Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harddisk partition problem

Options
  • 16-01-2002 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

I have a miniscule harddisk! A mere 3gigs! Anyway a year or so ago i installed Linux. I had it setup with windows on a dual boot. I gave 1 gig to linux and left the rest to windows. Everything was fine until i needed to give the space back to windows. However I can't find out how I do it. How can i reformat the part of the disk i want back to FAT32? Is it possible to do this without formating the entire disk?

Thanks in advance, steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's no way of getting a single 3gig disk back without full format. Unless you wanna pay for partition magic or sumthing.
    Best thing to do imo, is boot up linux, run fdisk, delete all your linux partitions and make them into one Win95 Fat32 partition ('c' I think it is). Then uninstall your dualbooter or startup windows and run 'fdisk /mbr' from the DOS prompt. Then the another 1 gig drive should appear in windows, and when you try to open it, windows will tell you it needs to be formatted. Do it. Now you have all 3 gigs back (albeit in 2 pieces) and all info intact. :)

Just amoi - why uninstall linux? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Thanks. I tried running fdisk through windows before with no joy. I try what what you said though. I like linux. I was surprised by it after I installed it. I didn't think it would be as user friendly as it was. however i couldn't get my modem to work with it, and therefore couldn't really use it. Plus theres a much better variety of programs available for windows.

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

theres afew free ware disk partition programs out there that will allow you to resize your partitions without formatting, i wont post them as i wouldnt trust them in a million years, you can find them yourself using google

Advertisement