Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isdn, dsl, 56k, wtf?

• 29-09-2000 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

i want to know what the best/fastest/most realible connections they are at the moment to the internet from within ireland. I have seen a few suggestions on the board but what I'm trying to do is find the pros and cons of all the availble isp's and what services they provoid and what different connections are avaible.

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Keeks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

atm isdn is best thats readily available, but cable and dsl are on the way.
    Although I wouldnt hold my breath for these either (since it will prolly be longer than 3 minutes and id die)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Try all the isp's, eircom and indigo are better for irish servers, ocean and unison are better for uk, esat sucks generally. As for connections, you will have to pay eircom £100 for installation, and then an extra £20 a month. Ocean is probably best for isdn.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 29-09-2000).]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I find BuyandSell.net are by far the best isp here for isdn gaming. In CS i get pings of 35-65 whereas with the other isps its more like 60-110. Similar pingwise in q2 and UT also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Cheers lads!

At least i have a starting point now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I found eircom to be exrtremely bad for ISDN. Average ping to netshop was about 90-110 and to the UK: over 200. Oceanfree (about the only other ISP that will work with an ISDN line in Monaghan....) are much better, under 50 to netshop and maybe 100 or so to the UK

I am inflatible !

• Advertisement
Advertisement