Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Broadband

Options
  • 16-01-2002 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was coming home (I live in Coolock) the other night when I happened to look out the window of the bus and saw that the path that runs besides Cadbury's/Chivers (and now also outside the new Aldi) is being dug up with signs posted for "Esat Broadband".....having looked on their website and finding nothing (it doesn't look to have been updated in months) I rang Esat myself yesterday and although the girl tried her best to find out, the only info she was able to find was that the service "should" be available to both business/residential customers but she was unable to give me any release dates/possible trial info etc.

I'm just posting this here to ask if maybe anyone else has heard anything along these lines? I've already rang Eircom 2 months back to get on the ADSL trial only to be told my line failed/I'm too far from the (Belcamp) exchange (which isn't what they told me in August incidentially :() so any information anyone may have on Esat's potential offering would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Aye, I just came across one sign coming back from lunch along the side of the street. Same story 'Esat Broadband, sorry for the inconvenience'.

This was in Tralee just along the Clash road and I didn't expect this kind of technology to be here for another while.

Things are looking up I'd say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Here's my mildly depressing interpretation of this. Any sort of communication cable being laid in the road these days will be "broadband". This just means that multiple signals can be sent down the cable. It is nolonger the case that you have thousands of strands of copper bound together like in the old days. Now you have many signals sent down one or more strands of fibre optic using some sort of multiplexing. This is called broadband.

Since the mid-nineties in the US, "broadband" has also come to mean a high speed (not hi-speed!) Internet connection to the home. Anything that delivers Internet to the house significantly faster than dial-up gets called broadband. Cable modems and xDSL have been the common means to date.

I think that the confusion between these two meanings is responsible for a lot of problems. Somewhere along the line, I believe the need for the second type of broadband gets translated into the first type and we get more regional fibre rings etc. The "last mile" issues remain unaddressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Kaiser2000
    I've already rang Eircom 2 months back to get on the ADSL trial only to be told my line failed/I'm too far from the (Belcamp) exchange (which isn't what they told me in August incidentially :().

Eircom have told you lies, I live somewhere between Northside Shopping Centre and Artane Castle (closer to Artane Caslte) and thats further away than you are and *I* have ADSL. And I'm connected to the belcamp exchange. WTF are Eircom doing telling people they are too far away from the exchange? The mind boggles.

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Originally posted by viking

Eircom have told you lies, I live somewhere between Northside Shopping Centre and Artane Castle (closer to Artane Caslte) and thats further away than you are and *I* have ADSL. And I'm connected to the belcamp exchange. WTF are Eircom doing telling people they are too far away from the exchange? The mind boggles.

viking

So do you think it'd be worth my while ringing them again or is the signup period over? I've read I may need a new line but that wouldn't be a major thing really as I already have a 2nd line for internet access only so getting that changed wouldn't be any probnlem (from the point of wanting to keep the number etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

Well "distance" in terms of dsl dosent meen straight line, there could be more kilometres of wiring form 1 exchange to a house than another of similar distance from the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Kaiser2000

So do you think it'd be worth my while ringing them again or is the signup period over?

It would definitely be worth your while ringing again especially since you were initially told you would be fine, but you'll have to wait until Eircon launch i-Stream officially. Unfortunately (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) Eircon have reached their quota for trialists.

viking

Advertisement