Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VCD's

• 16-01-2002 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

Is there any program that lets you burn mpegs to VCD's so that i could watch them on my DVD/VCD player? If there is a program is quality significantly reduced depending on the quality of the actual mpeg.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

If you are using Nero, there are options to convert avi's and mpg's into vcd format before you burn it. If you don't then http://www.vcdhelp.com/ will probably have the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Chubby
    If you are using Nero, there are options to convert avi's and mpg's into vcd format before you burn it. If you don't then http://www.vcdhelp.com/ will probably have the answer.

Chubby have you tested Nero doing this conversion? iv started to do a DivX once but it was taking too long. Any idea about size or how many vcd's per movie?

Would be interesting to convert 40 ~ DivX to VCD and maybe flog a few copies :)

if anyone has tried converting AVI's,MPG's,DivX's to vcd format using Nero please let me know who it went, time, quality, quantity?

thanks,
    flame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I got a program with my Sony CD burner called WinOnCD from a company called CeQuadrat. The program is very buggy and crashes at the slightest thing, but I have burned a VCD from an mpeg file. The sad thing is, though, my DVD player will play video CD's, but the damn thing won't read CD-R's! The video CD will play, however, using Windows media player.

I am not sure if you can just go out and buy WinOnCD, AFAIK it only comes bundled with CD burners. Having said that, I would strongly discourage anybody from paying money for it as it is so buggy.

Hope this helps,

TD.

flamegrill:
    no sorry, I know Nero can do it but I've never tried it. If it's like the other stand alone converters I've seen, encoding a divx movie into vcd does take hours.

As for size, that just depends on the length of the movie. This is because these programs will convert the divx or whatever you have into the same resolution and format as a normal vcd. So typically 2 cds per movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

okies
    when u have sucesssfullt ripped your own dvd to some flavour of mpeg4/divx then u need to convert it to mpeg1 for vcd THEN use nero to burn it to the cd

• Advertisement

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    okies
    when u have sucesssfullt ripped your own dvd to some flavour of mpeg4/divx then u need to convert it to mpeg1 for vcd THEN use nero to burn it to the cd
    Jesus, if vcd is all you want, just rip the dvd directly to mpg or vcd format then. It'll save you a lot time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If it's a downloaded movie and the resolution is small, will it look crap on the VCD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Generally VCD's quality suck in comparison to dvd rips dine in divx.
    So if u are downloading (tch tch) films then go for dvd rips and ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

transfered a few mpegs to vcd and
    were quite good, better picture quality
    than watching them full screen on the computer
    maybe the dvd player has some method
    of smoothing the picture on playback

Advertisement