Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2

• 27-09-2000 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ... I'd like to locate a small cheap part... You know those ... erm .. thingies that you connect to your motherboard with various ports on them - like parallel, USB, serial etc. Well, I need one for a PS2 mouse port. The layout of the pins on the motherboard is as follows:
    ••
    ••
     •
    ••

I can't find the part anywhere. I trust you understand what I'm talking about from the dodgy description smile.gif

Any help would be appreciated.

- Munch
    - Sh33r l33tn35$, i tell you
    - Fortress.ie

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 27-09-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Muppet :P

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yah, I know the part you mean, can't put a name to it though.
    I'd say Peats could sort you with one, or pretty much any good parts/upgrade shops.
    Just describe what you're looking for and they should know what you're on about.

bleh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The bloke in the local computer shop seems to think that the part with the pins arranged as above is very difficult to find these days... he says one where the pins are arranged something like this is more common now:
    ••• •

I'm sure there are still a few about though.

- Munch
    - Fortress.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yah, they probably are, last time I saw one was in my 486 when I ripped it out and threw it somewhere smile.gif
    Hmmm.... even still Peats generaly have loads of bits like that.
    Or I could post you my one smile.gif

<edit> er no wait... mines not a ps2 connection, lol. Same pin arrangment on the connector thingy though. </edit>

bleh.

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 28-09-2000).]

hup hup smile.gif

• Advertisement

Well, I was able to procure the part from the local computer shop after waiting for about a week. I installed it this evening - to no avail. Windows came up with its no mouse detected warning, which by now I am quite familiar with...

So, another question arises - Do I need to move a jumper or two on my motherboard to enable the PS/2 port? I haven't got a manual for the board that I can check up in, and I don't know the exact model of the board either. If its any help, I have a description:
    Its a Via board with 3 ISA and 4 PCI slots, no AGP. USB ports are connected to a series of pins between 2 of the ISA slots. The pins for connecting the PS/2 port are on the top-right hand corner of the board, by the RAM slots. (Which are 4 simm slots containing 4x16mb simms). The CPU in this board is a P200-MMX... around 1997 vintage I think :/
    The pins for the PS/2 port are arranged like so:
    &#8226;&#8226;
     &#8226;
    &#8226;&#8226;
    &#8226;&#8226;

(yes I made a slight error above...)

If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

- Munch
    - Fortress.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I reckon you should return the port, and get a usb mouse.

Yeah, you see I have a nice PS/2 mouse here, which I'd like to use :/

- Munch
    - Fortress.ie

Oh, another thing...
    After doing a little bit of online research I've learned that those PS/2 port connectors are NOT generic... (news to me)and so won't work on all motherboards... I'd have to get one specific to my board, so I'm told.

My head is wrecked.

- Munch
    - Fortress.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yes, for socket7 boards, the are usually different for every board. However, I just remembered that the usb backplate in maplin (i used to work there) looks like it has ur pin configuration. They are on jervis st in town, they do delivery also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Most of us here are in the "IT biz"

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

As I said above, its a Via chipset - its got a P200 in it and 4 16mb simms. However I no longer need the part as I have decided to get rid of this piece of ****e biggrin.gif

The description above is far more accurate.

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 03-10-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

What's the make and model of your motherboard?

I'm in the IT biz. I can get such parts. smile.gif

Advertisement