so pressurised to choose.
    AND REMEMBER: Do not fill up your choices just for the sake of it, or put medicine or architecture at the top "'cos you're not gonna get it anyway". Believe me, YOU CAN NEVER KNOW. Plenty of people did that in my year and ended up doing some rock hard course, or having to take a year out and reapply the next year. Don't take chances with this. :)

Feel free to post up questions about applying, if you're really confuddled, I'll try give these highest priority in replying :)

[Oh, and if you lost your handbook, messed up your application form, or didn't get the updates to the handbook, they're all available for download on the CAO website. http://www.cao.ie/applications/downloads.htm ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

actually as far as i remember (afair) the application just has to arrive by the deadline then the fee is just the normal fee its only when the application arrives after the date that you are charged the higher fee. This means that as long as you post it by the day before in guaranteed next day post you should be okay with that, however this is only afair so dont rest on your lawrels you should still try to get it out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's gotta be in the CAO office before 5.15pm on the 1st February.

If not; tough. Unless you can prove that you sent it in on time (registered mail).

[wrong time PiE :) seamus]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

ohhh lovely linky ty seamus i really should have known to check for updates being an All Knowing Repeat :) there is some great advice there seamus especially the ah i`ll stick that down i wont get it anyway trust me people often under estimate their abilities so put down the right course.
    Oh and i`m sure you`ve heard this all before but choose the course you want not what your auld pair or guardian or whoever wants you to do because you probably will have a good 20+ years in that career so ya betta like it :) .
    anyway the cao is no sweat apply online if ya want its handy and ya got plenty of proof ya sent it in anyway i`ll try help ye newbees along with seamus ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

What subjects are you all going for? I'm going to do arts!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Aren't you in UCD already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I have no idea what i am doing although it's almost certain i will be staying in Cork. YOu may have read my other post concerning Elec Eng/ Comp Science, i'd like to do Elec Eng but the hard work frightens me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Im going to apply online, has anyone gone this route already?

Do you have any advise etc.

ty for any info offered.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

How much does it cost to send it btw?
    too lazy to go looking upstairs for the form.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OJ you lazy ****, to apply online costs €20, to apply by post costs €30. (€40 and €60 if you're late).

Chernobyl - I'd strongly advise applying online. It's cheaper than applying by post, and you get your application checked straight away, so if you make a mistake you don't have to pay any extra, wait for it to be posted back, etc etc. All you need to do is pay the fee using some payment form (that you were supplied with;)) and follow the instructions here http://www.cao.ie/applications/applications.htm
    You can also do a 'demo' application to check you know what you're doing, etc etc.
    Other benefits include - changing your mind as many times as you want without the whole postal thing - pretty sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Im going to apply online, has anyone gone this route already?

I applied online last year and its a breeze much handier than post and well more reliable

you still have to go to the bank to pay the thing then just quote the #

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Thanks for the info guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I'm going the Online way i think. Cheaper, easier, and you can check your offers online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Online all the way for me...but I have to go through some Extra spooging around for this NCVA cert. thingy :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can also check your offers online if you go the snail mail way too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Submitted mine just there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jesus, cuttin it fine OJ......All I can say to anyone who hasn't sent it in....DO IT NOW!!! OK, it's not critical, but believe me, when you start college next year, you'll feel like **** every time you have to ask your parents for money(and you will, over and over and.....), so try save them some now :). Also you may have to have it in by friday if you wanna do some courses. Thread being unstickied, 'cos the deadline is rght on top of you now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Sent mine about 5 minutes ago. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Submitted at 1:46pm today, ty intarwab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nanti

HeY How r u ?:)
    Just wanted to ask that , when they ask us to submit our documents as soon as possible while completing the application in CAO , How do we send the documents ?
    To their P.O.BOX address ?:D

Thx a Lot in Advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Do not leave it to the last day when applying online, the CAO site was ridiculously slow cause loads were applying at the last minute last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

This may seem like a stupid question, but do you actually have click somewhere to submit the online application? Or is it just automatically submitted on Feb 1st? My careers teacher told me that it's the latter but just want to be sure! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Bumping a thread from 8 years ago? Hmmm price has gone up by €5 since then:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement