Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resistance Is Futile! We Own Your Lives....

• 16-01-2002 3:44pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, Cloud and I have been playing with this all lunchtime. It is going to crash the economy but who cares.

This is hard to explain so just try it and revel in its utter leetness. Or dont and have a career.

What is it? Its a ticker tape window on your task bar in Windows 98 or higher computer (also works on Windows 95 with IE5+ installed), which will scroll the latest threads for you.

To install the ticker follow these instructions:

Right-click on your Taskbar and go to toolbars->new toolbar

Type "http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/ticker.php" without the quotes in the location box

Click OK

Stretch the new window you see so that its the right size (small enough to be out of the way, but big enough so that it doesnt have a nasty scroll bar).
    It helps if you also right click on "Boards.ie Today" and de-select the Show Title option (that will get you some more space....)

So, try it out and let us know what you think... I think it rocks.
    One step closer to World Domination Muhahahha *cough*...

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

THAT ROCKS!!! smileyrocks.gif (it'll work once the members pages are back)

I have it set now as a single taskbar on it's own - is there anyway for the thread title and the posters name to be all width ways instead word wrapped? (I'm just nit-picking)

plyd n1 Lads :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Can't use it in NT.... I'll check it out at home later, it sounds wicked though.... marvelloush work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Yeah got it goin on my pc here too,

Takes up half my taskbar but still pretty l33t.

gg

Shad

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

unconfirmed reports suggest it requires active desktop.... works sweet on my 2k machine. We'll be feckin around with the layout and whats on it etc too, we just wanted to test it...

DeV.

Now that I've been thinking about it.....

It is brilliant. Can it be made customisable, if you continue tinkering with it (as I know yis will ;))? Rolling from bottom to top in a tiny taskbar can be hard to see, maybe if there was an option to having it scrolling left->right or right->left (Like simcity 3000), and maybe to give certain forums priority? For example if someone posts in my (new ;)) forum, the ticker shows that straight away instead of queueing the topics. Anyway, I'm UBER-happy with it, I'm just giving suggestions that may no doubt cause some 'Regi says oops' moments in the future :D

[I love the way it stops scrolling when you put the cursor over the topic - Nice touch :)]

[Even more edit: Yes another suggestion (I'm wearing this ticker out I think ;)) just to put target=_blank for the links, cos as it is, I click the link and then it loads the page in the next IE window I click on, which I'm usually in the middle of typing a reply in :)]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

works nice and squiffily on XP.

thats just a bloody marvelous idea.
    can you put the football scores on there as well?

oh go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

OMG thanks for that one lads and hey youcan even turn it off if you want by click on the vbb icon (handy for us in work type peeps).

This rules :cool:

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

lovely stuff... pity I don't have an always-on connection :rolleyes:

I can't drag it off my taskbar to float somewhere like I can with the other taskbar toolbars though... mebbe its just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well ye own my life now anyway! very handy and works like a dream on the 2k machine I use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Might be some locked option Bard.

MY TASKBAR IS NOW THREE BUTTONS HIGH!!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, things that need to be changed:

1. scroll right to left if it can be done.

2. Opens in New Window rather then reusing a window. I'll have to argue for this one, but for the moment you can always right mouse-click and click Open In New Window.

3. Customisable. I would like for it to only show threads from boards you have Subscribed to (in User CP). This will take a little time.

4. Change elements on it to: Title, Author, Board. ?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

and for those of use stuck on NT boo hiss

just load that link into a new browser window
    disable all the viewing setting (links/status/buttons/etc)

and make it small

it works out about the same
    or maybe some l33+ admin could make ticker-nt.php
    with all the setting's done already
    hth
    MiCr0

I'll do 1, 2 and 4 now.

1 is done, started scrolling right-> left nicely about 30 secs ago, just no threads :p . I should really give you some time to do stuff before posting and commenting :D Could also be adjustable speed wise, but I'm not moaning, n1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

nice one micro!
    im stuck on nt here in work, and i was all a dither about waiting to try it out.....gonna rush off to do that now.

edit: OMFG, You guys may now consider me as your mail order russian bride. this owns me

I knew it ... I KNEW you'd post and say that cloud!

GO DO SOME REAL WORK :)
    (but if you could fix that stuff first it would be sweet :) )

DeV.

I've left the scrolling thing for now, I think it was a bit confusing all the text scrolling along one line - maybe some better way to do it.

Links open in new windows, and forum name is now shown instead of replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

It's working great on my work NT(Sp6a) PC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

this is what my NT-ticker is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

OMG...
    been away for the last couple of days....

-The boards are all loading like google on a T1;)
    -The stars are back in the dhtml menus as well :D
    -And now this Taskbar.....WAAAAY COOOOLLL!!!

Word up to all involved....Well Pld:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well this is just the jiminy cricket, no more having to keep viewing new posts malarky maharjy.

Hey there is but one problem... it disnae wirk on my wee macintosh computer machine, mebbe its coz I'm sco'ish 'n all, an ma wee bairn cannae task it's bar any more. Come on pull the finger out lads, Apple Mac's are gonna take over the world mwohha haa haaaa. :)

etc.

(well done by the way)

nope, it doesnt work on Macs or Linux.
    You *can* however just open that url in a small browser and keep it at the bottom of your screen...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ye but that's just not cricket :D

Well, why would we bother with one for the Mac? No-one uses them :p. I'm sure someone runnign GNOME or KDE could come up with one of those applet yokies to do the same as the IE one :)

Originally posted by 80project
    OMG...
    been away for the last couple of days....

-The boards are all loading like google on a T1;)
    -The stars are back in the dhtml menus as well :D
    -And now this Taskbar.....WAAAAY COOOOLLL!!!

Word up to all involved....Well Pld:)

AND attatchments are now working! ... nice one :)
    Originally posted by Gordon

ye but that's just not cricket :D

yeh... but cricket sucks :)

Boards.ie is going from strength to strength... fair play, lads.

Niall,

Leave cricket alone or face of the wrath of my willow upside da head:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Lads, that is bloody great :D

Also, cricket sucks more than a sucky thing on a sucky day in sucksville.

-Stephen
    -Bard

Added to my woopass list:p

Anymore takers!?

Originally posted by 80project
    -Stephen
    -Bard

Added to my woopass list:p

Anymore takers!?