Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USR 56k Int voice Modem? Busy signal...

• 30-09-2000 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Ok just bought a new modem usr 56k voice int pci Brand spanking new only on the markey since mid Sept.

story so far...
    installed it and tested it out on the line worked grand..
    Eircom came installed new line. when to try out the modem... every single time I try to even dail or open the line I get a busy signal. and if i dail it from another line the same effect while the computer is hooked up(even when not turned on).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled enough times. it's strange as I didn't change the settings at all the line is fine as I have tried other modems on it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Used to have a similar problem on Gateway USr56k ISA's (Might be related). There was an adpator that came with the modem, while not needed for actual wire-crossover, the extra impedance was necessary for it to function correctly (They used to ring once and then hog the line).
    Either that or the card is faulty (most likely actually)

Actually did you buy it from the UK? They're phone lines are active on the outer 2 pins/wires, Irish are active on the inner 2. You need an adapter with a crossover to get it to work properly (Or splice your cable and join Black-Red and Yellow-Green (Using modem-socket orientation)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

Don't try any crossover sh*t yet. Just snip the two outer wires on your phone cable. Or get a cable that only has the two inner wires in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I have an issue which sounds similar.
    I have a pc, a phone cable and a little splitter adapter. When i plug the Modem into the splitter on its own, it works. When i plug the phone into the splitter on its own, it works. but when i plug the two in together, the phone does not work (when the pc isnt using the modem..duh smile.gif ). The fact that the modem is physically plugged in seems to block the phone from working. Is this the same thing? Someone mentioned crossover to me before, but it went 10 feet over my head.
    Thanks
    Dustaz
    PS the extra long cable im using worked fine with my mac, but the little splitter is new. if thats any help

Advertisement